Combining their intermediate OTA with their Porta II tall mount, the Vixen Optics A80Mf 80mm f/11 Achro Refractor Telescope gives users a complete observational kit out of the box. Packed with accessories, you get the optical tube assembly (OTA), mount, two eyepieces, an erect-image diagonal, finderscope, and sturdy adjustable-height tripod.
Vixen Optics A80Mf 80mm f/11 Achro Refractor Telescope (OTA Only)
The Vixen Optics A80Mf 80mm f/11 Achro Refractor Telescope is designed with an achromatic lens system that produces bright and clear high-contrast images with true color representation across its entire distortion-free field of view. Its 80mm objective gathers more light than smaller-objective models while still being easy to handle and transport, especially when you have to carry it a distance to your observation site. This lens system, coupled with the fully coated optics, will give you great views of the Moon, planets, planetary moons, and brighter deep sky objects. You will be able to split binary stars and observe bright objects with virtually no comas.
The scope comes with two eyepieces that offer low and moderate magnifications, and a 90° erect-image prism that makes it ideal for both astronomical and terrestrial use. Vixen offers the A80Mf here without a mount or tripod for users with a reliable support system, and the included mounting ring set includes a Vixen-style dovetail plate that makes it compatible with a wide variety of alt-azimuth, equatorial, and GoTo mounting systems.
Optical Tube Assembly
- 80mm objective
- f/11 focal ratio
- 910mm focal length
- Refractor-style optical path
- Achromatic lens configuration corrects spherical and chromatic aberrations to produce distortion-free high-contrast images with true color representation
- Fully coated optics produce bright and clear images with true color rendition
- Resolution: 1.45 arcsec
- Rack-and-pinion focuser with 1.25" focusing tube
- Standard 42mm T-thread for prime-focus astrophotography; optional camera-specific T-ring required
- Dew/sun shield reduces interference from peripheral terrestrial light and limits condensation on objective
- OTA only; mount and tripod required for proper use
- Mounting ring assembly enables the optical tube orientation to be adjusted for precise eyepiece placement and to avoid interference with other gear
- Weight: 5.5 pounds
- 1.25"-diameter barrel
- Compatible with most astronomical filters
- 20mm, produces 45.5x magnification
- 6.3mm, produces 144x magnification
- Integrated erect-image prism for terrestrial observations
- 90° angle puts head in a comfortable viewing position when optical tube assembly is aimed straight up or when using as a conventional spotting scope
- 30mm objective
- 6x magnification ensures a wide field of view for faster alignment and easier star-hopping navigation
- 7° angle of view
Vixen Optics Porta II Tall Alt-Azimuth Mount
Vixen Optics redesigned their tripod for this version of the Porta II Tall Alt-Azimuth Mount to give it a higher 67" maximum height for use with refractor-style optical tube assemblies (OTAs) or for taller people who don't want to hunch, while maintaining the sturdy and stable alt-azimuth head that is easy to set up, use, and transport. With its standard Vixen dovetail plate and 20 lb payload capacity, you can attach Vixen and many non-Vixen OTAs or bring multiple OTAs for a viewing session and simply and quickly swap them to suit the subject. This most basic of mounts is ideally suited for quick astronomical or terrestrial viewing. Two control knobs, one for each axis, allow users to make small and precise adjustments for tracking subjects. Its two 120-tooth worm gears let the altitude and azimuth travel a full 360° circle.
The Porta II operates without locks and clutches, but rather with a friction system. This means you can simply move the mount by hand to quickly find your subject, then use the slow-motion knobs to track. Since many different OTAs can be mounted, there are adjustment screws on each axis to add more or less tension, based on the weight of the OTA. Also, depending on the design of the OTA, you can change the orientation of the flexible handle position to be correctly oriented for comfortable use.
An aluminum two-section tripod comes with the mount. It has a height-adjustment range from 40 to 51 inches. A solid center bolt lets the mount also turn a full circle and makes the mount easily detachable from the tripod to mount on heavier tripods.