Configured for the aspiring landscape photographer, the Sony Alpha a7R III Mirrorless Digital Camera with 16-35mm f/2.8 Lens Landscape Kit from B&H bundles the high-resolution full-frame camera with the FE 16-35mm f/2.8 GM lens. Additionally, this kit also includes a tripod and ball head, a backpack, a remote shutter release, a shoe mount bubble level, an 82mm circular polarizer filter, and an 82mm ND 0.9 filter.
Sony Alpha a7R III Mirrorless Digital Camera (Body Only)
Proving that speed, resolution, and video capabilities can all coexist, the Alpha a7R III Mirrorless Digital Camera from Sony is a versatile, high-performance camera characterized by not only its resolution, but by its multimedia versatility. Revolving around a full-frame 42.4MP Exmor R BSI CMOS sensor and updated BIONZ X image processor, the a7R III affords an impressive 10 fps continuous shooting rate along with improved autofocus performance for faster, more reliable subject tracking along with wide frame coverage. This updated Fast Hybrid AF System employs a combination of 399 phase-detection points and 425 contrast-detection areas for quicker acquirement of focus in a variety of lighting conditions, and also maintains focus on subjects more effectively. In addition to speed and AF, the processing improvements also help to realize greater image clarity throughout the sensitivity range from ISO 100-32000, which can further be expanded to ISO 50-102400. Video recording capabilities have also been extended for enhanced quality when recording UHD 4K video with the full width of the full-frame sensor, or when using a Super35 area and 5K oversampling to minimize moiré and aliasing. Additionally, benefitting both stills and video operation, the a7R III retains the 5-axis SteadyShot INSIDE sensor-shift image stabilization, which is now effective to minimize the appearance of camera shake by up to 5.5 stops.
In addition to imaging updates, the a7R III also sports a revised body design, which includes a 3.69m-dot Tru-Finder OLED electronic viewfinder for bright, clear, and realistic eye-level monitoring. A rear 3.0" 1.44m-dot tilting touchscreen LCD is also available for intuitive settings control and to better support working from high and low angles. For greater shooting flexibility, dual SD memory card slots are now featured, and a larger NP-FZ100 battery is also employed to achieve up to approximately 530 shots per charge when using the viewfinder. Suiting the camera's use in trying conditions, the magnesium alloy chassis and extensive weather-sealing also render the a7R III dust- and moisture-resistance
42.4 MP Exmor R BSI CMOS Sensor and BIONZ X Image Processor
The sensor and processor combination also avails fast continuous shooting at up to 10 fps at full resolution, for up to 76 consecutive frames, and with full-time AF/AE when working with either a mechanical shutter or an electronic shutter. If shooting in live view mode, a continuous shooting rate of up to 8 fps is also possible.
Fast Hybrid AF System
The apt focus system also lends itself to a variety of focusing functions for refined accuracy, including Lock-on AF, which maintains focus on moving subjects throughout the use of a configurable frame that is set over the desired moving subject, and Expand Flexible Spot, which employs neighboring focus points to retain focus on moving subjects even if the originally selected point loses focus. Additionally, Eye AF can be used to base focus on recognized subjects' eyes for portraits and is available in both AF-S and AF-C modes. Autofocus can also be used in conjunction with the Focus Magnifier function for critical focus when homing in on minute subject details. The rear touchscreen can also be used for Touch Focus control, and a Touchpad Focus Control mode lets you use the rear screen intuitively while keeping your eye to the viewfinder.
For more personalized control over focus, and benefitting working in either vertical or horizontal shooting orientation, the AF area can be switched in orientation to better suit your subject matter. AF tracking sensitivity can also be customized in five steps to match how a subject is moving and frequently used focus point settings can be memorized and recalled with a custom button for faster switching between focus settings.
5-Axis SteadyShot INSIDE Image Stabilization
For long focal lengths, the system will correct for pitch and yaw adjustments. Macro and high-magnification imagery, on the other hand, will benefit from the inclusion of horizontal and vertical shift compensation. All shooting styles will get usage out of the roll compensation. All 5 axes of stabilization will function at all times, even when used with third-party lenses and adapters or lenses with built-in optical stabilization.
UHD 4K Video Recording in XAVC S Format
4K video recording also avails the ability to produce 8MP stills during playback by taking a frame grab from a movie and storing it as a separate file.
