Using this Ikelite Underwater Housing with TTL Circuitry and Canon PowerShot G5 X Camera Kit from B&H, you can capture images of coral, pygmy seahorses, and other aquatic wonders at depths as great as 200'. Providing everything you need for a photo or video adventure beneath the surface, the kit bundles the durable waterproof enclosure with the advanced, 20MP point-and-shoot digital camera. The housing affords access to virtually all the G5 X's functions, and features a built-in, flat glass port for the camera's 24-100mm f/1.8-2.8 lens.
Ikelite Underwater Housing with TTL Circuitry for Canon PowerShot G5 X
Capture images and video at depths up to 200' beneath the surface using this Underwater Housing with TTL Circuitry for the Canon PowerShot G5 X from Ikelite. Large, ergonomic mechanical controls provide access to virtually all camera functions.
The enclosure's built-in, proprietary circuitry and Ikelite bulkhead connector allow for TTL exposure with optional, external Ikelite DS Substrobes. Non-Ikelite strobes are compatible in manual mode, as well. Alternatively, you can make use of the two fiber-optic ports built into the front of the housing, which enable the attachment of optional cables from most major manufacturers. The connectors are threaded to prevent accidental detachment during use. Optional SEA&SEA, INON, and Nikonos strobes can be used in manual exposure modes. A fiber-optic connection relies on the firing of the camera's built-in flash to trigger strobes, whereas a TTL bulkhead connection uses a sync cord and does not require the camera's flash to fire.
Built for durability, the housing is designed, made by hand, and tested in the USA. Manufactured from durable, clear polycarbonate, it resists corrosion and allows you to maintain a full view of the camera while monitoring the o-ring seal. The camera is secured inside by way of a compact mounting tray that attaches to the camera's tripod mount and slides into the front. Two 1/4"-20 attachment points underneath offer rotation-free mounting of an optional tray and handles.
The housing's integrated flat glass lens port has a 3.0" diameter and accepts the optional WD-3 wide-angle dome, as well as external wide-angle and macro add-on lenses for an increased field of view or clearer, more detailed close-ups. Additionally, optional color-correction filters with 3.0-3.6" diameters can be attached to restore colors that get absorbed underwater. Once back up above the surface, the camera's built-in Wi-Fi can be used through the housing to transfer your images.
- Features a depth rating of 200'
- Close the two locking lid snaps at each side to see the o-ring form a watertight seal
Controls and Handling
- Ergonomic mechanical controls, including push-buttons, knurled knobs/dials, and a lever, afford access to all camera controls except for diopter adjustment dial and mobile device connect button
- Mobile devices may be connected through housing via camera's menus
- Controls are large for easy operation while wearing diving gloves
- Easy-to-reach gear activates camera's versatile front control ring
- All rear controls are clearly marked with laser engraving that will never peel off or fade
- Two 1/4"-20 mounts at bottom of housing offer rotation-free mounting of an optional tray and handles
- Optional tray with 1 or 2 quick-release handles provides improved balance underwater, while also offering attachment points for optional lighting arms
- Designed, made by hand, and tested in USA
- Made from corrosion-resistant, clear polycarbonate, allowing you to monitor O-ring seal and maintain a full view of camera
- Built-in flat glass lens port has a 3.0" diameter
- Compatible with optional, external wide-angle and macro add-on lenses with 67mm threads for increased field of view or extreme close-up shots with better clarity and detail, respectively
- Both types of lenses enable you to get closer to subjects, cutting down on amount of water between subject and lens to reduce distortion
- Macro lenses by INON, Epoque, and other manufacturers can be attached directly to front of housing's port
- Optional WD-3 wide-angle dome provides mid-range angle of view with no vignetting
- Ikelite W30 and INON UWL-H100 wide-angle lenses are recommended, as they provide edge sharpness with minimal vignetting
- Vignetting and edge distortion effects can be reduced or eliminated by using a smaller aperture, zooming in slightly, and/or cropping in post
- Optional 3.0" color-correction filters (or 3.6" filters for wide-angle coverage) can also be used to restore colors that get absorbed by water
- Housing provides a direct electrical connection to camera's external hot shoe, which offers extended battery life and rapid fire shooting capabilities
- Built-in circuitry is fine-tuned to Canon's latest flash exposure protocol to enable the most accurate exposure possible
- Circuit powered by strobe, so there's no maintenance required and no batteries to change
- TTL exposure with integrated circuitry is only possible using Ikelite DS strobes and their required sync cords
- SEA&SEA, INON, and Nikonos strobes may be used with the required sync cords in manual exposure modes only, but will still benefit from improved battery life and faster recycle times
- Bulkhead connector has been moved to the top of the housing to keep cords out of your way and reduce strain on ends
- Two ports enable connection of fiber-optic cables from most major manufacturers
- Use of fiber optic connector requires firing of built-in flash, bypassing the housing's TTL functionality
- Threaded fit of cord attachment prevents accidental detachment during use
- Built-in flash is suitable for firing an external strobe, but not for lighting a photo underwater
Strobe and Cord Compatibility
- AF35: Not compatible
- DS50: Yes, above serial number 70000
- DS51: Yes
- DS125: Yes, above serial number 5000
- DS160, DS161: Yes
- DS200: Yes, above serial number 7163
- Sync Cords:
- Ikelite-to-Ikelite TTL Sync Cord (TTL) Product 4103.51
