Designed for live sound or recording applications, the Earthworks DK7 Drum Kit System provides seven microphones tailored for drums. Included are four DM20 cardioid condenser microphones for toms and snarse, as well as two SR25 cardioid condensers for your overheads, and an SR20LS which has been specifically manufactured to handle the particularities of kick drums.
Earthworks is a company renowned for its sonic transparency, and this kit is no exception: the nature of these cardioid capsules is to provide a uniform frequency response across the field of pickup; no sound coloration will result from off-axis miking. However, where the sound is rejected, it is rejected at levels of over 30 dB, making the mics suitable for minimizing bleed from other sound sources, and rendering tracks more useful in mixing or live sound contexts.
Included with this kit are rim mounts for the DM20s microphones, clips for the other microphones, windscreens, and a rugged case to house the mics when they're not in use.
Earthworks DM20 Cardioid Condenser Microphone for Tom & Snares
The Earthworks DM20 is a cardioid condenser microphone designed for recording or amplifying live drums--specifically your snare or tom-toms. The microphone features a frequency response of 50 Hz to 20 kHz in order to capture the full tonal palette of the drum.
Earthworks is a company well-respected for their transparent sound, and the DM20 is no exception: The capsule picks up frequencies evenly around the cardioid polar pattern within 6", ensuring no frequency coloration due to off-axis capture. Furthermore, the microphone offers 32 dB of rejection from the rear, so when you need to make sure your high-hat won't bleed into your snare track, or your snare won't bleed into your tom channel, you can position the mic to cut out the offending sound without changing the tonal characteristic of the intended drum.
The DM20 can handle sound pressure levels of up to 150 dB, which makes it able to stand up to the hardest hitting drummers. Furthermore, the condenser capsule has been fashioned in such a way that the diaphragm's innate vibration has been kept to a minimum; after the transient hits, it settles into its resting state a lot quicker than comparable mics, and thus, does not blur further transients.
The capsule sits on a flexible gooseneck that remains secure no matter how hard the drummer thwacks away. It is fashioned out of stainless steel to better withstand the rigors of the road, and ships with an RM1 RimMount for mounting the mic on your snare or tom.
Key Features at a Glance
- 50 Hz to 20 kHz frequency response captures detail and dynamics of your playing
- Fast impulse response for reproducing full detail of transient attack
- Short diaphragm settling time guards against blurred transients
- Near-perfect cardioid polar pattern reproduces all specified frequencies uniformly at any position within the pattern
- 32 dB of rear rejection for mitigating bleed
- High gain before feedback
- 150 dB SPL capability for loud drum attacks
- Right-angle mic head is mounted to the gooseneck for easy positioning
- Robust housing for protecting capsule from drumstick hits
- Stiff mini-gooseneck will not move when drums are hit hard
- Heavy stainless steel construction withstands rigors of the road
- Included RM1 RimMount for mounting on rim of snare or toms
Earthworks SRW3 Foam Windscreen for SR25 and All Flex Microphones (Gray)
The Earthworks SRW3 Foam Windscreen for SR25 and All Flex Microphones in grey is designed to fit these microphone series like a glove to prevent excessive wind noise and pop. The black color makes this windscreen blend right into your microphone, making it feel like an original piece.