Compiled with the nature photographer in mind, this Nikon D5 with 500mm Lens and SB-5000 Speedlight Wildlife Kit put together by B&H bundles the capable full-format body and 500mm f/4 VR lens with a sturdy carbon fiber tripod and gimbal head. Also included in the kit is the SB-5000 speedlight and a flash modifier for easily lighting your subject.
Nikon D5 DSLR Camera (Body Only, Dual XQD Slots)
Qualifying itself as the flagship model in Nikon's DSLR lineup, the D5 is positioned as a truly fast, highly precise machine for professional photographers. Revolving around a full-frame, FX-format 20.8MP CMOS sensor and EXPEED 5 image processor, this workhorse touts an impressive 12 fps continuous shooting rate with full-time AF and AE, an expandable sensitivity range that goes up to ISO 3280000, and 4K UHD video recording at 30 fps. Matching the imaging versatility, the Nikon D5 is also characterized by its redeveloped Multi-CAM 20K 153-point AF system, which incorporates 99 cross-type sensors for refined precision when tracking moving subjects or working in difficult lighting conditions. This model features dual XQD memory card slots, to provide versatility in file handling during shooting, and a range of selectable raw file sizes can also be used depending on output needs. Designed to keep up with the fastest subjects and handle the most difficult working conditions, the Nikon D5 is an advanced DSLR well-suited to the most extreme multimedia workflows.
Echoing the robust set of imaging capabilities, the D5 is of course equally refined in its handling and physical design attributes. A rear 3.2" 2.36m-dot touchscreen LCD monitor afford clean, clear playback and live view shooting, along with an intuitive means for navigating the menu system. The camera chassis is constructed from magnesium alloy and is both dust- and weather-sealed to enable working in the harshest of environments. Additionally, lending an air of familiarity to the design, a slew of configurable Function buttons are available across the body, and an integrated vertical grip supports working in both horizontal and vertical shooting orientations.
20.8MP FX-Format CMOS Sensor and EXPEED 5 Image Processor
In addition to benefitting image quality, the EXPEED 5 processor also affords a wealth of speed throughout the camera system, including a top continuous shooting rate or 14 fps with the mirror up, or 12 fps with full-time autofocus and auto-exposure control. When shooting at 12 fps, up to 200 frames can be recorded in a single burst, even when shooting 14-bit lossless compressed NEF files. Benefitting this speed, redeveloped sequencer and mirror driving mechanisms also ensure consistent, accurate exposure results as well as a more stable viewfinder image.
153-Point Multi-CAM 20K Autofocus System
Complementing the abundance of focusing points is a dedicated AF engine, which offers quick response times to benefit tracking fast and randomly moving subjects, even at the top 12 fps shooting rate. The AF engine also contributes to enhanced focusing sensitivity, with all points capable of focusing -3 EV and the center point capable of reading at -4 EV for working in very dark, low-contrast situations.
Furthering the versatility of the focusing system, seven different AF-area modes can be selected to support varying types of subjects matter:
- Single-Point AF: The camera uses a single point to find focus.
- Dynamic-Area AF: Available with 25, 72, or 153-point selections, this mode uses a primary single focus point to lock onto focus, and then makes use of the surrounding points for maintaining focus while tracking erratically-moving subjects.
- Group-Area AF: This mode treats smaller groups of AF points as a single point for a wider field of recognition, and is well-suited to tracking faces or other detailed subjects.
- 3D-Tracking: Using a subject's color information, this mode utilizes all 153 points to maintain focus on a moving subject while half-pressing the shutter button.
- Auto-Area AF: This mode makes use of all 153 points to quickly identify the main subject, and then prioritizes recognized faces as portrait subjects in any AF servo mode.
In addition to the range of AF-area modes, an AF lock-on function can also be used to improve subject tracking performance, and can be adjusted by two parameters--quick or delayed blocked shot AF response and erratic or steady subject movement. By configuring these settings, the AF performance can be optimized to handle a wide variety of subject movement types.
Lastly, a unique auto AF fine-tune function can be employed to ensure the best possible focus for each mounted lens. Rather than relying on photographing distance charts, this function lets you achieve precise focus manually in live view, and then have the AF system calibrate itself to the fine-tuned focus position in order to alleviate front- and back-focusing issues.
