The Singh-Ray 77mm Thin I-Ray 690 Infrared Filter with Front Filter Threads is designed to help capture images of how a subject reflects or transmits infrared (IR) light.
IR light waves occupy the space in the electromagnetic spectrum behind visible light due to their longer wavelengths. Many surfaces and materials react to, or emit, IR light waves differently than visible light waves, which provides the potential for photographs of subjects or subject properties that are otherwise invisible to the human eye. Such images require an IR-sensitive medium such as IR film or a digital photographic sensor, which may be more effective when used without the IR-blocking filters that are frequently built over them.
Conventional light sources such as the sun, photographic strobes, or incandescent lighting may be used to provide IR illumination. However, because IR films or digital photographic sensors can be more sensitive to the relatively higher energy and shorter-wavelength visible light those sources also emit, the effects of IR light can be otherwise obscured. This Singh-Ray 77mm Thin I-Ray 690 Infrared Filter makes it possible to capture images of how subjects are illuminated by IR light by blocking ultraviolet and visible light waves 690nm or less into the lens it is mounted onto.
This filter is constructed from optical glass and for clarity features a thin, 4.2mm aluminum-alloy filter ring for durability, which also minimizes the potential for vignetting while remaining lightweight. The filter ring also includes 77mm front threads that allow for use with other filters that have 77mm rear threads.
- Designed for use with infrared film or digital camera sensors by filtering out near-infrared, visible, and ultraviolet light
- Allows visible and infrared light waves at 690nm or above to pass through
- Effective for infrared films or other media sensitive to visible and infrared wavelengths 690nm or above
- Non-coated; constructed from optical glass for clarity
- Filter factor of approximately 64x reduces exposure by about 6 stops
- Lightweight, durable, and thin aluminum-alloy filter ring
- 77mm front filter threads allow for use with other filters
- Leatherette pouch with microfiber interior for storage and transport