Styled in a black finish, the Yamaha BB Series BB435 is a five-string electric bass with a sleek, double-cutaway alder body and a five-piece, maple/mahogany bolt-on neck. This neck sports a 34" scale, a 600mm radius, 21 frets, and a fingerboard fashioned out of rosewood.
Strings are secured to the body with a vintage style, offset fixed bridge that features a diagonal string-thru design, one that alleviates unnecessary string stress while bolstering resonance and sustain. This string-thru design is optional, meaning you can also attach strings to the tail end of the bridge. At the headstock, you'll find open gear tuners designed to complement this BB bass, which are comparably lightweight when compared to earlier iterations in the BB series.
For electronics, this bass offers two YGD Custom V5 pickups. A split single coil P-style pickup can be found in the neck, while a single coil J-style pickup sits in the bridge. These pickups have been designed with alnico magnets to provide a slightly brighter sound when compared to previous BB basses.
A volume knob for each pickup is on hand, and the usage of which can help you blend the timbre of the neck and the bridge pickups. An overall tone control can help you make your overall sound brighter or darker in accordance with your own personal taste.
Key Features at a Glance
- YGD Custom V5 Pickups: Alnico magnets have been employed to deliver the classic BB vintage tone, but updated to provide a brighter sound that cuts through the mix in live performance situations.
- Controls: You'll find one tone control and two volume control knobs, for versatile sound shaping.
- Vintage Plus Light Bridge: The 400 models are equipped with a Vintage Plus Light bridge that incorporates a diagonal-body string-thru design in which the strings are angled at the saddle and pass through the instrument to the bridge at a 45° angle, as opposed to the traditional vertical stringing method which places more stress on the strings. This style significantly reduces stress while transferring string vibration to the body reliably and efficiently. The strings can also be attached to the tail end of the bridge.
- 5-Piece Neck: The instrument is made with a five-ply maple and mahogany laminated neck in a bolt-on design that delivers a sharp attack and a quick response. This durable construction resists warping and twisting and adds the tight, penetrating character of maple combined to the overall warmth of mahogany.
- Thinner Neck Shape: The instrument features a slightly thinner neck than previous BB basses, improving playability and feel for both modern and traditional players.
Lightweight Tuners: Lightweight tuners offer a feeling of balance and complement the overall feel of the bass, which is smaller and lighter in body than previous BB basses.