Styled in dark gray, the Astell&Kern A&norma SR15 aims to be a portable system for playback of high-res audio, utilizing dual Cirrus Logic CS43198 chips and supporting 24-bit/192 kHz bit-to-bit type playback. The 64GB of on-board storage can be expanded with a microSD card (up to 400GB, total). The device can also work as a preamp for digital audio over USB.
32-bit audio is down-sampled using a sample-rate converter, and DSD 64/128 can be played back through conversion to PCM. DSDNative, on the other hand, stays in the DSD world. The player sports 3.5mm, 3-pole unbalanced and 2.5mm, 4-pole balanced headphone jacks. The balanced output can remove noise (common mode noise) that can occur in signal and inverting amplifier signal, while offering increased power output due to its double transmitting of signals.
The player sports a quirky design with a screen diagonally inset against a rectangular backdrop for an idiosyncratic look. The volume wheel is designed to be protruding slightly from a concave surface so that you can control volume with a simple motion of sliding your finger up and down. With onboard quad-core CPU, the SR15 possesses more than enough power for playing digital music and powering the user interface.
The audio player supports USB audio digital out and allows you to connect diverse digital-input portable amps through USB. It can transfer DSD in native through DoP and convert 5.6 MHz DSD into PCM for output to portable amps that do not support DoP. External amplifiers can be connected to the device utilizing a separately available OTG cable. An aluminum body lends durability to the whole construction.
- The dual DAC offers a separated channel circuit design that offers less noise and interference, while adding more fidelity and audio output power, to create a bigger sound stage with clearer imaging when paired with your favorite headphones or speakers
High Audio Output
- With a substantial power output of 4.0 Vrms from the balanced output, the SR15 can drive a wide range of heavy, hard-to-drive headphones without a problem thanks to Astell&Kern's audio design technology
- The redesigned audio circuit creates authentic sounds by exceeding previous Hi-Fi Audio specifications, including SNR, Crosstalk, and THD+N, over previous models
- The SR15 delivers Hi-Fi audio quality in a pocket-sized portable package
- The ergonomic body design fits nicely in the palm of the hand, making operation a smooth, one-handed experience
High Definition Audio Playback
- The SR15 plays any resolution of digital files up to 24-bit/192 kHz, bit-for-bit
- 32-bit audio and single- or double-rate DSD can also be played, but it will be converted to PCM or down-sampled
- The SR15 delivers original sound using the 2.5mm 4-pole balanced output that provides a more powerful audio signal with less noise interference
- USB Audio
- A simple USB connection will allow the SR15 to be used as a digital music storage device and/or pre-amp to output digital audio through USB
- The SR15 transfers DSD in native format through DoP (DSD over PCM), or converts DSD to PCM if DoP isn't supported
- USB DAC
- Connect to your Windows/Mac computer, or other system, via a USB cable and use the SR15's hardware to provide enhanced sound quality
- Bring out more detail and provide a better listening experience than your computer can deliver, even when listening to your favorite streaming service
- Use the SR15 as a USB DAC for playback support up to 24-bit, 192 kHz to deliver a richer sound through a larger soundstage and resolution
- For DSD playback, simply install the DAC driver on your computer and play DSD with ease