Additional Video Features
- Affording extensive customizable color and gamma controls, the a7R III allows users to adjust the gamma, black level, knee, color level, and more. Also, users can use the same S-Log2 Gamma Curve that is found on high end Sony Cinema cameras that squeezes up to 1300% more dynamic range into the video signal then traditional REC709, for increased post-production flexibility. HLG (Hybrid Log-Gamma) support is also available, along with the BT.2020 color space, for recording within a wide color gamut and, in addition to S-Log2, S-Log3 is also available for producing an effective 14-stop dynamic range with increased grading control in the shadow to mid-tone regions of the image.
Slow & Quick Motion:
- Take more control over your video capture capabilities with a variety of new frame rates available in an S&Q mode. This will allow shooters to capture Full HD video at one of either steps between 1-120 fps. These settings will allow you to slow down action as well as speed up a slow-moving scene. This setting is also NTSC/PAL switchable.
Enhanced Zebra Function:
- An enhanced Zebra function is ideally suited to aid in monitoring exposure values in high-contrast scenes. Video signal level targets can be set from 0 to 109, and specific ranges can be set to make exposure level adjustments easier.
Time Code and User Bit Settings:
- A time code can be used to record hours, minutes, seconds, frames on image data for more precise editing while the User Bit function can record date, time, and scene number to aid in editing together footage from multiple cameras.
- UHD 4K movies and lower-resolution proxy movies can be simultaneously recorded. The smaller proxy files are ideal for quick previewing or pre-editing that can reduce the time required for final 4K editing.
Body Design and Built-In Wi-Fi/Bluetooth
- An updated Quad-VGA OLED Tru-Finder EVF is featured, and has a 3.69m-dot resolution for bright, clear viewing in high detail. Both Standard and High quality settings can be used, depending on the shooting situation, in order to optimize the viewing experience. This updated viewfinder design also affords the use of autofocus in the Focus Magnifier mode as well as improved focusing peaking to benefit manual focus operation.
- In addition to the EVF, a 3.0" 1.44m-dot rear LCD is also available, which has a touch panel design for intuitive operation and focusing control. The screen also tilts upward 107° and downward 41° to benefit working from high and low angles.
- Magnesium alloy chassis assures rigidity, durability, and stability while remaining lightweight. The lens mount has also been improved to better support heavy lenses and the grip rigidity has been improved for more comfortable hand-holding.
- A durable shutter unit incorporates a coreless motor and brake system that reduces vibrations to better control shutter shock as well as extend its rated lifespan to approximately 500,000 actuations.
- Weather-sealing has been employed to resist dust and moisture for reliable operation in harsh weather conditions.
- Using the same NP-FZ100 battery as the a9, the a7R III has improved battery life and is now rated for approximately 530 shots per charge with the EVF or 650 shots with the rear LCD.
- Dual SD memory card slots allow for flexible file saving and handling, and can be configured to partition raw and JPEG files or can be used for overflow recording. One of the card slots is rated to support UHS-II memory cards.
- Integrated PC sync terminal for wired flash sync with strobe packs or wireless radio remotes.
- A USB 3.1 Gen 1 Type-C port has been added, in addition to a micro-USB port, for faster, more reliable tethering support. The USB Type-C connection allows the camera to be charged from the host power source while connected.
- The a7R III features a 3.5mm microphone input jack for compatibility with external microphones. And for users needing more, the camera is also compatible with the Sony XLR-K2M XLR Adapter for recording professional balanced XLR audio signals with phantom power and adjustable mic/line inputs. For monitoring audio, a 3.5mm headphone jack is available as well as real time audio levels for a visual reference.
- Built-in Wi-Fi enables the a7R III to instantly share imagery to mobile devices for direct sharing online to social networking, via email, and to cloud storage sites. NFC (Near Field Communication) is also supported, which allows for one-touch connection between the camera and compatible mobile devices; no complex set-up is required. Once connected, the linked mobile device can also display a live view image on its screen and remotely control the camera's shutter.
- Bluetooth connectivity allows for location data acquisition.
Pixel Shift Multi Shooting
Other Camera Features
- A Ratings function lets you assign star values, from 1-5, to images in-camera for faster editing and sorting at home during post-production.
- An advanced 1200-zone evaluative exposure metering sensor delivers consistent and accurate results using multi-segment, center-weighted, or spot metering modes.
