Designed for seasoned musicians, project studio owners, and bands, Steinberg Cubase Artist 9.5 provides cutting-edge technology, pristine sound quality, and a wealth of possibilities for composing, recording, editing, mixing, mastering, and sharing music. This award-winning software accommodates up to 32 physical inputs and outputs and utilizes a 64-bit audio engine compatible with resolutions up to 192 kHz. The system includes 64 audio, 128 MIDI, and 32 instrument tracks with full automatic delay compensation and flexible routing. The integrated MixConsole offers a high-end channel strip complete with EQ and dynamics, automation with precise adjustment curves, and a mixing workflow that can be quickly tailored to suit your artistic vision.
Cubase Artist 9.5 features a set of eight virtual instruments that include HALion Sonic SE 3, Groove Agent SE 4, Padshop, Retrologue 2, and LoopMash 2, plus a complete suite of over 70 high-end audio and MIDI VST effect processors. Sampler Track allows you to turn any imported or recorded audio file into a playable instrument with full filter, pitch, and envelope controls for sound design flexibility. You can also drag any MIDI part into the Sampler Control window and start experimenting with the instantly rendered audio file. Intelligent tools like Chord Track and Chord Pads provide a playful and creative way to compose a song by jamming with chords and patterns in real time.
Giving you the freedom to collaborate and produce with musicians or band members even when you're not in the same studio, town, or country, VST Transit reaches into the cloud to provide a DAW-centric approach to web-based musical collaboration. Upload audio and MIDI tracks to cloud storage, continue working from another location, and synchronize the changes back to the cloud.
What's New in Version 9.5
Top 10 Key Features
- Award-winning 64-bit / 192 kHz Steinberg audio engine, 64-bit mixing engine, flexible routing, and full automatic delay compensation.
- Simultaneous playback of 64 audio tracks, 128 MIDI tracks, and up to 32 physical inputs and outputs.
- MixConsole with integrated high-end channel strip for pro mixing desk experience.
- Complete suite of 70 high-end audio and MIDI VST effect processors, including Pitch Correct for vocal editing, Quadrafuzz v2, VST Amp Rack and VST Bass Amp guitar and bass tone suites, and many more.
- Intelligent compositional tools like Chord Track, Chord Pads.
- Comprehensive set of 8 virtual instruments with over 2600 sounds, including HALion Sonic SE 3, Groove Agent SE 4, Padshop, Retrologue 2, and LoopMash 2.
- Thousands of MIDI construction kits, audio loops, and samples that can be used as building blocks to create sketches, play-alongs, or even full songs with just a few clicks.
- Lightning-fast multi-take comping with dedicated Lane Track and click-and-drag Comp Tool.
- TrackVersions for playlists-like editing and render-in-place, for easily bouncing MIDI and audio parts.
- Streamlined music notation and score editing feature set.
- Key Editor: At the heart of MIDI sequencing in Cubase is the Key Editor, the place where melodies, chords, arrangements, and performances take shape, and where ideas are sketched out and developed.
- Drum Editor: The place for constructing and reworking beats, rhythms, and grooves. It offers a plethora of features to let you come up with the perfect rhythm for your song or production.
- Score Editor: A professional notation environment with full support for just about all symbol, display, and editing options. The editor offers support for lyrics and remarks as well as drum notes, guitar tablature, and lead sheets.
- List Editor: An advanced MIDI editing tool that gives fast access to every single aspect of a MIDI note, a timesaver in complex projects.
VST Expression 2
- Full instrument expression control on single-note level.
- Use any piece of audio to create a Sampler Track, play the sample chromatically, manipulate it with its on-board filters and controls.
- Comes with Caleidoscope, a dedicated sample library with hundreds of samples and presets to get you started right away.
Intelligent Compositional Tools
- Chord Track: Cubase features a global Chord Track to facilitate working with chords in a project context, and enables transform and harmonize functions throughout the application.
- Chord Pads: Jam with chords and patterns in real time. The chord pads are playable via a MIDI keyboard, and real-time parameters allow you to easily improvise chord performances by changing voicings, tensions, and more on the fly.
- Retrospective Record: No take ever gets lost because record mode wasn’t engaged in time.
- FX Handling: Any VST plug-in can be recorded with the signal, or simply used for monitoring.
- Intuitive user interface: Interface with easy-to-use folders, customizable track views, and custom color schemes for differentiating tracks at a glance.
- I/O Handling: The VST Connections window allows you to create custom I/O setups, customize port names, and switch between different I/O setups on the fly.
- Re-Record Mode: Simply hit the record button again, and the recording will start from the original position, preserving the original pre-count and metronome settings.
- Sample Editor: Full editing toolset offers a wide range of functions that cover common editing tasks right down to the sample level.
Pitch Correction and Audio Manipulation
- Fully integrated vocal editing and pitch alteration of individual notes in monophonic vocal recordings.
- Includes auto-tuning effect.
- Full integration with the Chord Track ensures correct pitch for your harmonies.
- Harmonize your lead vocals with composed choral arrangements.
Drum Recording and Drum Loops
- Transient and tempo detection: Detect single hits, rolls, and ghost notes fast and accurately.
