Designed with a single external 90mm solar etalon filter, the Coronado SolarMax III 90mm f/8.8 H-alpha Solar Telescope builds on the success of their earlier solar scope models to provide users with a powerful optic for solar and nighttime viewing. With the primary etalon positioned externally, users can simply and easily remove the front solar and rear blocking filters to convert the SolarMax III into a competent nighttime viewing telescope—greatly increasing the scope's versatility.
Specifically calibrated to isolate the hydrogen-alpha wavelength with a less than 0.7Å bandpass for observing prominences in high contrast against the black backdrop of space, the primary etalon comes equipped with Coronado's patented RichView tuning system to improve contrast and enhance views when atmospheric interference or Doppler-shift require you to bring the etalon back on band. Directly adjusting the etalon enables it to be tuned up or down from the 6562.8Å H-alpha wavelength to reveal prominence details and compensate for various factors that can pull the prominences and other features off band and affect views.
The SolarMax III benefits from a precision 2" 7:1 dual-speed rack-and-pinion system. When used as a conventional scope, larger 2" conventional eyepieces and accessories can be used, though the more common 1.25" size is compatible when using the included 1.25" reducer adapter. The more precise focuser is complemented by a rear 90° 30mm blocking filter to provide a wide field of view and allows for full-disk viewing even with higher magnification eyepieces, or when photographing the sun, to completely cover larger imaging sensors and to avoid vignetting. This secondary blocking filter is used to further isolate the H-alpha wavelength for improved contrast on surface granulation, and prominence detail. This larger blocking filter also enables the use of eyepieces with greater field-stop diameters to be used without vignetting occurring, as might occur with smaller-aperture blocking filters.
To get users started, Coronado includes a 2-to-1.25" reducer adapter and three CEMAX eyepieces that produce low, medium, and high powers, plus a 2x Barlow lens that doubles the magnification of each eyepiece. The eyepiece holder and blocking filter will accept any 2" solar eyepiece or accessory, and with the reducer adapter any 1.25" eyepiece can also be used. The optical tube assembly is offered here without a mount or tripod, but comes with a Vixen-style dovetail plate for users who already have a reliable and stable mount and support system. To protect the OTA and accessories during transport and storage, Coronado includes a hard carrying case with a custom-cut foam lining. The case is color-matched to the OTA in their elegant black and gold color scheme.
With the Coronado SolarMax III telescope you can enjoy stunning views of our closest star, and by simply removing the exterior solar filters you can view the moon, planets, and deep-sky objects at night.
Optical Tube Assembly
- Use for daytime solar observation, or as a conventional nighttime scope with the solar and blocking filters removed
- 90mm aperture improves contrast and solar details, and makes it ideal for lunar and planetary viewing, or to see bright deep-sky objects at night
- Moderate f/8.8 focal ratio
- Long 800mm focal length boosts magnification potential enabling higher powers to be used for more detailed views
- Achromatic refractor-style lens configuration
- Fully multi-coated optics improve light transmission, color rendition, contrast, and sharpness
- 7:1 dual speed rack-and-pinion focuser allows for fast coarse and precise fine focusing to achieve tack-sharp images
- 2" drawtube enables the use of larger eyepieces and accessories for full-disk viewing without vignetting
- 90mm clear-aperture solar filter
- Fully external filter, etalon, and tuning system allows the filter to be completely removed
- Tuned for viewing in the hydrogen-alpha wavelength, at 6562.8Å with a bandpass of less than 0.7Å
- Reveals prominences in stark contrast against the black backdrop of space
- Observe details of surface granulation and texture
- Large 30mm secondary blocking filter improves contrast, and shows more space around the sun than smaller blocking filters to allow for higher magnification eyepieces to be used while maintaining full solar-disk viewing and to completely cover large imaging sensor during solar photography; set in a 90° rear diagonal
- Proprietary RichView tuning system on the primary etalon allow it to be tuned for Doppler-shift compensation or to highlight specific zones
- Optical tube assembly only—mount and tripod required for proper use
- Mounting ring assembly allows the relative position of the OTA to the mount to be adjusted for proper balance and to limit obstruction with mount, counterweights, or other gear
- Vixen-style dovetail plate available for use with conventional telescope mounts
- Weight: 22 pounds
- 1.25" diameter barrel
- 25mm yields a low power of 32x
- 18mm produces a medium magnification of 44x
- High-power 12mm eyepiece produces 67x magnification
- Fold-down rubber eyecup for use with or without eyewear
- Designed specifically for use at H-alpha wavelengths to improve contrast and minimize glare
- Specifically tuned to complement the eyepieces and rear blocking filter
- Effectively doubles the magnification of any eyepiece used with it, without affecting eye relief, to make high-power viewing more comfortable
- 1.25" nosepiece and holder
- Solar finder enables safe aiming of the OTA at the sun
- Protects OTA and accessories during transport and storage
- Hard aluminum exterior with reinforced corners and edges
- Dual snap-lock latches with hinged handle
- Custom-cut interior foam lining
- Iconic Coronado black and gold coloring matches the optical tube assembly and accessories
- Dimensions: 26.5x8.7x8.7"