The Meade Instruments LX85 152mm f/10 ACF UHTC Catadioptric GoTo EQ Telescope has a large aperture and long focal length, despite its short optical tube length, to allow you to make detailed observations of near- and deep-sky objects. Supporting this powerful observation tool is a full GoTo computer-controlled motorized equatorial mount that is ideal for long-duration observation and astrophotography sessions.
This telescope utilizes Meade's Advanced Coma-Free (ACF) catadioptric light path to reduce color fringing and off-axis comas, enabling it to clearly resolve dim deep-sky objects and easily split binary stars with tack-sharp clarity. Complementing the ACF system is their Ultra-High Transmission Coatings (UHTC) system, which improves light transmission through the entire light path across the whole visible spectrum. A combination of high-transmittance lens coatings and highly reflective mirror coatings boosts image brightness, while minimizing external light loss and internal diffraction. To help get new users started, Meade includes two eyepieces that produce low and high magnifications, a 90° star diagonal, and an 8x50 finderscope.
The mount delivers the performance required for clear views and images with dual-axis low-cog DC servo motors with backlash compensation. Added to this is Meade's proprietary Smart Drive system, which records and constantly refines its Permanent Periodic Error Correction (PPEC) to improve positioning and tracking precision and ensure your target object stays centered for long-exposure photography. Supporting the mount is a 1.75" stainless steel tripod that has a wide stance for stability on most terrain and a center tray that holds eyepieces and accessories and acts as a leg lock to further stabilize while helping to minimize vibrations.
Controlling the mount is the next-generation iteration of the iconic AutoStar system: the AudioStar. This computer controller is equipped with a database of over 30,000 objects, including the planets, stars, nebulae, galaxies, and complete Messier catalog; it can also be programmed with up to 100 custom user-defined objects with filters to create custom object lists. An integrated speaker and Astronomer Inside system is packed with over four hours of commentary that is customized to objects that are visible in the night sky on any given date and time. Its intuitive menu-driven user interface makes observing the heavens fast and easy, and multiple alignment options make the controller an invaluable tool to new users and experienced stargazers alike.
Optical Tube Assembly
- Large 152mm (6") aperture is ideal for objects within the solar system as well as deep-sky objects like galaxies and nebulae
- f/10 focal ratio makes it a competent optic for astrophotography and imaging
- 1524mm focal length enables high magnifications for detailed lunar and planetary viewing
- Advanced Coma-Free catadioptric design
- Ultra-High Transmission Coatings (UHTC) system
- Single-speed internal focusing mechanism moves the primary mirror forward and back to achieve tack-sharp images with virtually zero backlash
- 1.25" visual back allows the use of the most popular size of eyepieces and accessories
- Reduces off-axis comas and astigmatism for sharper images
- Eliminates diffraction spikes for better resolution
- Aplanatic design produces flat, distortion-free images across the field of view—especially at the edges
- All corrector plate and mirror surfaces are fully multi-coated
- Engineered to optimize visual, photographic, and CCD imaging
- Improve light transmission across the entire visible spectrum through the optical path
- Corrector plate coatings made up of multiple layers of aluminum oxide (Al2O3), titanium dioxide (TiO2), and magnesium fluoride (MgF2)
- Mirror coatings consist of aluminum with multi-layer coatings of titanium dioxide (TiO2) and silicon dioxide (SiO2)
- Optical tube assembly (OTA) only. Mount and tripod required for proper use
- Vixen-style dovetail plate is compatible with a wide variety of mounts
- Weight: 9.1 pounds
- 1.25"-diameter nosepiece accepts most astronomical filters
- 9mm eyepiece produces a high 169x power
- 26mm eyepiece yields a low 59x magnification
- 1.25" nosepiece and holder are compatible with the widest assortment of eyepieces and accessories available
- 90° angle places user's head in a more comfortable position when the scope is pointed directly overhead
- Star configuration corrects viewing horizontally, but not vertically
- Low 8x power ensures a wide field of view for faster alignment and easier star-hopping navigation
- Large 50mm aperture produces bright images to more easily find alignment stars
- Crosshair reticle enables precision centering, requiring less fine-tuning in eyepiece
- Includes mounting bracket