A sleek form factor along with capable imaging and a long-reaching zoom, the Cyber-shot DSC-HX99 from Sony is a compact camera well-suited for travel and everyday shooting. Revolving around a back-illuminated 18.2MP Exmor R CMOS sensor and BIONZ X image processor, the HX99 is capable of producing notably smooth and clear imagery with low noise levels, along with an expandable sensitivity range up to ISO 12800. The sensor and processor combination also avail fast performance throughout the camera system, including a 10-fps continuous shooting rate and UHD 4K30p video recording. Complementing the imaging is a balanced physical design, which incorporates both a pop-up OLED Tru-Finder electronic viewfinder and 180° tilting 3.0" 921k-dot touchscreen LCD, along with built-in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth for wireless image sharing and remote camera control via a linked smartphone or tablet. Contrasting its sleek size, the HX99 is also distinguished by its impressive 30x zoom ZEISS Vario-Sonnar T* lens, which provides a 24-720mm equivalent zoom range. Spanning wide-angle to super telephoto perspectives, this lens benefits from Optical SteadyShot image stabilization, which minimizes the appearance of camera shake for sharper handheld imagery. Designed to be a versatile, all-in-one pocketable camera, the HX99 mixes both capability and intuitiveness to appeal to a wide range of shooting needs.
18.2MP Exmor R CMOS Sensor and BIONZ X Image Processor
Additionally, the HX99 is the first HX-series camera capable of recording UHD 4K video, at either 30p or 24p frame rates, as well as Full HD video. 4K video uses full sensor pixel readout to record approximately 1.6x times the required information, and this oversampling process helps to deliver greater clarity along with reduced moiré and other artifacts.
ZEISS Vario-Sonnar T* 30x Zoom Lens
Complementing the optical design, Optical SteadyShot image stabilization is also used to minimize the appearance of camera shake. An Intelligent Active Mode is also available to reduce blur common to shooting video while moving. Also aiding in achieving sharp imagery, Fast Intelligent AF employs an optimized spatial object detection algorithm to quicken focusing speeds, and Eye AF can be used to automatically detect and focus on the eyes of the main subject.
Body Design and Wireless Connectivity
- Helping to maintain a sleek form factor, the 638.4k-dot OLED Tru-Finder electronic viewfinder employs a unique pop-up design to retain a pocketable overall size when not in use.
- Rear 3.0" 921k-dot LCD monitor employs a 180° tilting design to facilitate working from low angles or taking front-facing selfies, and this screen is also a touchscreen for intuitive menu navigation as well as the ability to work with Touch Focus, Touch Pad AF, and Touch Shutter functions.
- A control ring surrounds the lens for directly and intuitively adjusting shooting settings, such as shutter speed and aperture, among others.
- Built-in pop-up flash provides additional illumination when working in low-light conditions.
- The large right-hand grip offers increased comfort and support for longer shooting sessions.
- Built-in Wi-Fi with NFC lets you wirelessly share imagery to a smartphone or tablet for instant sharing online. This connectivity also lets you remotely control the camera from a mobile device. Additionally, Bluetooth connectivity also lets you embed your mobile device's location data to your images for geotagging.
- Included NP-BX1 rechargeable lithium-ion battery provides approximately 370 shots per charge when working with the rear monitor, or 300 shots per charge when shooting with the electronic viewfinder.