The Meade Instruments LX85 8" f/5 Reflector Telescope utilizes a large aperture, long focal length, and a highly-reflective parabolic primary mirror to produce bright and clear views of objects such as the moon and planets, as well as difficult-to-see deep-sky objects like wispy nebulae.
The Newtonian reflector design enables larger apertures than are practical in conventional refractors, allowing novices and intermediate astronomers to reach out into the universe with ease to enjoy wonders like galaxies, nebulae, globular clusters, and more. Added to this already impressive performance, is a sturdy rack-and-pinion focuser that is outfitted with a 2" holder for eyepieces and accessories. A 1.25" reducer adapter is also provided to use smaller (and more common) eyepieces and accessories. To help get new users started, Meade includes two eyepieces that produce low and high magnifications, along with an 8x50 finderscope.
This version of the LX85 is offered here without a mount or tripod for users who already have a reliable support system and are looking to upgrade their OTA, or add another to their astronomy kit. It is outfitted with a Vixen-style dovetail rail to make it compatible with a wide variety of mounts from virtually any manufacturer.
Optical Tube Assembly
- Large 8" (200mm) aperture is ideal for viewing and imaging of deep-sky objects like nebulae, as well as the moon and planets
- Fast f/5 focal ratio helps to preserve a wide field of view, image brightness, and resolution
- Long 1000mm focal length maintains a generous field of view with a high magnification potential
- Newtonian reflector design reduces chromatic aberration and fringing, while allowing larger apertures versus refractor models
- Aluminum and SiO2 optical coatings on the primary parabolic mirror maximize light transmission through the light path to ensure bright and crisp views
- Single-speed 2" rack-and-pinion focuser allows the use of larger eyepieces and accessories
- Optical tube assembly (OTA) only; mount and tripod required for proper use
- Vixen-style dovetail plate is compatible with a wide variety of mounts
- OTA weight: 18.4 pounds
- 1.25" diameter nosepiece accepts most astronomical filters
- 9mm eyepiece produces a high 111x power
- 26mm eyepiece yields a low 38x magnification
- Use with included reducer to fit into the larger 2" drawtube holder
- Low 8x power ensures a wide field of view for faster alignment and easier star-hopping navigation
- Large 50mm aperture produces bright images to more easily find alignment stars
- Crosshair reticle enables precision centering, requiring less fine-tuning in eyepiece
- Includes mounting bracket