- Highlight and Average metering modes helps avoid blown-out highlights and provide stable auto-exposure, respectively.
- Anti-flicker shooting automatically recognizes and times the shutter action to minimize the flicker effect for more consistent results on still images.
- Picture Effect modes: Posterization (Color), Posterization (B/W), Pop Color, Retro Photo, Partial Color (R/G/B/Y), High Contrast Monochrome, Toy Camera (Normal/Cool/Warm/Green/Magenta), and Soft High-Key.
- Creative Style modes: Standard, Vivid, Neutral, Clear, Deep, Light, Portrait, Landscape, Sunset, Night Scene, Autumn leaves, Black & White, Sepia, Style Box (1-6), (Contrast (-3 to +3 steps), Saturation (-3 to +3 steps), Sharpness (-3 to +3 steps).
Sony FE 16-35mm f/2.8 GM Lens
A fast and flexible wide-angle zoom, the FE 16-35mm f/2.8 GM Lens from Sony is a wide-angle zoom designed for full-frame E-mount mirrorless cameras. Distinguished by its constant f/2.8 maximum aperture, this lens offers consistent performance throughout the zoom range and benefits working in low-light conditions. The optical design incorporates two extra-low dispersion elements to reduce chromatic aberrations along with two XA elements and three aspherical elements, which significantly controls spherical aberrations for a high degree of image sharpness and clarity. Additionally, a Nano AR coating has been applied to limit ghosting and lens flare for increased contrast and color fidelity when working in strong lighting conditions.
Complementing the optical assets, this lens is also notable for its inclusion of an 11-blade circular diaphragm to produce smooth, soft-edged bokeh with selective focus imagery. For controlling focus, two Direct Drive SSM AF groups are employed that are quick and quiet, and also lend more responsive control for manual focus operation. The lens also sports a dust- and moisture-sealed design to support shooting in inclement conditions and a dedicated focus hold button and AF/MF switch.
Manfrotto MT055CXPRO4 Carbon Fiber Tripod
The Manfrotto MT055CXPRO4 Carbon Fiber Tripod is a 4-section support that replaces the 055CXPRO4 tripod. It has a load capacity of 19.8 lb and extends from 3.5" to 66.9". Its carbon fiber legs are secured by the Quick Power Locks. These updated flip locks increase the tripod's rigidity by 50% compared to its predecessor.
A redesigned center column has a "one finger" operation, and includes an Easy Link 3/8"-16 attachment for attaching accessories such as an LED light or a reflector via a compatible arm. The center column can be positioned horizontally, allowing for low-angle and macro photography. The upper disc where a tripod head is mounted has been redesigned as well, and now has a bull's eye bubble level that rotates 360° so you can locate it where you can see it. This allows you to level your camera on both the horizontal and vertical planes.
Manfrotto XPRO Magnesium Ball Head with 200PL-14 Quick Release Plate
This XPRO Magnesium Ball Head from Manfrotto features an integrated RC2 quick release cam lock and a 200PL-14 Quick Release Plate. RC2 compatible quick release plates such as the 200PL-14 can be removed from the head by pulling the cam lock's spring-loaded lever, which also allows the plate to be instantly reattached. The cam lock also features a safety catch to prevent the 200PL-14, or another compatible quick release plate from accidentally disconnecting.
The XPRO Magnesium Ball Head with 200PL-14 Quick Release Plate has a load capacity of 22.1 lb and can be attached to tripods or other support systems that feature a 3/8"-16 mount. By loosening this XPRO Magnesium Ball Head's primary locking knob, its ball-and-socket joint can be quickly swiveled, angled, fully tilted, or returned to its upright position. Toward the ball head's base is a secondary locking knob that controls the ability to rotate the head 360°. An additional knob opposite the secondary locking knob can be rotated to apply tension control to the ball-and-socket joint's movements.
Cameras or accessories that are compatible with a 1/4"-20 mount can be connected to the 200PL-14 quick release plate which measures 1.7 x 2.1 x 0.4" and has a rubberized, non-slip surface.
