The N90-DRC/500 Mono Compressor and Gate from Phoenix Audio features a 100% Class-A circuit built around an open sounding transformerless input stage and a DSOP-2 output amplifier with a custom-wound DB694 output transformer. This 500-series module can be used when paired with an API rack (sold separately) to deliver mellow, transparent compression and subtle, musical gating for audio applications.
With ratios ranging from 2:1 to 8:1, the N90 is designed for tasteful, delicate compression. Driving more signal into the N90 can produce a wide range of tones from the DSOP-2 output stage—from crystal clean to warm, pure Class-A analog saturation. It is never a fussy or sensitive task to dial in your desired sound.
Furthermore, the N90's gate is suitable for everything from standard noise gating to more subtle control of ambience levels relative to the main signal. There is an external key input, allowing you to trigger the gate with an external signal. Up to eight N90-DRC/500s can be linked together, allowing the compressor and gate functions to be controlled from just one of the units. From the subtlest gain control to lush Class-A artifacts, the N90-DRC/500 is a versatile dynamic control unit.
- Threshold: from +10 to -30, this is an intuitive and predictable threshold setting that never grabs your signal suddenly
- Ratio: from 1.5:1 up to 8:1, the ratios are mellow and widely variable
- Release: either gain-dependent auto setting or variable release from ultra-fast 0.1 sec up to 3 sec
- Fast: toggles the attack time from normal (15ms) to fast (1ms)
- Make-Up Gain: up to +15 dB of make-up gain is available (post-gate)
- Threshold: from +10 to -40
- Key: switches between input signal and an external "key" signal to trigger the gate detector
- Release: from 0.1 seconds to 2 seconds with unique hold-then-fade topology
- 24V built PSU so you can feel the sound of the 'true' unit and not be limited by the limitations of running at 16V, which is the standard Lunchbox voltage.