Let the Daystar Filters dedicated Scout 60mm DS Chromosphere Solar Telescope be your introduction to the wonders and sights of our closest star. Optically, this is an achromatic doublet refractor which corrects spherical and chromatic aberrations to produce accurate color rendition without distortion across the entire field of view. Included with the optical tube assembly (OTA) is a modified Quark solar filter system, specifically tuned for chromosphere viewing. The chromosphere's surface structure behaves differently in active regions than quiet areas, where magnetic field lines are stronger, so viewing this portion of the Sun provides a constantly changing observational experience.
To make the scope accessible to as many people as possible, Daystar redesigned their Quark system and integrated it into the OTA. This all-in-one hydrogen-alpha filter delivers the performance of a double-stacked etalon at a much lower price. It is engineered to eliminate unnecessary components, which reduces the size and weight and enables it to fit in a compact form factor that flows seamlessly with the form and contour of the optical tube.
The Solar Scout is offered here as an OTA-only option, so a mount and tripod are required for proper use. Daystar includes a Vixen-style dovetail plate to be compatible with many mounts, and a 1/4"-20 socket on the plate allows it to be directly attached to many photo, video, or field tripods. Also included is a solar finder for safe alignment for observation.
- 60mm aperture keeps the overall diameter narrow for easier handling
- Slow f/15.5 focal ratio
- 930mm focal length produces a moderate magnification potential
- Refractor-style light path is sturdy and requires little maintenance—ideal for off-the-grid observations
- Achromatic doublet lens design corrects spherical and chromatic aberration to produce accurate color fidelity without distortion across the entire field of view
- Sturdy and precise helical focuser has no backlash and won't rotate eyepiece/imaging rig to ensure optical alignment and orientation
- Safe "bullet" solar finder
- Hydrogen-alpha bandpass
- 16mm clear filter aperture
- Tuned to 0.5-0.3Å for viewing chromosphere details
- Tuning knob allows for ±0.5Å wing shift for Doppler-shift compensation
- LED indicators for power, warming, ready, and fault
- 1.25" nosepiece and holder is compatible with a wide range of drawtubes/focusers and visual/photographic accessories
- 5 VDC, 1.5A micro-USB port
- 90-240 VAC US wall outlet adapter
- OTA only, mount and tripod required
- Vixen-style dovetail plate is compatible with a wide variety of mounts
- 1/4"-20 mounting socket allows the use of many photo/video/field tripods