4K UHD Video Recording
- FX-based movie image format makes use of the entire width of the sensor and is used to record Full HD 1920 x 1080 and HD 1280 x 720 video. This setting is well-suited for shallow depth of field effects and provides the widest field of view.
- 4K UHD movie image format is an area roughly corresponding to a DX crop of the full-frame sensor, and provides a 1.5x increase in the effective focal length of the lens in use. This area is reserved for 4K 3840 x 2160 recording.
- DX-based movie image format is a similar 1.5x crop of the full-frame sensor, however is used for recording Full HD and HD video.
- 1920 x 1080 crop movie image format is the smallest recording area, offering roughly a 3x increase in the effective focal length of the lens for gaining narrower fields of view.
As with still shooting, the wide range of sensitivities is available for recording in low- and bright-light conditions, ranging from expanded ISO 100-3280000, and sensitivity values are manually adjustable via the dedicated movie-shooting menu. Also, a video-optimized Flat Picture Control mode can be used during recording to flatten the overall contrast curve for more control during post-production and color grading.
In regard to handling, a dedicated power aperture button (Pv) makes it possible to achieve smooth, continuous exposure transitions when switching from light to dark areas, and Auto ISO can also be used to maintain consistent brightness when working in changing light situations. Audio recording can be handled using the built-in stereo microphone or an optional external mic can be added via the 3.5mm stereo jack for greater control over quality. Regardless if using the in-camera mic or an external mic, audio levels can be adjusted in 20 increments and live monitoring is possible via the headphone jack, which afford 30 different volume levels for playback.
In addition to straight movie recording, time-lapse recording, for up to 9999 consecutive frames shot over the course of up to one week, is also possible with up to 4K UHD/30p output from the camera.
- A large 3.2" rear LCD monitor features a high 2.36m-dot resolution for clear, vivid playback and live view shooting. The monitor is also a touchscreen for more intuitive menu navigation and settings control, and it can respond to haptic feedback even while wearing gloves. The touchscreen is also usable while shooting, giving you the ability to choose a focus point or an area to set the white balance from. The screen can also be used as a keyboard for quickly entering notes, copyright info, or IPTC information.
- This model of the D5 is configured with two XQD card slots, allowing you to extend file saving capabilities by permitting overflow recording, in-camera file duplicating, or the ability to segregate raw and JPEG files between the two cards.
- The familiar body design incorporates a vertical grip that is designed to be equally as comfortable and efficient when shooting in the vertical or horizontal orientation.
- A robust magnesium alloy chassis is both dust- and weather-resistant to benefit working in harsh climates and inclement conditions.
- The ergonomic grip and overall form factor are shaped to benefit handling for extended periods of time and are further accentuated by anti-slip, textured joysticks and easy-to-open card slot covers. Additionally, most of the rear buttons on the rear of the camera are illuminated for greater visibility when working in dim lighting conditions.
- The bright 0.72x optical pentaprism viewfinder covers 100% of the FX frame for framing accuracy. A detachable DK-27 Eyepiece Adapter also lets you attach a rain cover directly to the viewfinder for more comfortable shooting in wet conditions.
- Fn1, 2, and 3 Function buttons are placed about the camera body and can be used for adjusting or accessing a range of functions; functions can be assigned to the buttons at will, and customized depending on shooting needs.
- An electronic front-curtain shutter helps to minimize mechanical vibrations in order to better ensure sharpness during long exposures.
- The high-precision shutter mechanism has been tested for a long lifespan of 400,000 actuations.
- The included EN-EL18a rechargeable lithium-ion battery is CIPA-rated to last for approximately 3780 shots per charge in single-frame release modes.
Scene Recognition System and Exposure Metering
Other Camera Features
- Three different sizes of raw files can be used depending on your output needs; raw size medium and small are 12-bit lossless compressed NEF files while the large file size is a 14-bit lossless uncompressed or compressed NEF file.
- Spot White Balance control for live view shooting makes setting the white balance as easy as pointing to the area in the frame that should be white. Additionally, 1-6 preset white balance settings can be stored for easier switching between different light sources.
