Available for download, iZotope RX 7 Standard is the latest update to iZotope's audio repair software, which is considered a staple for recording, mastering, and audio-for-video post-processing. The software can operate either as a standalone application or as a plug-in for both Mac- and Windows-based DAWs and NLEs. From fixing common audio problems like noises, distortions, and inconsistent recordings, to repairing severely damaged audio using Spectral Repair, RX can transform previously unusable audio into something usable.
The standard edition of RX 7 takes nearly all the modules provided in RX 6 Standard and implements a graphic overhaul more in line with iZotope's current aesthetic. You'll also find several new processes sure to help out in audio-restoration contexts including Variable Time, Variable Pitch, Music Rebalance, and the Repair Assistant.
Variable Time lets you change the time stretch of an audio selection without affecting its pitch. Variable Pitch does the opposite, allowing you to adjust the pitch of an audio selection without negatively impacting its duration. Previously, these processes were combined into one module.
Music Rebalance analyzes a full mix of music and allows you to rebalance the levels of its bass, vocals, drums, and harmonic content, doing so with four dedicated sliders. Do you have a bit of background music whose vocal line interferes with the dialogue? Use the Music Rebalance module to lower the offending vocal. Need to beef up the bass in an anemic mix that came your way? Use this tool to emphasize the bass with the bass slider.
Repair Assistant takes the concept behind iZotope's Mixing and Mastering Assistants and applies them to the restoration of audio. Simply select the audio you need to process, click on the Repair Assistant button, and let the program analyze your audio. It will offer you three options for processing (light, medium, and aggressive), and you can choose among them after auditioning each one. Next, hit render, and the Repair Assistant will automatically fix the issue.
All the tools work as they did in earlier versions of RX, allowing you to paint away audio problems on the spectrogram, as does the Module Chain, which reduces the number of mouse clicks required for using a series of processes. Many algorithms which did not provide real-time preview now do, which makes working a bit faster.
High-quality resampling and dithering are once again provided along with batch processing. A detailed spectrum analyzer detects peaks automatically, and a suite of automatic, intelligent modules reduces manual tasks in the audio production workflow. RX 7 can be used as a standalone audio editor (including standalone but connected to your host via RX Connect, or as your DAW's audio editor, in the case of Logic Pro), and much of it can be used as a suite of plug-ins.
New Modules and Features
Key Features at a Glance
- De-plosive eliminates every plosive from any dialogue track with transparency
- Leveler smooths any volume inconsistencies with an automatic clip gain envelope; leveler optimized for dialogue using intelligent De-breath and De-ess algorithms
- Instant Process tool is a one-click eraser for removing unwanted coughs, scene-interrupting sirens, etc.
- Module Chain can process multiple modules at once, save your customized chains as presets, and execute them all with a single click, enhancing workflow and reducing mouse clicks
- Sync and integrate the RX Audio Editor with any DAW or NLE timeline using RX Connect
- Pro Tools support for clip-by-clip and handles, which preserves the boundaries of clips, allowing for simpler picture changes
- Corrective EQ for removing harsh high frequencies, whines, rumbles, resonances, and distortion artifacts, and for accurately honing in on any problem frequency areas
- Sixty problem-oriented presets across several modules
- Signal Generator creates accurate test tones, calibration tones for post-production delivery specs, bleep tones for eliminating obscenities in dialogue
- Markers and regions (search) provide greater flexibility for those longer edits, with the ability to perform text based searches of any markers, regions, and comments in the metadata of the audio
- Turn flawed audio into usable material by removing noises, distortions, and more
- Edit audio with visual editing techniques using precision drawing tools, such as a brush and magic wand
- Salvage unusable material by filling in audio gaps instantly with Spectral Repair
- Seamlessly integrates with audio or video editing software, both as a standalone application or plug-in
- EQ Match allows for quickly learning the EQ of a source audio clip and applying that EQ curve to a target audio clip, enabling sonic balance and smooth transitions between multiple audio sources with different EQ qualities
- Ambience Match for matching the environment noise of two different audio recordings
- Learn the ambient noise from a source audio clip and apply it to another audio clip, and create long sections of constant ambient noise to insert under inconsistent dialogue recordings
- Loudness module processes whole program mixes or segments to comply with international industry standards, ensuring mixes never fail network specifications
- High-quality resampling using the SRC sample rate conversion algorithm
- Reduce bit resolution for final delivery of a project without sacrificing quality with the MBIT+ Dither algorithm
- Rebuild distorted audio caused by analog and digital overload, and get through projects faster with the automatic Suggest feature
- Spectrum Analyzer delivers a detailed spectral display that detects peaks automatically
- Adaptive Hum Removal notches out fundamental hum frequencies that may change over time, like when recording a shot in multiple locations
- Non-destructive Clip Gain allows for easily adjusting and balancing the volume of vocals and instrumentals
- Export marker regions as files
- Metadata display (see ID3 tags and broadcast WAV metadata like source Timecode, etc.)
- Time-reverse audio
- Updated timeline ruler that displays original recorded source Timecode
- Movable tabs
- Full-screen support for Mac