The Meade Instruments LX85 150mm f/12 Maksutov-Cassegrain GoTo EQ Telescope has a large aperture and long focal length, despite its short optical tube length, to allow you to make detailed observations of near- and deep-sky objects. Supporting this powerful observation tool is a full GoTo computer-controlled motorized equatorial mount that is ideal for long-duration observation and astrophotography sessions.
Utilizing a convex meniscus lens, a large primary mirror, and a smaller secondary mirror, the Maksutov-Cassegrain optical configuration limits obstruction and increases contrast and sharpness versus the more popular Schmidt-Cassegrain configuration. Performance is further improved with Meade's proprietary Ultra-High Transmission Coatings (UHTC) system, which improves light transmission through the light path across the entire visible spectrum. A combination of high-transmittance lens coatings and highly reflective mirror coatings boosts image brightness, while minimizing external light loss and internal diffraction. To help get new users started, Meade includes two eyepieces that produce low and high magnifications, a 90° star diagonal, and an 8x50 finderscope.
The mount delivers the performance required for clear views and images with dual-axis low-cog DC servo motors with backlash compensation. Added to this is Meade's proprietary Smart Drive system, which records and constantly refines its Permanent Periodic Error Correction (PPEC) to improve positioning and tracking precision and ensure your target object stays centered for long-exposure photography. Supporting the mount is a 1.75" stainless steel tripod that has a wide stance for stability on most terrain and a center tray that holds eyepieces and accessories and acts as a leg lock to further stabilize while helping to minimize vibrations.
Controlling the mount is the next-generation iteration of the iconic AutoStar system: the AudioStar. This computer controller is equipped with a database of over 30,000 objects, including the planets, stars, nebulae, galaxies, and complete Messier catalog; it can also be programmed with up to 100 custom user-defined objects with filters to create custom object lists. An integrated speaker and Astronomer Inside system is packed with over four hours of commentary that is customized to objects that are visible in the night sky on any given date and time. Its intuitive menu-driven user interface makes observing the heavens fast and easy, and multiple alignment options make the controller an invaluable tool to new users and experienced stargazers alike.
Optical Tube Assembly
- Large 150mm (6") aperture is ideal for viewing inside the solar system and far outside it
- f/12 focal ratio
- Long 1800mm focal length enables high magnifications for detailed lunar and planetary viewing
- Front convex meniscus lens corrects spherical and chromatic aberrations and comas (off-axis aberrations) across the entire field of view
- Small secondary mirror attached to rear of lens reduces obstructions and increases contrast
- Ultra-High Transmission Coatings (UHTC) system
- Single-speed internal focusing mechanism moves the primary mirror forward and back to achieve tack-sharp images with virtually zero backlash
- 2" visual back allows the use of larger eyepieces and accessories, and a 1.25" reducer adapter further expands compatibility
Ultra-High Transmission Coatings (UHTC)
- All corrector plate and mirror surfaces are fully multi-coated
- Engineered to optimize visual, photographic, and CCD imaging
- Improve light transmission across the entire visible spectrum through the optical path
- Corrector plate coatings made up of multiple layers of aluminum oxide (Al2O3), titanium dioxide (TiO2), and magnesium fluoride (MgF2)
- Mirror coatings consist of aluminum with multi-layer coatings of titanium dioxide (TiO2) and silicon dioxide (SiO2)
- Optical tube assembly (OTA) only. Mount and tripod required for proper use
- Vixen-style dovetail plate is compatible with a wide variety of mounts
- OTA weight: 12.4 pounds
- 1.25"-diameter nosepiece accepts most astronomical filters
- 9mm eyepiece produces a high 200x power
- 26mm eyepiece yields a low 69x magnification
- 2" nosepiece and holder allow the use of larger eyepieces and accessories like Barlow lenses
- 90° angle places user's head in a more comfortable position when the scope is pointed directly overhead
- Star configuration corrects viewing horizontally, but not vertically
- Use included reducer for the included eyepieces or other 1.25" accessories
- Low 8x power ensures a wide field of view for faster alignment and easier star-hopping navigation
- Large 50mm aperture produces bright images to more easily find alignment stars
- Crosshair reticle enables precision centering, requiring less fine-tuning in eyepiece
- Includes mounting bracket