Sleek and stylish, the PEN E-PL9 from Olympus is a Micro Four Thirds mirrorless camera defined by its versatile imaging capabilities and variety of in-camera creative controls. Using a 16.1MP Live MOS sensor and TruePic VIII image processor, a quick continuous shooting rate of 8.6 fps benefits working with moving subjects while a top sensitivity of ISO 25600 suits working in low-light conditions. Beyond stills shooting, UHD 4K30p video recording is also supported along with high-speed HD 720p120 recording for slow-motion playback. Benefitting both photo and movie applications, a 121-area FAST autofocus system is both quick and accurate, and works in conjunction with the rear touchscreen for touch-to-focus control. Additionally, 3-axis sensor-shift image stabilization is also featured to reduce the appearance of camera shake by 3.5 stops for sharper handheld shooting.
Beyond the imaging capabilities, the E-PL9 also distinguishes itself through its stylish exterior, which integrates a compact right hand grip, clean lines, a comfortable white leatherette wrap, and a foil stamped Olympus logo on the front. Matching intent of the opulent exterior, the camera is also configured for the selfie enthusiasts out there, with the inclusion of a 3.0" 1.04m-dot 180° tilting touchscreen LCD. For easier control when making front-facing portraits, Touch Shutter lets you simply tap to focus and shoot and a variety of in-camera Art Filters can also be applied to creatively enhance the look of your images. Additionally, the camera is also fitted with built-in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth for wireless image sharing and remote camera control from a linked smartphone or tablet.
When working with manual focus, focus peaking is available to simplify attaining precise sharpness, which is especially useful when using selective focus or shallow depth of field techniques.
- A large 3.0" 1.04m-dot touchscreen LCD is available for intuitive control over image composition, settings, and playback, and the screen also has an 80° upward, 180° downward tilting design for making front-facing selfies, or just working from a variety of angles.
- The touchscreen enables the Touch Shutter function for simply tapping on the screen to both focus and release the shutter.
- The exterior of the camera body is wrapped in a white leatherette for a traditional feel and the Olympus PEN logo has been foil stamped on the front of the camera body.
- Built-in pop-up flash provides additional illumination when working in low-light conditions. A hot shoe can also accommodate an optional external flash.
- The included BLS-50 rechargeable lithium-ion battery provides approximately 350 shots per charge.
- Built-in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth permit seamlessly connecting a smartphone or tablet to the camera, which then enables you to wirelessly share imagery and remotely control the camera.
- An anti-shock shooting mode lets you use an electronic first curtain shutter, in conjunction with a 60-1/320 sec shutter speed range, to reduce vibrations when shooting atop a tripod or other support.
- Digital ESP metering uses a 324-area multi pattern metering area, along with center-weighted average and spot metering modes, for accurate exposure metering control.
- Advanced Photo Modes: Live Composite, Live Time, Multiple Exposure, HDR Backlight, Silent, Panorama, Keystone Compensation, AE Bracketing, and Focus Bracketing
- Scene Select AE modes: Portrait, e-Portrait, Landscape + Portrait, Night + Portrait, Children, Night scene, Hand-Held Starlight, Fireworks, Light trails, Sport, Panning, Landscape, Sunset, Beach & Snow, Backlight HDR, Panorama, Candlelight, Silent, Macro, Nature Macro, Documents, and Multi Focus Shot.
- Picture Modes: i-Enhance, Vivid, Natural, Muted, Portrait, Monotone, Custom, e Portrait, Underwater, and Art Filters.
- Photo Story mode lets you shoot a scene from different viewpoints, then compile these individual images into a single frame.
- Live Composite Mode lets you record a long exposure, between 1/2 to 60 seconds, and watch the exposure build in real-time for more accurate long exposures.
- Interval shooting is supported for up to 999 sequential frames with 1 second to 24 hour intervals. Finished shoots can then be automatically compiled into a time-lapse movie.
- Multiple Exposure mode lets you record two sequential frames over one another with auto gain for a balanced overall exposure.
- Movie Effects: One Shot Echo, Multi Echo, Art Fade, and Old Film.
- Live Guide is a simple graphical menu for adjusting color saturation, color value, brightness, background blur, and how motion is portrayed, and can also display helpful shooting tips.
- Art Filters: Pop Art, Soft Focus, Pale & Light Color, Light Tone, Grainy Film, Pin Hole, Diorama, Cross Process, Gentle Sepia, Dramatic Tone, Key Line, Watercolor, Vintage, Partial Color, Bleach Bypass, and Instant Film.