The EF-mount Canon Cinema EOS C300 Mark II Camcorder Body with Touch Focus Kit features a Super 35mm CMOS sensor which provides faster and more accurate autofocusing. Canon's Log 3 Gamma supports 14 stops of dynamic range.
The EF lens mount on the EOS C300 offers compatibility not only with Canon's existing broad range of DSLR lenses but also with their line of EF-mount CN-E cinema prime and zoom lenses. The Super 35mm sensor is paired with the Canon DIGIC DV 5 image processor, which uses an innovative method of breaking out red, green, and blue data to enable color performance on a level that would otherwise require three separate chips. The camera records up to DCI 4K resolution video to CFast 2.0 cards. For more flexibility to adjust your image during post-production, the camera also offers Canon's Log gamma mode, which results in excellent tonal reproduction in the highlight and low-light regions of an image, and an expanded dynamic range.
In terms of connections, the camcorder features two 3G-SDI outputs, timecode I/O, and genlock input BNCs. The included Touch Focus Kit provides a 4" LCD touchscreen monitor that features tap focusing (with compatible lenses), as well as shoe mount adapters and a Manfrotto 492LCD micro ball head mount. The shoe-mountable microphone adapter features a mic holder and supports two XLR inputs with 48V phantom power and a 3.5mm stereo mini plug.
The body has a modular design that can either be stripped down completely or be built up using the included handle, LCD unit, microphone adapter, grip, and thumb rest.
- Canon Log 3, which achieves a dynamic range of 1600% with 14 stops of dynamic range, and can be ideal for middle-end users that have a limited budget for post-production and need a quick turnaround.
- A reduction in the dark noise level when shooting in Canon Log 2 mode. Streaking and black sunspots have been reduced in all modes by changing the CMOS sensor control.
- ACES 1.0 output via SDI/HDMI.
- Magnify function during REC.
- Additional lens functionality is now available with the Cine-Servo 50 to 1000mm, Cine-Servo 17 to 120mm, Compact-Servo 18 to 80mm, and Dual-Pixel Focus Guide added to the EF mount Canon Cinema prime lenses. Please note that you may need to also upgrade the firmware in your lens to access this functionality.
Dual-Pixel CMOS AF Technology
Dual-Pixel CMOS AF technology features a CMOS sensor consisting of an array of pixels, each featuring two separate photodiodes. By continuously comparing their outputs during AF mode, phase-difference autofocus helps ensure non-blurred images and smooth focus transitions even when the talent or camera is moving. The new feature places a high priority on maintaining sharp focus while providing a natural, smooth autofocus movement with select Canon EF lenses—including newer-generation STM lenses—which offer even smoother and quieter operation.