This Schneider 6" Unmounted +3 Split-Field Lens is an unmounted, semicircular glass filter that is 6" in diameter and is designed for use in third-party or custom filter holders. When installed, it occupies half of a compatible filter holder's aperture and serves as a close-up lens for use in achieving macro-like results. Close-up lenses are magnifiers that optically decrease the focal length of a camera lens they are placed on. This effect lessens the minimum focus distance between your camera lens and an object. Magnification can then be obtained while photographing an object by moving the front of the camera lens close to it. The magnifying power of a close-up lens is indicated by its diopter strength. A close-up lens with a higher diopter number provides more relative magnification and can be combined with other close-up lenses to increase or fine-tune its effect. This split-field lens has a diopter strength of +3. Diopter strengths of +1/2, +1, or +2 are also available where this split-field lens type's effect becomes progressively stronger with each diopter strength number increase.
While the Schneider 6" Unmounted +3 Split-Field Lens is in use, the half of the filter holder aperture which is not occupied can allow a camera lens placed behind this filter to project an image where half of the frame is unmagnified. This provides the potential to place subjects magnified by the Schneider 6" Unmounted +3 Split-Field Lens within a discernible background, due to a close-up lens's secondary effect of only allowing a very shallow depth-of-field. The Schneider 6" Unmounted +3 Split-Field Lens can be effectively applied by lining it up to the subject that is intended to be magnified with either the bottom or top front half as well as either the left or right half of the camera lens being used. The split-field lens can be positioned within the filter holder it is placed in to orient the macro effect relative to horizon lines or specific background features. By also using a narrow lens aperture, the resulting wide depth-of-field can be captured by the remainder of the camera lens that is not affected by the Schneider 6" Unmounted +3 Split-Field Lens. A foreground subject can then be magnified and, simultaneously, some focus can be maintained on a background that would otherwise be rendered completely out-of-focus.
- Unmounted for use in third-party or custom filter holders for film and television cameras
- Within a compatible filter holder, creates a split-field, close-up lens configuration that allows macro-like results for a foreground subject while providing the ability to render backgrounds with a wide depth-of-field
- Allows magnified subjects to be shown within their environments
- Non-coated, water white optical glass construction
- Can be positioned within the filter holder it is placed in to orient the macro effect relative to horizon lines or specific background features
- Filter pouch for storage and transport