- When reviewing continuous shooting sequences, you can configure to have the playback begin with the first or last image from the burst.
- The D5 is compatible with the radio-controlled Advanced Wireless Lighting system, which permits working with the optional WR-R10 Controller and WR-A10 Receiver, along with the SB-5000, for intuitive, controllable wireless flash shooting.
- The built-in wired LAN function of 1000 Base-T (Gigabit) standard enables high-speed, seamless transferring of still imagery and movie files for expediting an entire post-production workflow.
- For wireless file transferring, the D5 is compatible with the optional WT-6A Wireless Transmitter.
- Picture Control modes allow you to set predefined looks to imagery in-camera and include Landscape, Monochrome, Neutral, Portrait, Standard, Vivid, Flat, and user-customizable settings.
- Language support: Arabic, Bengali, Bulgarian, Chinese (Simplified and Traditional), Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Marathi, Norwegian, Persian, Polish, Portuguese (Portugal and Brazil), Romanian, Russian, Serbian, Spanish, Swedish, Tamil, Telugu, Thai, Turkish, Ukrainian, and Vietnamese.
Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 500mm f/4E FL ED VR Lens
Optimized for fast shooting speeds and working in difficult conditions, the AF-S NIKKOR 500mm f/4E FL ED VR is an impressive telephoto designed for Nikon FX-format DSLRs. The sophisticated optical design incorporates two fluorite and three extra-low dispersion elements to control chromatic aberrations and distortions, as well as lessen the overall weight of the lens. Also contributing to improved image quality, both Nano Crystal and Super Integrated Coatings have been applied to lens elements to lessen flare and ghosting for improved contrast, clarity, and color fidelity. Protecting the advanced optical design is a front fluorine-coated meniscus glass element that, when paired with the weather-resistant magnesium-alloy barrel, supports working in inclement conditions.
A Silent Wave Motor AF system produces fast, near-silent focusing performance that suits both stills shooting and movie recording, which can instantly be manually overridden by simply turning the manual focus ring. Further contributing to photographing in fast-paced situations and difficult lighting, VR (Vibration Reduction) image stabilization compensates for the effects of camera shake by up to four shutter speed steps. Additionally, an electromagnetic aperture mechanism is integrated into the lens design to provide greater exposure control stability that is especially beneficial when working with faster continuous shooting rates.
This mechanism limits the compatibility of this lens to the following cameras: D5, D4, D3 series, Df, D850, D810, D810A, D800/E, D750, D700, D610, D600, D500, D300/S, D7500, D7200, D7100, D7000, D5600, D5500, D5300, D5200, D5100, D5000, D3400, D3300, D3200, D3100, Nikon 1 J1, J2, J3, J4 with FT-1, Nikon 1 V1, V2, V3 with FT-1, and Nikon 1 S1, S2 with FT-1.
Gitzo GT3543LS Systematic Series 3 Carbon Fiber Tripod (Long)
The GT3543LS Systematic Series 3 Carbon Fiber Tripod from Gitzo is a high capacity carbon fiber tripod that represents the ultimate goals of the Systematic lineup—minimal weight, durability, and uncompromising stability. The Series 3 tripods are optimal for traveling light but with extremely sturdy support, especially for those who prefer to work without a center column or need enhanced modularity.
Within the Series 3 line the GT3543LS is given the "Long" designation as it can extend from a minimum height of 3.5", to a maximum height of 57.5", all while maintaining an impressive weight capacity of 55 lb. Incorporating Gitzo's patented carbon eXact tubing, the GT3543LS sports maximum rigidity while keeping its weight to an absolute minimum. Weighing just 4.5 lb allows the tripod it be easily carried or transported in the studio or out in the field. It's folded length of just 22.4" makes storing or travelling with the tripod easy and convenient.
The Systematic line also features an array of unique, patented, and useful features which set a standard for professional quality. The key design element of the series is the use of Gitzo's Carbon eXact tubes which are extremely rigid despite their lightweight design. The carbon tubing is complimented by Gitzo's G-Lock Ultra twist-locks which maintain stable, solid connections between leg sections and prevent joint damage by blocking out dirt, dust, and moisture. Each leg on the tripod features a 50mm rubber articulating foot, providing a stable and versatile base for setting the tripod on most surfaces. If required, the feet may be removed and replaced with optional metal spikes for increased stability in sand, dirt, mud, snow, and ice. The base of the tripod also features a 3/8"-16 Easy Link attachment thread, allowing the user to connect a variety of accessories to the tripod including magic arms, shoe adapters, LED lights, monitors, and more.
