Outfitted with a magnification and objective lens combination favored by hunters, hikers, outdoor enthusiasts, and sports fans around the world, the Athlon Optics 8x42 Neos Binocular is an ideal companion the next time you head out to the trail, range, blind, or stadium, or on a sightseeing adventure.
Optically, the Neos benefits from anti-reflection fully multi-coated optics, with highly reflective silver-coated BAK4 roof prisms that limit internal light loss and diffraction. Utilizing a lower 8x produces a binocular better suited to general-purpose glassing, while the larger 42mm objectives boost the light-gathering ability while helping to produce a wide exit pupil and long eye relief. These, when combined with the optical features, work together to produce bright and clear high-contrast views with accurate color fidelity from dawn to dusk. To further improve the observational experience, the Neos is designed with an apparent angle of view that approaches wide angle to present users with near-panoramic views and an immersive visual experience.
Complementing the optical performance are construction details that allow the Neos to withstand the elements. The optical tubes are nitrogen-filled and O-ring sealed to be waterproof and resistant to internal fogging if the weather turns or they take an accidental spill in a stream or puddle. Protecting the optical components is a composite chassis that is lightweight and durable as well as resistant to the expansion and contraction that metal suffers from and which can lead to fuzzy views over time. A slip-resistant armoring provides a sure grip, and palm-pad accents further improve grip strength. Athlon includes objective lens caps and a one-piece ocular rainguard to protect the exterior lens surfaces. To keep the caps and rainguard safe during use, they are tethered to the body and strap, respectively.
- Moderate 8x magnification brings subjects in for close observation without sacrificing field of view and exit pupil
- 42mm objective lenses draw in more light than compact models to boost light-gathering ability without the excessive weight and bulk of larger full-sized models
- Compact roof prism light path ensures the optical tubes remain slim for easier handling without affecting performance
- BAK4 prism glass with highly reflective silver coatings produce a comfortable round exit pupil while maximizing light transmission and limiting internal refraction
- Anti-reflection fully multi-coated optics further maximize light transmission and improve color fidelity and contrast
- Apparent angle of view approaches wide angle, presenting users with a spacious and immersive observational experience
- 367-foot field of view at 1000 yards
Use and Handling
- Closed bridge configuration provides a solid platform for the internal focusing system
- Large slip-resistant center focusing wheel is easy to manipulate in cold and wet weather, even while wearing gloves
- Right-eye dioptric correction allows user to compensate for optical prescription to produce sharper views
- 56-72mm interpupillary distance adjustment range
- Twist-up click-stop eyecups for easy use with or without eyewear
- Tripod mountable with an optional adapter for hands-free use to eliminate vibrations and arm fatigue
- Long 17mm eye relief allows for more comfortable viewing with reduced eye strain, especially during long-duration glassing sessions
- Wide 5.25mm exit pupil will cover pupils as they open and fully dilate in low light to keep the full scene in view without vignetting
- Durable composite chassis material
- Composite material is resistant to the expansion and contraction that metal suffers from and which can lead to the optical components moving out of alignment over time, preventing sharp focus
- Protective rubber armor with palm pads provides a slip-resistant grip
- Nitrogen-filled and O-ring sealed to be waterproof and resistant to internal fogging when moving through extreme changes in temperature and environmental conditions
- Tethered objective lens caps and one-piece ocular rainguard protect the lens surface without the fear of losing them when not in use