The VOX MVX150C1 is a 150W 1x12" amplifier for electric guitarists. In both the preamp and power-amp stages, the MVX150C1 makes use of Nutubes, which condense the basic structure of a vacuum tube down into the size of a chip. This ensures a creamy, tube-like tone, while promoting a ruggedness most tubes cannot deliver by virtue of their construction.
The amplifier offers two channels, but each channel has two different voicings, making the MVX150C1 a versatile unit indeed. Channel one provides clean and crunch modes, while channel two supplies rhythm and lead operations.
Each channel gives you Gain and Volume controls. Both have tonal shaping capabilities: a Tone knob on channel one, and a complete tone stack on channel two. Both channels supply Bright and Fat switches. A Mid-Shift switch on channel two gives you further control over the midrange.
The digital reverb, presence, and resonance controls are shared between both channels. Two master volume knobs are on hand, but these are only selectable via a separately-available footswitch. With the footswitch, you can use the second master knob to push your sound into greater power-amp saturation.
A bevy of features and connections are located on the rear of the amplifier, including an effects loop (switchable between series and parallel operation), an emulated line output (with a sensitivity switch), a power level selector (for reducing your wattage). With a dedicated wet output, you can route effected signal straight to the house, while the dry, unprocessed signal will go to the emulated output. This gives the FOH engineer more options in mixing your sound, as the engineer can put the dry and effected outputs on different channels.
A 1/4" speaker output lets you connect to an extension cabinet, and with the impedance selector, you can choose among 4-, 8-, and 16-Ohm operation. Two footswitch inputs are on hand for external control. A power cable is included.
Key Features at a Glance
- 150W amp featuring a Nutube vacuum tube in both the preamp and power amp sections
- Two-channel design covers a wide range of tones, from pure clean sounds to modern hi-gain
- Each channel provides EQ as well as various modes that provide a wide array of tones
- Each channel's preamp is equipped with a bias adjustment knob
- Built-in digital reverb
- Wet Only output lets you easily set up a wet/dry rig
- Emulated Line Out allows realistic amp sounds for direct-line recording
- Relatively lightweight at 42.8 lb
- UK-made Celestion Redback speaker