- Ikelite-to-Ikelite TTL Dual Sync Cord (TTL) Product 4103.52
- SEA&SEA / INON Strobe-to-Ikelite Non-TTL Sync Cord (Manual) Product 4118.1
- SEA&SEA / INON Strobe-to-Ikelite Non-TTL Dual Sync Cord (Manual) Product 4118.2
- Nikonos SB Strobe-to-Ikelite Non-TTL Sync Cord (Manual) Product 4116.31
- Nikonos SB Strobe-to-Ikelite Non-TTL Sync Cord (Manual) Product 4116.32
- Fiber-Optic Cables:
- Ikelite 4501 Fiber Optic Coiled Cord
- INON Optical D Cable "Non-wireless type" L-Connector
- Sea&Sea Fiber Optic Cable (L-type) Product No. 50107
- Olympus UW Fiber Optic Cable PTCB-E02
- Nauticam Optical Fiber Cable No. 26211 Nauticam to INON
- Nauticam Optical Fiber Cable No. 26212 Nauticam to SEA&SEA
- Camera's built-in Wi-Fi can be used through the housing to transfer photos after your dive
- Wi-Fi function cannot be used underwater
Canon PowerShot G5 X Digital Camera
An advanced compact camera characterized by a large image sensor and fast zoom lens, the PowerShot G5 X from Canon pairs a 20.2MP 1" High-Sensitivity CMOS sensor and DIGIC 6 image processor to form the Canon HS SYSTEM for enhanced low-light capabilities, fast performance and Full HD 1080p/60 video recording. Matching the imaging versatility is the 4.2x optical zoom lens, which provides a 24-100mm equivalent focal length range, and features a bright f/1.8-2.8 maximum aperture for depth of field control and working in difficult lighting conditions. Both a high-resolution 2.36m-dot electronic viewfinder and 3.0" 1.04m-dot multi-angle touchscreen LCD are available for monitoring and image review, and built-in Wi-Fi with NFC allows you to wirelessly share imagery with a smartphone, tablet, or Connect Station CS100. Revolving around the sophisticated sensor and processor combination, the G5 X sports both apt imaging capabilities as well as a wealth of functional assets for shooting control and sharing.
To benefit handling, the G5 X has been fitted with numerous physical controls, including a dedicated exposure compensation dial, front dial, control ring and control dial for quickly customizing various shooting settings. A hot shoe is incorporated into the design for working with an optional external flash, and the camera is also compatible with the optional RS-60E3 for wired remote shooting.
20.2MP 1" CMOS Sensor and DIGIC 6 Processor
4.2x Optical Zoom Lens
- Normal IS: Corrects for a wide variety of camera movement types when shooting stills.
- Panning IS: Intended for use when making tracking shots, this setting ensures that IS will not interfere with desired lateral camera movements.
- Macro (Hybrid) IS: Used for both stills and video recording, this setting corrects for shift-type camera shake that is common when photographing close-up subjects. It also compensates for motion blur associated with recording video while walking.
- Tripod: Image stabilization is deactivated when shooting stills atop a tripod.
- Dynamic IS: This setting is effective when recording video using wider focal lengths and simultaneously walking or moving.
- Powered IS: Ideally suited for shooting video with telephoto focal lengths, this mode compensates for the camera movements that become more apparent with greater zoom magnifications.
- Active Tripod IS: Unlike the stills tripod mode, this video-specific tripod mode compensates for slight amounts of shake that can be caused when recording movies from a tripod.
- A 2.36m-dot electronic viewfinder offers high-resolution, wide gamut eye-level monitoring for critical viewing in harsh lighting conditions. The viewfinder provides 100% frame coverage, incorporates a sensor for switching between the finder and rear monitor, has a smooth refresh rate of 120 fps, and has an eye point of 22mm for viewing flexibility.
- For live view monitoring and image playback, a 3.0" 1.04m-dot LCD screen is available and features a multi-angle design for working from high and low angles, and is also a touchscreen for intuitive settings control and menu navigation. The vari-angle design can rotate up to 270° and can also be turned around and closed against the camera body for protection while shooting.
- An exposure compensation dial, as well as a customizable front dial, control ring, and control dial, lend easily accessible, direct control over various shooting settings.
- A hot shoe allows you to pair optional external flashes as well as other shoe-mounted accessories with the camera.
- A remote socket permits use of the optional RS-60E3 Remote Switch for wired remote camera control.
Full HD Video Recording
Built-In Wi-Fi with NFC
Other Camera Features
- Dedicated Star Modes and functions can be used to capture photos and videos of the nighttime sky with enhanced brilliance and clarity. Star Nightscape, Star Trails, and Star Time-Lapse Movies can be recorded, with auto or manual settings, and support functions, such as Night Display, Color Adjustment, and star Emphasis, offer greater control over the final results.
- A built-in pop-up flash can be used to provide additional illumination to a scene when working in challenging lighting conditions.
- The included NB-13L rechargeable lithium-ion battery provides up to 210 shots per charge when working with the LCD screen, 215 shots per charge with the electronic viewfinder, or 320 shots per charge in the ECO Mode.
- An electronic level function helps to ensure plumb verticals and level horizons.
- Photo Effects: My Colors Off, Vivid, Neutral, Sepia, Black & White, Positive Film, Lighter Skin Tone, Darker Skin Tone, Vivid Blue, Vivid Green, Vivid Red, and Custom Color.
- Playback Functions: Story Highlights, Protect, Favorites, Erase, Print, Group Playback, Play Movie, List/Play Digest Movies, Image Search, Slideshow, Rotate, Album Playback, Play Creative Shot Movies, Short Clip Mix, i-Contrast, Resize, Cropping, Red-Eye Correction, My Colors, Face ID Info, Print Settings, Photobook Set-up, Transition Effect, Index Effect, Scroll Display, Group Images, Auto Rotate, Resume, Image Jump with Control Ring/Front Dial, and Set Touch Actions.