XPRO Magnesium Ball Head
- 22.1 lb load capacity
- Compatible with tripods or support systems that feature a 3/8"-16 mount
- Uses ball-and-socket joint to help maximize pan-and-tilt flexibility
- Ball-and-socket joint provides 360° of swivel control, is tiltable down to a 90° angle, and can be locked into place
- Integrated RC2 quick release cam lock
- Primary locking knob allows ball-and-socket joint to be quickly swiveled, angled, fully tilted, or returned to its upright position
- Secondary locking knob allows head to rotate 360°
- Dedicated tension control knob for the ball-and-socket joint's movements
- One bubble level for landscape orientations and one bubble level for portrait orientations
- Durable, magnesium-alloy construction
200PL-14 Quick Release Plate
- Compatible with Manfrotto RC2 quick release cam lock
- Measures 1.7 x 2.1 x 0.4" and has a rubberized, non-slip surface
- 1/4"-20 mount
- Durable, aluminum-alloy construction
Ruggard Outrigger 45 Backpack (Black)
The black Outrigger 45 Backpack from Ruggard holds a standard DSLR system and an iPad. The front pocket measures 8.0 x 7.25" and contains five small, pen-sized slip-in slots as well as a mesh stash pocket. The second compartment is dedicated for your iPad. The third compartment measures 14.5 x 8.5" and contains three memory card pockets, two slash stretch pockets, and a key ring. The spacious main compartment for your camera gear includes seven removable dividers that can be configured to accommodate whatever gear you carry.
For carrying comfort, the back of the backpack is made from a breathable, small-mesh, padded material and features a padded shoulder harness. You can also carry the backpack using the nylon grip handle at the top. The backpack has a sternum strap and a hideaway waist strap. An attached rain cover for inclement weather can be hidden away at the base of the backpack.
- Small, exterior, front, zippered pouch has interior mesh slip pocket and an organizer that includes two slip pockets and three pen slots
- Large, exterior, front, zippered pouch has two slip pockets, three touch-fastened memory card pockets, and a key leash
- Two, exterior, expandable side pockets with a touch-fastened closure
- Two, interior, large, zippered mesh pockets on front flap
- Two, large, rigid, padded interior dividers and five small ones can create up to eight sections inside the main compartment
- Elastic touch-fastened band inside main compartment secures larger lenses
- Tough 600D polyester exterior and 200D polyester interior lining
- Front, zippered flap opens all the way down for full access to main compartment
Vello ShutterBoss II Timer Remote Switch for Sony Multi-Terminal
The ShutterBoss II Timer Remote Switch for Sony Multi-Terminal from Vello is a remote shutter release that provides photographers with enhanced levels of exposure control. Featuring specialized functionality such as continuous shooting, self-timer, long time exposures, and interval shooting, the ShutterBoss II is a huge asset to keep in your camera bag. This particular ShutterBoss is compatible with cameras that have a Sony Multi-Terminal connection, for example: Sony Alpha: a1, a9 II, a9, a7S III, a7S II, a7S, a7R IVA, a7R IV, a7R IIIA, a7R III, a7R II, a7R, a7 III, a7 II, a7, a6600, a6500, a6400, 6300, a6100, a6000, a5100, a5000, a3000, a99 II, a77 II, a68, a58; Cyber-shot: RX1R II, RX10 IV, RX10 III, RX10 II, RX10, RX100 VII, RX100 VI, DSC-RX100 VA, RX100 V, RX100 IV, RX100 III, RX100 II, HX50V, HX90V, HX400V, HX400, and HX300 series cameras.
With the ShutterBoss you can set timer delays, exposure times and intervals up to 99 hours, 59 minutes, 59 seconds in one-second increments. You can also select from 1 to 399 continuous shots or set the device to take an unlimited number of photos. Since you can set exposures without touching the camera you will capture clear, blur-free images. This remote has a 4-line backlit LCD status display for easy viewing of timer and exposure settings. The backlight can be locked to remain on when shooting in low light conditions.
The ShutterBoss is great for time lapse series of blooming flowers, sunsets or the night sky. It can also function without batteries as a simple manual remote shutter release. Simply establish the camera's settings and push the remote's shutter button halfway to focus and fully to shoot. In bulb mode, slide the shutter release button forward to lock and the shutter will stay open until you release it.
The ShutterBoss II has added two features that will offer easier control over the remote's settings. First is a Power Off option which gives you the ability to power down the remote to conserve battery life and also a Reset option allows the ShutterBoss' settings to be completely reset to default settings with just the hold of two buttons. A default reset is a time-saver to avoid changing each setting individually.
Whether it's for simple shutter release, extended self-timer options, continuous shooting, long exposures, or time-lapse shooting, the ShutterBoss II Remote puts creative camera control in the palm of your hand.
