This 6.6 x 6.6" 85 Linear Ultra Polarizer Filter from Tiffen is a light-balancing filter with a linear polarizer effect. It is uniform in color, and with a mired shift value of +112 it can be applied to purposely create a warm cast over an entire image. This effect can be obtained under daylight when this filter is used on a film camera system with daylight film installed or on a digital camera system with its daylight white balance setting selected. The Tiffen 6.6 x 6.6" 85 Linear Ultra Polarizer Filter is also useful for balancing light sources with a color temperature of 5500K for type A tungsten film, which is designed to accurately reproduce colors under 3400K light sources.
Simultaneously, this filter can help to reduce reflections and glare by filtering out light that has become polarized due to reflection from a non-metallic surface.The light from the sun naturally becomes partially polarized due to reflecting off electrons in air molecules, causing the light to scatter into what appears as haze. A polarizing filter arranges and filters this directionally polarized light perpendicularly to the reflected light, allowing for the absorption of much of this light. This results in a noticeable reduction of glare and reflections from non-metallic surfaces and an increase in the saturation of skies and foliage.
A linear polarizer differs from a circular polarizer in that it does not contain an additional quarter wave plane. The addition of a quarter wave plane is to circularly polarize linearly polarized light for the use of auto focus and exposure functions. Due to how the light is broken down and filtered with a linear polarizer, in-camera auto focus and exposure accuracy become skewed during use. When the light becomes circularly polarized, it permits the use of these functions.
This filter is recommended when not using in-camera exposure metering or autofocus. It is made from optical glass and measures 4mm thick. A padded pouch is also included with the filter.
When used, the Tiffen 6.6 x 6.6" 85 Linear Ultra Polarizer Filter's 0.3 density darkens the entire image by 1 stop. This reduction in exposure can be compensated for by adjusting either the aperture setting of the lens it is placed on or the shutter speed of the camera being used.
- Light-balancing filter with a linear polarizer effect
- Compatible with filter holders that can accommodate 6.6 x 6.6" filters that are 4mm thick
- Can add a warming cast to an entire image under daylight when used on a film camera system with daylight film installed, or on a digital camera system with its daylight white balance setting selected
- Provides a mired shift value of +112
- Reduces 5500K color temperature to 3400K
- Allows type A tungsten film to accurately reproduce colors under 5500K light sources
- Constructed from optical glass for clarity
- Polarizing filter effect arranges and filters directionally polarized light perpendicularly to the reflected light, allowing for the absorption of much of the light
- Clears up haze in distant landscapes
- Strongest polarization effect when used at a 90° angle from the sun
- Recommended when not using in-camera exposure metering or autofocus
- 0.3 density filter with 2x filter factor darkens the image by 1 stop
- Filter density can be compensated for by adjusting lens aperture or camera shutter speed
- Made using ColorCore technology, a process that involves laminating the filter substrate between two pieces of optical glass and grinding flat to a tolerance of 1/10,000th of an inch
- Padded filter pouch included for storage and transport