Capture brilliant images of coral reefs, pygmy seahorses, and blue-ringed octopi with this Ikelite Underwater Action Housing and Sony Cyber-shot RX100 III Camera Kit from B&H. The durable ABS and polycarbonate housing allows you to descend to depths as great as 200'. Its mechanical controls afford access to the important functions of the advanced, 20MP point-and-shoot digital camera, which features a Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* 24-70mm f/1.8-2.8 lens (35mm equivalent). Add an external video light to your system to ensure sufficient illumination and color accuracy on cloudy days, and when diving beyond 20' or so on clear, sunny days.
Ikelite Underwater Action Housing for Sony Cyber-shot RX100 III, RX100 IV or RX100 V
Capture Full HD 1080 video and still images at depths as far down as 200' beneath the surface with Ikelite's compact, lightweight Underwater Action Housing for the Sony Cyber-shot RX100 III, RX100 IV or RX100 V Digital Camera. The enclosure is designed primarily for video recording, as there is no strobe connector and the camera's flash is not accessible. However, quality photos are still possible with an optional constant light source at any depth or with available sunlight down to about 60' underwater.
The housing affords access to important camera functions via ergonomic, mechanical controls, including pushbuttons and a knurled dial with a small lever. Built for durability, the housing is made in the USA from a corrosion-resistant ABS and polycarbonate blend, which is light gray/white on the front, sides, top, and bottom but clear in the back to allow you to monitor the O-ring seal and rear camera controls.
The housing features a built-in, flat, optical glass lens port with a 3.0" diameter. Optional, accessory wide-angle and macro conversion lenses as well as color-correction filters can be attached to the front of the port to enhance your images.
- Features a depth rating of 200'
- Constructed by hand in USA from corrosion-resistant ABS and polycarbonate blend, which is light gray/off-white on front, sides, top, and bottom, but clear in back to allow you to monitor O-ring seal and rear camera controls
- Light gray/off-white color reflects sunlight to keep camera cool when shooting at or above water's surface, and also offers better contrast for improved viewing of camera, monitor, and O-ring seal
- Controls made of acetyl plastic
- Compact, lightweight design is well-suited to action video recording and also makes for easy storage and transport
- Designed primarily for video recording, as there is no strobe connector and the camera's flash is not accessible
- Quality photos still possible with an optional constant light source at any depth, or with available sunlight down to about 60' underwater
- Many optional lights designed for video and photo capture can be mounted to optional lighting arms for use with housing
- At depths greater than about 60', or when diving in dark conditions, an external light source is necessary to provide adequate illumination and restore colors that get absorbed by water and turned into muted blue and green shades
- Choose a light with a high lumen output, a wide and even beam, and--ideally--a daylight-balanced color temperature for best results
- To preserve natural colors of subjects and environments in images, try to stay within arm's reach of what you're shooting. The further away you go, the more light is absorbed by water--which acts like a big blue/green filter
Controls and Handling
- Affords access to important camera functions via ergonomic, mechanical controls, including push-buttons and a knurled dial with a small lever
- Shutter button, power on/off, zoom (wide/telephoto) lever, movie recording, Fn button, menu, up/down/left/right controls, FUNC/SET, playback, and delete button are all accessible
- Control symbols engraved into back of housing won't peel off or fade with time
- Central, bottom-mounted 1/4"-20 threaded hole provides attachment point for optional tray with handles, which improves balance while offering mounting points for lighting arms
- Slightly positive buoyancy in fresh water
- Built-in, flat, optical glass lens port with a scratch-resistant front element, 3.0" diameter, and 67mm filter thread
- Provides full use of the camera's zoom range without vignetting
- Optional, external, 67mm threaded wide-angle and macro accessory lenses from Ikelite, INON, Epoque, and other manufacturers can be attached directly to front of port
- Wide-angle lenses provide greater angle of coverage to allow you to fit more in frame, while macro lenses magnify your image to enable close-ups with greater clarity and detail
