Ideal for beginners or experienced amateurs alike, Levenhuk's Ra EQ5 Equatorial GoTo Mount helps take the guesswork out of astronomy and gets you observing faster by combining an equatorial mount and stainless steel tripod with a computer-controlled GoTo system and precise dual-axis motors.
When properly polar aligned, motorized GoTo equatorial mounts such as this are ideal for long-exposure astrophotography since they track along the same axis as the rotation of the Earth and don't suffer from the field rotation common when GoTo alt-az mounts track for long periods. The mount is outfitted with a standard Vixen-style dovetail saddle to be compatible with a wide variety of optical tube assemblies (OTAs) and designed to carry up to 26.5 pounds, including the OTA and accessories such as eyepieces, diagonals, and imaging gear.
The mount includes the SynScan EQ hand controller unit, which controls the right ascension and declination precision stepper motors. This controller has a database of more than 13,400 objects with the ability to take you on a tour of the best objects to see on any given day based on the time and location you're viewing; you can also input custom coordinates for your favorite objects. With a maximum slew speed of 3.4°/second and three primary tracking speeds, the SynScan can quickly go to near and deep-sky objects and accurately keep them centered in your field of view for long-exposure imaging and astrophotography or prolonged observation sessions.
Its tripod is built with stainless steel legs to reduce vibration for clearer viewing. A center stabilizer bar pulls the accessory tray up to lock the legs in place, adding further rigidity and vibration reduction. It is adjustable from 28 to 48.5" to accommodate a wide range of users and features large thumbscrews for tool-free adjustment in the field. An adjustable tray is also included with the tripod to keep eyepieces, flashlights, and other accessories safe and at the ready.
- German equatorial mount
- Ideal for long-exposure astrophotography with precision low-vibration motors and zero field rotation
- Payload capacity 26.5-pounds excluding counterweights
- Dual-axis stepper motors with angular step of 1.8° and 32-step mode
- Clutch release levers for easy manual movement
- Vixen-style dovetail saddle
- Two counterweights for precision balancing
- Optional polar axis scope to improve alignment accuracy
- Runs on eight user-supplied AA batteries
SynScan GoTo Controller
- 13,436 celestial objects
- Database has the sun, moon, planets, and catalogs — including Messier, NGC, and IC
- Lunar, sidereal or solar tracking rates
- Tour of the most interesting objects in the sky based on the specific day, time, and location
- 1 arc min GoTo positioning accuracy
- Multiple slew speeds: 0.25x, 0.5x, 0.75x, 1x,3.4°/s (max)
- Periodic Error Correction allows user to program out the inherent error in motor precision for better GoTo and tracking
- Set up and alignment assistance: Brightest star or Two-star alignment
- Compatible with PC; software updates over the Internet
- Sturdy stainless steel legs
- Center bar locks legs in-place to improve stability and reduce vibration
- Adjustable height from 28-48.5 inches
- Center tray holds eyepieces and other accessories
- Battery pack and hand controller holder straps make it easy to move to avoid cable wrap during long observation sessions