Wimberley WH-200 Gimbal Tripod Head II with Quick Release Base
The Wimberley WH-200 Gimbal Tripod Head II with Quick Release Base is a gimbal-type tripod head that incorporates an elevated tilt mechanism and adjustable platform to make the camera/lens' center of gravity and tilt axis of the head be perfectly aligned.
Things once thought of as impossible with a ball head are nothing short of mundane with a Wimberley, because a weightless camera/lens combo (even a 600mm f/4 w/ large body) can literally be controlled with one finger. Point the rig where you want and take the hand away, and it stays exactly where you put it.
The Version II head is more compact and lightweight, features a redesigned panning base, "soft-touch" knobs, and includes a built-in Arca-type compatible quick release base. An Arca-type quick release plate is required and is available separately.
Distance from the mounting surface of the platform to the tilt axis: Adjustable from 1.1 to 4.8" (2.8 to 12.2cm).
Nikon SB-5000 AF Speedlight
Nikon has reimagined both on- and off-camera lighting with the SB-5000 AF Speedlight, which brings revolutionary radio control to the Creative Lighting System with Advanced Wireless Lighting and comes equipped with a world's first shoe-mounted flash cooling system that enables up to 100 consecutive full-power flashes. These features alone are enough to put it at the top of the speedlight heap, but the SB-5000 doesn't rest and provides a powerful guide number of 113' at ISO 100 and 35mm while also shrinking in overall size compared to its predecessors.
Of course, the SB-5000 AF Speedlight is fully compatible with Nikon's i-TTL automatic exposure system found in a majority of their cameras for fast, accurate operation. The radio control implemented in the SB-5000 requires a compatible DSLR using the WR-A10 Wireless Remote Adapter and WR-R10 Wireless Remote Controller in order to fully realize the power of the system. This enables the camera and flash to wirelessly control up to six groups of flashes from up to 98' away, without requiring any line of sight. Also, the SB-5000 and the radio system are fully compatible with the existing optical triggering method of older units and can even be mixed and matched for maximum versatility.
Designed for reliability as well as versatility, the innovative built-in cooling system of the SB-5000 is a first for shoe-mounted flashes. It vents heat quickly and efficiently, allowing you to fire up to 100 consecutive full power flashes without issue. It also means that the flash can be made smaller without compromising performance. This new design also ensures speedy and intuitive operation, implementing an Info button for fast access to some of your most commonly used settings.
As a standard flash the SB-5000 will not disappoint, providing a wide ranging zoom head of 24-200mm which can be extended down to 14mm with use of the built-in diffusion panel. The head will also tilt from -7 to +90° and rotate left and right 180° for complete bounce capabilities. Full sync mode support is available with slow, high-speed, 1st and 2nd curtain options.
The flash has a quick recycle time of 1.8-2.6 seconds and runs on four AA batteries. It can be powered by select external battery packs. A PC terminal can be found on the SB-5000 for further triggering options and it comes with a stand, diffusion dome, fluorescent and incandescent filters, and a soft case.
Visual Echoes FX6 Better Beamer Flash Extender
The Visual Echos FX6 Better Beamer Flash Extender will help to increase the reach of the flash, and increases the flash output by about 2 to 3 f/stops. It focuses and concentrates the output of the flash into a narrow beam via the Fresnel screen that gets positioned in front of the flash. This allows shooting at greater distances and shooting with smaller apertures.
The Better Beamer is designed to be used with lenses 300mm and longer. Its rugged injection-molded plastic side supports are attached to the flash head by a sturdy elastic "hook-and-loop" band. The rigid supports hold the Fresnel screen in place in both horizontal and vertical formats. Just weighs 2.5 oz.
The FX6 version is designed to fit the Nikon SB-5000 AF, SB-910 AF, SB-900 AF Speedlights and the Canon Speedlite 600EX II-RT, without any need for use of additional "shims."