- Both types of conversion lenses get you closer to subjects, reducing amount of water in between you and therefore minimizing distortion
- Wide-angle lenses often result in some vignetting, which can be reduced/eliminated by zooming in, using smaller aperture, or cropping in editing/post-production phase
- Recommended WD-3 Wide Angle Dome provides mid-range angle of view with no vignetting
- Optional, external color-correction filters, available for tropical blue and green water, can be attached via press-fit method to front of port to restore hues that get absorbed underwater
- Since color filters reduce amount of light that enters lens, they are most effective in sunny conditions at depths of about 80' or less
- Color filters not recommended for use in conjunction with external lighting, as combination can throw off color accuracy in images
- Most wide-angle lenses require a filter with a 3.6" diameter
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Digital Camera
The Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Digital Camera is a versatile and advanced point-and-shoot featuring a large 20.1 megapixel 1" Exmor R CMOS sensor to produce high-resolution still imagery and full HD video. This sensor's design utilizes backside-illuminated technology to improve clarity and image quality when working in dimly-lit conditions as well as increase the sensitivity to a native ISO 12800. Benefitting the performance of this sensor is the BIONZ X image processor, which helps to produce images with smooth quality and tonal gradations as well as provide expedited performance throughout all aspects of the camera, including a continuous shooting rate of 10 fps in Speed Priority mode, shutter release lag of 0.008 sec., and XAVC S movie recording at 50 Mbps.
The built-in Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* 2.9x zoom lens provides a 35mm-equivalent focal length range of 24-70mm, covering wide-angle to portrait-length perspectives to suit working in a wide variety of environments. An f/1.8-2.8 maximum aperture benefits working in low lighting and controlling focus throughout the zoom range. Optical SteadyShot image stabilization is also available to help minimize the appearance of camera shake when working in dimly-lit conditions and with greater zoom magnifications. Furthermore, a built-in three-stop ND filter is incorporated into the camera's design to suit shooting in bright conditions with wider apertures and for greater control over how movement is depicted. The lens also features a Zeiss T* anti-reflective coating, which helps to reduce surface reflections, lens flare, and ghosting in order to produce imagery that is rich in contrast and clarity.
Complementing the imaging capabilities of the RX100 III is a sleek body design featuring both an electronic viewfinder and a tilting LCD screen. The 0.39" 1,440k-dot SVGA OLED Tru-Finder has Zeiss T*-coated optics and provides a bright, clear means for eye-level viewing. It features a unique pop-up mechanism that helps to maintain the compact form factor of the camera when carrying or if preferring to work with the rear screen. The 3.0" 1,229k-dot Xtra Fine LCD incorporates WhiteMagic technology for easier visibility in bright conditions and its tilting design permits greater usability from high, low, and front-facing angles. Furthermore, built-in Wi-Fi connectivity with NFC allows instant image sharing to, as well as remote camera control and monitoring from, linked mobile devices.
20.1MP 1" Exmor R BSI CMOS Sensor and BIONZ X Image Processor
Also benefitting the image quality, as well as overall camera performance, is the BIONZ X image processor, which provides continuous shooting up to 10 fps in Speed Priority Mode, 2.9 fps shooting with single-shot AF, a shutter lag time of just 0.008 sec., and a start-up time of 1.6 sec.
Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Lens
Benefitting the 2.9x reach of this lens, as well as supporting working in difficult lighting conditions and with longer shutter speeds, is Optical SteadyShot image stabilization, which helps to offset the effects of camera shake. When recording movies, the image stabilization utilizes an Intelligent Active Mode, which also uses electronic image stabilization to compensate for both camera shake and rolling shutter effects.
Additionally, a neutral density 0.9 filter is incorporated into the camera's design, which provides a reduction of three stops in exposure to enable working in bright conditions with wider aperture settings and for greater control over how subject movement is rendered.