- Hitpoints are automatically calculated in the background as soon as audio material is recorded or imported into the arrangement window.
- Tempo detection algorithm accurately determines the tempo of any rhythmic audio material.
- Tempo map can be used to keep the dynamic feeling of natural tempo variations or to remove unwanted tempo changes quickly.
- Use Hitpoint-to-MIDI function to replace, double, or enrich live-recorded drum sounds.
- Lane Track: When recording several takes, software creates a Lane Track for each take. By swiping across the best parts Cubase automatically creates a master take that contains all selected parts.
- Comp Tool: Offers handy click-and-drag features for fast workflow.
- 64-bit floating-point mixing engine with 32 physical inputs and outputs, 32 group channels, and 16 inserts per channel
- Entirely scalable and dedicated full-screen mode.
- View Sets and Channel Zones.
- Control Link groups and Quick Link system for channel parameters.
- Customizable track icons and track notepad.
- Drag-and-drop support throughout the mixer.
- Direct routing with one click.
- Dynamic inserts and sends provide streamlined overview.
- A/B comparison and global bypass of all audio effects.
- Plug-in and channel search function.
- Optimized for mouse-free operation with virtually all channel elements accessible via blind reader software and computer keyboard.
- MixConsole History tracks all changes made in the MixConsole and easily lets you choose stages of your mixing process by selecting them from a list.
- Channel strip integrated into each single channel.
- High- and low-pass filters, 4-band StudioEQ with spectrum analyzer, noise gate, de-esser, and three compressors.
- Enveloper Shaper fully controls attack and release.
- Includes over 300 presets by US producer Allen Morgan.
- Track Visibility Management: Expedites working with large projects by dynamically displaying only the tracks you actually want to see.
- Import Tracks from Projects: Import tracks from other projects with all their settings and content, to create new tracks or replace existing tracks with the same name.
- TrackVersions: Automatically create, rename, and manage parallel variations of tracks, allowing you to change back to the original track layout with one single click.
- Remote Control Editor: Visually customize the parameter layout of individual effects and instruments on your control surface.
- Quick Controls: Gives you a set of eight user-definable real-time controllers that can be assigned to any parameter on the current track.
- Dedicated automation panel for quick access to all automation functions.
- Set up a complete automation within minutes.
- Smart scaling tools offer an intuitive user experience when working with automation data, including simultaneous editing of multiple events and streamlined graphics.
- Supports almost all standard formats, including AIFF, Sound Designer II, Wave, Wave 64, Broadcast Wave, MP3, MP3 surround, and Windows Media Audio Pro.
- Channel Batch Export: Allows for the export of multiple mixer channels to audio files, ideal for freeing up system resources with all files and VSTi tracks exported to audio tracks.
- Cloud distribution service that allows you to upload audio and MIDI tracks to the cloud, continue working from another location, and synchronize the changes back to the cloud.
- Collaborate on shared projects with friends and band members.
- VST Transit comes with up to 750MB free storage space and 1.5GB free traffic per month.
- VST Transit Premium Accounts and Traffic upgrades (available separately) for users with more demanding needs for traffic and storage.
- Retrologue 2 brings back the sound of analog circuitry and vintage warmth, but with a modern twist. Offers raw analog lead and bass sounds, ephemeral, delicate pads and structures, dark drones, and ultra-aggressive comps.
- Padshop: Granular synth for spacious atmospheres and evolving textures.
- HALion Sonic SE 3: Sample player and synthesizer. Features an arpeggiator module with four variations and over 150 dynamic sounds. Effects include tape saturator, wah-wha, auto filter, step flanger, ring modulator, octaver, vintage ensemble, envelope shaper, and rotary.
- Groove Agent SE 4: MPC-style drum sampler includes a wide range of effects, pattern playback functions and comfortable sample editing. Emulates the character of the 12-bit era. Comes with a variety of drum kits and ready-to-go grooves, from crackling vinyl beats to realistic acoustic drum sounds.
- LoopMash 2: Audio analysis/synthesis engine matches similar elements across loops and beats, generating fresh and inspiring mash-ups from any rhythmic audio material. LoopMash provides controllable live and slice-based effects such as scratches, stutters and tape stops, which are entirely synced to the Cubase Tempo.
- Prologue: Polyphonic subtractive synthesizer with great sounding multimode variable resonance filters, powerful modulation capabilities and cranking onboard effects.
- Spector: Based on two colorful and versatile spectrum filters, it utilizes up to six oscillators per voice with two different waveforms each.
- Mystic: Uses a combination of physical modeling and comb filtering to generate unique and colorful sounds, and is based on three parallel comb filters with feedback.
- Standard Channel EQ
- Brickwall Limiter
- Vintage Compressor
- Tube Compressor
- Tape/Tube Saturation
- Envelope Shaper
- MIDI Gate
Reverb and Delay
- Roomworks SE
- VST Amp Rack
- VST Bass Amp Rack
- Quadrafuzz 2
Filter, Pitch, and Spatial
- Dual Filter
- Step Filter
- Morph Filter
- Wah Wah
- Pitch Correct
- Stereo Enhancer
- Mono To Stereo
- Auto Pan
- Ring Modulator
- LoopMash FX
Mastering and Tools