Cyber-shot: RX1R II, RX10 IV, RX10 III, RX10 II, RX10, RX100 VI, RX100 VA, RX100 V, RX100 IV, RX100 III, RX100 II, HX90V, HX400V, HX400, HX300
Power Off and Reset Options
Long Battery Life
Gepe Pro 3-Way Accessory Shoe Mount Bubble Level
The Gepe Pro 3-Way Accessory Shoe Mount Bubble Level features acrylic construction and fits a standard photo accessory shoe. Three individual spirit/bubble levels are encased in clear acrylic, and the unit incorporates a molded accessory shoe mount. The design ensures that at least two of the three levels will read no matter how you orient your camera, so you don't have to remove the bubble level and flip it as you may with some other bubble levels. Each level is filled with bright yellow neon colored fluid, with black markings to help you level your equipment.
B+W 82mm XS-Pro Kaesemann High Transmission Circular Polarizer MRC-Nano Filter
The B+W 82mm XS-Pro Kaesemann High Transmission Circular Polarizer MRC-Nano Filter helps to reduce reflections and glare by filtering out light that has become polarized due to reflection from a non-metallic surface. The light from the sun naturally becomes partially polarized due to reflecting off electrons in air molecules, causing the light to scatter into what appears as haze. A polarizing filter arranges, and filters, this directionally polarized light perpendicularly to the reflected light, allowing for the absorption of much of this light. This results in a noticeable reduction of glare and reflections from non-metallic surfaces and an increase in the saturation of skies and foliage.
A circular polarizer only differs from a linear polarizer in that it contains a quarter wave plane in addition to the linear polarizing filter. The addition of this quarter wave plane is to circularly polarize the linearly polarized light for the use of auto focus and exposure functions. Due to how the light is broken down and filtered with a linear polarizer, auto focus and exposure accuracy become skewed during use. When the light becomes circularly polarized, it permits the use of these functions.
Kaesemann High Transmission Circular (HTC) polarizing filters are fitted with polarizing foils which provide 99.5% light transmission that are cemented between plano-parallel optical glass. The resulting sandwich is then precision-polished to achieve accurate plano-parallel surfaces. Finally, they are edge-sealed to protect the foil against humidity.
To prevent internal ghosting and reflections, each glass surface includes multiple layers of anti-reflection coating. This Multi-Resistant Coating (MRC) also offers further protection to the filter substrate and helps it to stay clean for longer than with uncoated filters. The Nano coating associated with XS-Pro filters provides an additional eighth layer over the MRC, resulting in an improved beading effect when in contact with water for greater cleaning efficiency.
B+W filters are constructed from Schott glass for increased optical clarity and color fidelity. This filter features a thin brass rotating filter ring to minimize the potential for vignetting while enhancing durability and jamming prevention. To further reduce the possibility of vignetting when this filter is in use, the filter ring's outside diameter is slightly larger than the actual thread size. This may prevent the use of some lens manufacturer bayonet hoods.
B+W 82mm XS-Pro MRC-Nano 803 ND 0.9 Filter (3-Stop)
The B+W 82mm XS-Pro MRC-Nano 803 ND 0.9 Filter (3-Stop) is a neutral density filter with a 8x filter factor that provides a 3-stop exposure reduction. Its 0.9 density creates a darkening of the entire image, allowing you to photograph with a wider aperture or slower shutter speed than normally required. By increasing your aperture or slowing your exposure time, you can control depth of field and convey movement more easily. Neutral density filters do not affect the coloration of the image and are ideal for pairing with other filters.
To prevent internal ghosting and reflections, each glass surface includes multiple layers of anti-reflection coating. This Multi-Resistant Coating (MRC) also offers greater protection to the filter substrate and helps it to stay clean for longer than with uncoated filters. The Nano coating associated with XS-Pro filters provides an additional eighth layer over the MRC, resulting in an improved beading effect when in contact with water for greater cleaning efficiency.
B+W filters are constructed from SCHOTT glass for increased optical clarity and color fidelity. This filter features a thin brass filter ring to minimize the potential for vignetting while enhancing durability and preventing jamming. To further reduce the possibility of vignetting when this filter is in use, the filter ring's outside diameter is slightly larger than the actual thread size. This may prevent the use of some lens manufacturer bayonet hoods.