By combining their 62mm APO refractor and Mobile Porta mount into the A62SS 62mm f/8.4 Achro Refractor AZ Telescope, Vixen Optics gives you a complete and highly portable observation rig for viewing the moon, planets, and other celestial objects. You get the A62SS achromatic refractor optical tube, the manual alt-azimuth mount with tripod, plus an array of accessories including a star diagonal, an eyepiece, a Barlow lens, a dot finder, and a carrying case for the OTA.
Vixen Optics A62SS 62mm f/8.4 Achro Refractor Telescope (OTA Only)
Vixen Optics' A62SS 62mm f/8.4 Achro Refractor Telescope utilizes a 4-element achromatic objective lens design to produce a scope with a longer effective focal length than the optical tube while retaining the advantages of a conventional refractor light path. Outfitted with a respectable 62mm (3") objective and 520mm focal length, Vixen was able to get the focal ratio down to just f/8.4, making this an ideal OTA for both observation and imaging. Complementing the focal length and ratio are multi-coated optics to increase contrast, and a Crayford-style focuser which allows for precision focusing without backlash.
The A62SS is offered here without a mount or tripod for users that have mounting and support system already, and it comes equipped with a Vixen-style dovetail plate. The plate also has 1/4"-20 and 3/8"-20 mounting holes to give users the option of attaching it to conventional photo/video/field tripods. A dew-shield protects the objective from condensation and glare, and retracts to shorten the overall length to fit inside the included soft carrying bag.
- 62mm (3") aperture
- f/8.4 focal ratio
- 520mm effective focal length
- Achromatic refractor optical design
- Anti-reflection multi-coated optics for improved light transmission and image contrast
- 4-element achromatic objective lens helps to reduce chromatic and spherical aberrations for true color rendition without distortion across entire field of view
- Resolution: 1.87 arc sec
- Factory-installed finderscope mount
- Retractable dew shield
- 1.25" diameter drawtube
- Single-speed Crayford-style
- Toothless friction system allows for super-fine precision focusing without backlash
- Adapter Thread: 42mm for T-ring, 37mm for filter
- Rotatable Focuser: For astrophotography, allows for precise camera positioning; for observation, helps to position OTA orientation for comfortable viewing
- Mount and tripod required
- Vixen-style dovetail plate
- 1/4"-20 and 3/8"-16 mounting holes for photo/video/field tripod heads
Vixen Optics Mobile Porta AZ Mount with Tripod
Equipped with two fine adjustment handles for whole-circle slow-motion control on both axes, the Vixen Mobile Porta AZ Mount comes with a sturdy tripod that adjusts from 28 to 51" to accommodate a wide variety of users and viewing positions. As the name suggests, the Mobile Porta is optimized for travel with a folding fork-arm design and its ease of use helps to minimize the common support-system-oriented frustration often experienced when searching for and tracking celestial objects.
It has an 8-pound payload capacity for smaller telescopes like refractors and Maksutov-Cassegrains, and is recommended for optical tube assemblies (OTAs) with a diameter of 119mm (4.6") or less for safe use. Its friction control system allows you to move the mount by hand without fumbling with locks or clutches and stays in place when it's released, and its slow-motion handles enable fine position adjustments while minimizing vibrations.
Optimized for Mobility
- Light 8-pound weight
- Arm can be rotated at 15° intervals to avoid having the telescope impeded by the slow-motion handles
- Fork arm folds without the use of tools for easy transport and storage
- Vixen-style dovetail saddle
- Manual alt-azimuth design
- Dual axis slow-motion handles enable precise adjustment to center subjects
- Friction control system allows the mount to be moved by hand to any position without locks or clutches to worry about
- 360° rotation horizontal wheel gear
- Includes tool kit to adjust friction system based on OTA and accessories being used
- Recommended for 119mm (4.6") and smaller OTAs
- 8-pound payload capacity
- Aluminum legs are lightweight and durable
- Compact two-stage legs
- Adjustable height from 28 to 51" (71.1-129.5cm)
- Center tray adds stability while offering a place for eyepieces, filters, and other accessories
Vixen Optics XY Dot Finder
Vixen Optics designed their XY Dot Finder as a faster alternative to conventional magnified finderscopes. This unmagnified optic puts a red dot in the center of the sighting window that, when properly aligned with your optical tube, allows you to simply cover your target object with it and have it centered in your OTA's eyepiece. This design allows you to see the entire night sky above you for faster scanning and movement versus conventional finderscopes that limit your field of view. With eleven settings, controlled by an easy to use rheostat dial, the dot intensity can be set at the most comfortable brightness so you can see the dot without affecting your night-adjusted vision. This dot finder comes with an aluminum mounting bracket that is compatible with all Vixen OTAs and one CR2032 battery.
Vixen Optics NPL Plossl 10mm Eyepiece (1.25")
Sharp, light and simple, the 2-group/4-element Vixen 10mm NPL Plössl Eyepiece design offers flat, clear imagery well corrected for chromatic aberrations.
Vixen Optics 2x Barlow Lens (1.25") with Built-In T-Mount Adapter
The Vixen Optics #3907 Barlow Lens T is a 2x Barlow lens that inserts into 1.25" focusers or diagonals (when used with a diagonal, effective magnification is 3.3x instead of 2.0x).
This Barlow can be used conventionally for observing with a 1.25" eyepiece, but it can also be used as a SLR photo adapter. On the observing end of the unit there's a T-threading; simply attach a Vixen T-mount (listed here as accessories) to use this Barlow together with your SLR camera.