Bundled together by B&H for your convenience the Slate Digital VRS8 8-Channel Audio Interface Bundle combines a high-quality eight-channel interface with an ML-1 Modeling Microphone. The USB audio interface offers a flat, linear response across the preamps, all the better to utilize Slate's microphone modeling technology. The interface also boasts a 124 dB dynamic range and a low latency of 0.7 ms.
The ML-1 is a cardioid condenser microphone, and it models famous large diaphragm condenser mics and dynamic microphones. It offers a 20 Hz to 20 kHz frequency response with minimal distortion and is highly receptive to the included modeling software.
With this interface and this microphone, you can recreate the sound and feel of many prized vintage capsules.
Slate Digital VRS8 8-Channel Interface with Included Software
The Slate Digital VRS8 is an 8-channel interface designed to provide a flat, linear frequency response, as well as extremely low latencies of 0.7 ms at 96 kHz. It utilizes a satellite-grade clocking system and AKM AK5578 converter chips, ensuring a stable audio performance and a dynamic range of 124 dB. Two discrete headphone amplifiers are on hand for pristine private monitoring, and two front-facing 1/4" instrument jacks accept both instrument and line-level signals.
This interface is designed to be paired with separately available Slate Digital microphones to deliver what slate calls the VRS, or Virtual Recording Studio. Using this preamp, the aforementioned microphones, and included software, the VRS aims to put heretofore cost-prohibitive, holy-grail mic/pre combinations at your fingertips, with each element in the chain contributing to that goal.
Slate Digital is a company well-regarded for its modeling software, and the VRS8 offers almost all of this software, some of it on perpetual basis—as is the case with the Virtual preamp collection—and the rest of it via annual licenses.
In fact, a complimentary one-year subscription to the Slate Everything Bundle is included with your purchase. This package of software comprises a continuously updated suite of emulations and plug-ins, including venerable compressors, equalizers, tube-circuit modules, tape machines, consoles, mastering processors, and more. Everything from vintage and modern buttons from the 76s are represented, as are channel strips from venerated boards, and a few proprietary designs such as an Air EQ by way of Eiosis and a harmonic enhancer by way of the Revival.
Using the VRS8, an ML-1 Microphone, and the Everything Bundle, you can achieve the sound of a 67 through a variety of authentic-sounding gear, such as a British channel strip, a 73-style preamp, a 76-style compressor, a de-esser, and a tape machine emulation—all in real time.
This software is compatible with Mac and Windows platforms, operating in AU, VST and AAX formats. On Mac computers, the interface connects via Thunderbolt. A PCIe card is provided for use with Windows machines and other compatible computing systems.
8 Linear Preamps
XTC Audio Clock
Discrete Headphone Amplifiers
Cross Platform Low-Latency Performance
Native MIDI I/O
Included Preamp Models
- FG-73: The FG-73 preamp module is modeled after a famous, discrete solid-state preamp made in Britain and used on countless recordings from the 70s onwards. It has a bold, present, and warm sound that works great on any audio source, even full mixes.
- FG-76: The FG-76 preamp module is modeled after a vintage German tube preamp that has been used on many classic recordings. It has a thick, colorful tone that can help enliven tracks and mixes. The bottom-end saturates in a musical way, making it a great module for bass guitar.
- Audified U73b
- Classic Tubes 1
- Classic Tubes 2
- Classic Tubes 3
- Virtual Tube Collection
- Virtual Console Collection
- Virtual Preamp Collection
- FG-116 FET Blue Series
- Custom Series
- Air & Earth Modules
- Mix Bundle (FG-N, FG-S, FG-401, FG-116)
- The Monster
- Virtual Buss Compressors
- Virtual Tape Machine
- FG-X Mastering Processor
Slate Digital ML-1 VMS Large-Diaphragm Modeling Microphone (Glossy Black)
Styled in a glossy black finish, the Slate Digital ML-1 is a large-diaphragm condenser microphone that is meant to be used with the VMS (Virtual Microphone System) or the VRS (Virtual Recording Studio). The microphone captures a linear frequency response between 20 Hz to 20 kHz, doing so with minimal distortion. In this way, it can serve as the unpainted canvas on which you'd apply the digital color of Slate's microphone emulations. Indeed, paired with the VRS or VMS, the microphone aims to put heretofore cost-prohibitive, holy-grail mic/pre combinations at your fingertips.
Included with the ML-1 is a bundle of emulations of prized microphones often used on vocals. Models of the U47, U67, SM7, 251, and other famous microphones are included with your purchase. For preamps, Slate offers software versions of the classic British 73 preamp, and the German 76.
Here, the microphone is offered a la carte. It is recommended you pair the ML-1 with Slate's complementary preamps or interfaces, so that the emulations work to the best of their ability. If you prefer, you can use the mic with your existing preamp or interface, but the results may not be the same.
Mac and Windows Compatible
Overview of Mic Models Included
- FG-47: This mic model recreates a venerated vintage tube microphone with a thick, full-bodied low end, rich and present midrange, and a smooth top end. This mic works well on lead vocals, kick drums, drum kits overall, guitars, horns, and strings.
- FG-M7: A combination of a dynamic microphone made famous by Michael Jackson and the tube stage of a classic 47, this model offers a punchy, crisp sound with a cutting midrange.
- FG-800: This is a recreation of a popular modern tube microphone, used often on hip hop and pop vocals. It’s quite airy and bright, though the bottom-end is warm, resulting in a timbre that sounds polished right from the source. In addition to vocals, this model shines on acoustic guitars and drum overheads.
- FG-251: This model recreates a well-regarded vintage tube microphone with a crisp, yet warm sound. In addition to vocals, try this model on electric guitars, acoustic guitars, drums, and more.
- FG-800M: Slightly darker and fatter than the FG-800, this model captures the feeling of an older model with a Japanese tube stage. Use this when you like the sound of the FG-800, but want to mitigate brightness and sibilance.
- FG-67: This model emulates a classic 67 microphone, giving you the dark, bold, and thick sound that mic often delivers. Vocals, pianos, and horns can all benefit from the FG-67, or you can use it as your room mic model for drum kits.
- FG-269: This emulation captures a mic with the same circuit as the 67, but with a different tube stage. The result is an open and clear sound in the same German style of the 67 and 47 models.
- FG-12: Taking its cues from a classic Austrian microphone, this model delivers both a rich and smooth sound.
- FG-73: The FG-73 preamp module is modeled after one of the most famous discrete solid-state preamps in the industry, made in Britain and used on countless recordings. It has a bold, present, and warm sound that works great on any audio source, including full mixes.
- FG-76: The FG-76 preamp module is modeled after a vintage German tube preamp that has been used on many classic recordings. It has a thick and colorful tone that can make tracks and mixes sound more lively. The bottom end saturates in a musical way, making it a great module for bass guitar and kick drum tracks.