For intuitive, SLR-like adjustments over a variety of camera settings, a manual control ring surrounds the lens and features a smooth, click-less design for quick and quiet changing of settings. The ring can be assigned to control a variety of features, at different values, such as zoom, aperture, and Picture Effects. A step-zoom feature can be utilized, too, to allow instant switching between commonly used focal lengths.
Full HD Video Recording
Benefitting advanced video applications, the RX100 III also supports clean HDMI output for recording uncompressed video via an optional external recorder and for real-time viewing on an accessory monitor. Recording frame rates include 24p, 60p, and 60i, and the shooting info display can be turned off during recording for a cleaner view when utilizing an external monitor.
Built-In Wi-Fi Connectivity with NFC
Additionally, PlayMemories Camera Apps are also supported via the built-in Wi-Fi connection, and allow you to personalize the camera's features depending on specific shooting styles. Apps are available to suit creating portraits, detailed close-ups, sports, time lapse, motion shot, and other specific types of imagery.
Other Camera Features
- A contrast-detection autofocus system works to acquire precise focus using single-shot or continuous AF modes. When working with moving subjects, Lock-on AF, with wide, center, and flexible spots, adjusts the target frame size as the subject moves throughout the image frame. Face detection and face registration technologies can be used to base focus on recognized faces and Eye AF is also available, which is a detail-oriented focusing function that prioritizes and dedicates focusing performance on a subject's pupil for sharply-rendered portraits.
- For manual focus control, DMF (Direct Manual Focus) and standard manual focus options are available. Benefitting precise manual focus, focus peaking can be used, which highlights edges of contrast within the frame for a more objective means of determining critical sharpness, or MF Assist is available, which enlarges the image for a better view of important details.
- A zebra function can be used for easier detection of exposure clipping to prevent overexposure.
- A dedicated Custom button permits assigning of one of 42 possible functions for instant, one-touch access to a chosen control.
- A digital level gauge detects pitch and roll types of movement and helps to produce even, consistent horizons and plumb verticals.
- Smile Shutter technology enables the camera to automatically release the shutter when a subject's smile is detected
- Multi Frame NR records consecutive images at a reduced ISO sensitivity and then composites them into a single image to realize higher effective sensitivity (up to an equivalent ISO 25600) with minimal image noise. Standard image compositing is comprised of four exposures and High image compositing utilizes 12 distinct exposures.
- Dynamic Range Optimizer (DRO) works to improve images featuring backlit subjects or scenes with high contrast where details can be lost in the shadows or highlights. This mode can be controlled automatically or fine-tuned using five settings.
- Picture Effect modes allow you to apply creative settings and emphasize certain facets of individual images for a richer, more aesthetic picture quality. Posterization (Color/B&W), Pop Color, Retro Photo, Partial Color (R/G/B/Y), High Contrast Monochrome, Toy Camera, Soft High-Key, Soft Focus, HDR Painting, Rich-Tone Monochrome, Miniature, Watercolor, and Illustration modes are available.
- Creative Style settings provide control over how the camera processes images based on different predetermined styles: Standard, Vivid, Neutral, Clear, Deep, Light, Portrait, Landscape, Sunset, Night Scene, Autumn Leaves, Black & White, Sepia, and Style Box. Within these settings, contrast, saturation, and sharpness can also be adjusted depending on personal preference.
- To extend the effective reach of the optical zoom lens, Clear Image digital zoom can be used to intelligently magnify scenes up to 5.8x at full-resolution. This digital zoom technology uses an intelligent interpolation process to minimize the amount of image degradation in order to produce realistic, high-quality images.
- In-camera creation of 4K slide shows is possible for rich playback to ultra high definition televisions. An HDMI port is incorporated into the camera's design, too, to enable direct connection to HDTVs.
- TRILUMINOS Color support is supported to produce rich, natural colors when imagery is viewed on a TRILUMINOS Display.
- The included AC adapter and USB cable permits in-camera charging of the rechargeable Lithium-ion battery.