Complementing the lens itself, the FUJIFILM XF 18mm f/2 R Lens with UV Filter Kit from B&H bundles the wide-angle prime with a 52mm UV filter.
Distinguished by its slender form factor, the FUJIFILM XF 18mm f/2 R is a wide-angle 27mm-equivalent prime featuring a bright f/2 maximum aperture. The compact size and general wide field of view make this lens well-suited to everyday shooting, as well as for landscapes and street photography. The optical design incorporates a pair of aspherical elements, which reduce distortion and spherical aberrations in order to realize greater sharpness and accurate rendering. A Super EBC coating is also featured, which reduces flare and ghosting for improved contrast and color accuracy.
This Sunpak 52mm Filter Kit includes a 52mm UV Filter and a 52mm Circular Polarizer Filter. Each filter in this kit fits a lens with 52mm front filter threads and can provide one of two enhancements to your imagery. Additionally, these filters are constructed from optical glass within an aluminum-alloy frame, which protect the front element of a lens from scratches, bumps, or impacts. A filter case that can accommodate both filters is included for storage and transport.
The Sunpak 52mm UV Filter is a general use, clear filter designed to absorb ultraviolet light and reduce the bluish cast of daylight. Aside from the reduction of unwanted blue casts, no additional coloration or contrast is created, and adjustments to exposure are not required while using this filter.
This UV filter is also useful as a general protective filter to leave on lenses at all times. Such filters help to reduce dust and moisture from reaching your front lens element and provide additional protection in case of drops or situations where scratching could occur.
The Sunpak 52mm Circular Polarizer Filter helps to reduce reflections and glare by filtering out light that has become polarized due to reflection from a non-metallic surface. The light from the sun naturally becomes partially polarized due to reflecting off electrons in air molecules, causing the light to scatter into what appears as haze. A polarizing filter arranges, and filters, this directionally polarized light perpendicularly to the reflected light, allowing for the absorption of much of this light. This results in a noticeable reduction of glare and reflections from non-metallic surfaces and an increase in the saturation of skies and foliage.
A circular polarizer only differs from a linear polarizer in that it contains a quarter wave plane in addition to the linear polarizing filter. The addition of this quarter wave plane is to circularly polarize the linearly polarized light for the use of auto focus and exposure functions. Due to how the light is broken down and filtered with a linear polarizer, auto focus and exposure accuracy become skewed during use. When the light becomes circularly polarized, it permits the use of these functions.
The Sunpak 52mm UV Filter and Sunpak 52mm Circular Polarizer Filter are both non-coated and are constructed from optical glass for clarity and color fidelity. Additionally, they each feature an aluminum-alloy filter ring for durability while remaining lightweight.
- Absorbs UV light and reduces bluish cast of daylight
- Does not require adjustments to exposure while in use
- Creates no additional coloration or contrast
- General protection filter reduces dust, moisture, and scratches from reaching lens elements
- Helps to reduce reflections and glare by filtering out light that has become polarized due to reflection from a non-metallic surface
- Polarizing filters arrange, and filter, directionally polarized light perpendicularly to the reflected light, allowing for the absorption of much of the light
- Clears up haze in distant landscapes and provides more saturated, vivid colors
- Strongest effect when used at a 90° angle from the sun
- Circular polarizers are ideal for use with digital cameras and autofocus lenses where a linear polarizer will often disrupt auto exposure and focus features
- 2x filter factor reduces exposure by 1 stop