Celestron designed the AstroMaster 80AZS 80mm f/5 Alt-Az Refractor Telescope as a multi-function starter scope that can be used for both astronomical and terrestrial viewing with fast setup and breakdown.
Its larger aperture and short focal length allow it to draw in a generous amount of light with a somewhat low magnification potential to keep views of the Moon and planets bright while preserving wide fields of view that complement the manual alt-az mount. The included 90° diagonal has an integrated erecting prism that corrects the view to enable the scope's use on land. Celestron includes two eyepieces for high and medium magnifications.
The AstroMaster is outfitted with a manual alt-azimuth mount. To make finding and tracking objects easy, there is an altitude control handle and an azimuth lock. Supporting the mount and optical tube assembly (OTA) is a stainless steel tripod with sturdy 1.25" diameter legs and an adjustable height to accommodate a wide variety of users and viewing positions. Its center accessory tray pulls double-duty as a convenient place to store eyepieces and smartphones while it locks the legs in place to improve stability and reduce vibrations.
- 80mm aperture is ideal for lunar and planetary viewing as well as terrestrial use
- Fast f/5 focal ratio ensures views remain bright
- Short 400mm focal length produces lower magnifications for wider fields of view to complement the manual mount
- Refractor-style light path produces sharp and clear views with limited aberration
- Anti-reflection fully coated optics improve light transmission, color rendition, sharpness, and contrast
- 1.25" rack-and-pinion focuser
- Integrated dew shield prevents condensation at night, and minimizes glare during the day
- Dovetail plate allows OTA to be attached to mount quickly and without tools
- Manual alt-azimuth
- Control handle helps to adjust altitude
- Azimuth lock reduces vibration and additional movement
- Dovetail saddle accepts OTA plate
- 1.25" stainless steel legs
- Adjustable height from 32 to 51"
- Accessory tray locks in place for added stability and vibration reduction
- Spiked feet provide additional stability on soft, rough, or uneven ground
- Weight: 7.6 lb
- 1.25" diameter barrels accept most astronomical filters
- 10mm produces 40x magnification
- 20mm yields 20x power
- 90° angle places user's head in a comfortable viewing position
- Built-in erecting prism corrects view for terrestrial use as a conventional spotting scope
- 1.25" barrel and eyepiece holder
- Unmagnified to provide an exceptionally wide field of view to make finding subjects fast and star-hopping navigation easy
- Projects a center aiming dot that won't obscure the subject
- Variable-intensity center dot won't affect night-adjusted vision