By B&H Photo's
Professional Features to Speed Up Your Audio Workflow
The Sony UWP-D21 is a dependable camera-mount wireless lavalier microphone system that delivers uncompromising audio quality while still being easy to use and fast to set up with no menu diving. It is made with simplicity in mind for DIY cameramen, videographers, vloggers, and journalists working in the field without a crew. The system is packed with professional features, including NFC Sync and Auto-Gain functions, which handle time-consuming frequency setup and mic-level adjustments for you, so you're ready to shoot within seconds. Sony shooters can take advantage of the SMAD-P5 digital MI Shoe adapter (available separately), which provides a direct, clean digital audio connection to select cameras equipped with a digital Multi Interface Shoe. With the UWP-D21, you can focus on the other critical elements competing for your attention during a shoot and confidently record crisp, clear speech, or dialog for projects ranging from documentaries to wedding videos, YouTube content, corporate spots, and hands-free interviews.
NFC Automatic Channel-Setting Mode
Press and hold the NFC/Sync button, and the receiver scans for the cleanest RF channel. Simply hold the transmitter next to the receiver; it automatically syncs up and you’re good to go. Unlike purely digital systems, the UWP-D21 allows you to send a single mic to multiple cameras for broadcast applications. Fast NFC communication makes setup for multiple receivers a breeze
Auto-Gain Mode to Prevent Mic Distortion
Auto-Gain mode saves you the time and aggravation of setting and managing the input level on the transmitter. It uses a limiter to help prevent distortion, great when the loudness of the presenter’s voice is unknown. The +15 dB Gain Volume-Boost mode boosts the mic gain by 15 dB to compensate for situations when the mic is not close enough to the presenter’s mouth and the audio level is insufficient. Manual input-level setting is also available.
High-Visibility OLED Display for Indoor/Outdoor Use
Both transmitter and receiver feature an easy-to-read OLED display. The quick response of the display lets you see the operating conditions clearly and accurately in real time, even in bright sunlight.
Channel Memory Function
The channel memory function lets you quickly switch between the groom's lav mic and the wedding guest's interview mic with the press of a button. It also allows for a fast change between mics in corporate presentations or quickly swapping to a back-up mic.
Reliable Reception with True Diversity
To achieve stable audio, the UWP-D receiver employs true-diversity technology with two antennas and two independent receiver sections within the unit. Both RF signals are compared and the stronger signal is automatically selected for output—reducing dropouts to a minimum. The angle of the two antennas can also be adjusted, which helps to further prevent signal dropouts. The system offers a 72 MHz bandwidth with 2772 UHF frequencies.
High-Quality Sound with Digital Audio Processing
Unlike traditional analog wireless systems, The UWP-D supplements its proven analog UHF transmission technology with a proprietary digital audio processing. Two levels of DSP filtering help remove the artifacts caused by occupancy sensors used in modern "green" buildings to turn off lights when people leave a room. Transient sounds and consonants are reproduced with greater accuracy, resulting in clear, natural sound that’s intelligible and nuanced. The ECM-V1BMP lavalier mic is optimized for capturing clear and intelligible speech. This omnidirectional mic picks up sound from every direction, allowing for a variety of placement options and freedom of movement.
A Compact Build, Ready for the Camera
The UWP-D21 features a robust, all-metal construction well suited for tough operating conditions. The compact bodypack transmitter is lightweight and comfortable for the talent to wear. A locking, 3.5mm BMP-type microphone input connector ensures that your lav doesn’t detach at a critical moment. Using the included shoe mount adapter, the receiver easily mounts on your camera, while adding minimal weight to your rig. Cables are included to connect to cameras equipped with either a 3.5mm or an XLR audio input.
Direct Digital Audio via SMAD-P5 MI Shoe Adapter
- The SMAD-P5 digital MI Shoe adapter allows you to integrate the receiver with XDCAM camcorders and select Sony cameras equipped with a digital Multi Interface Shoe.
- This setup provides a direct digital connection, skipping the receiver’s D/A and camera’s A/D converters for superior audio quality and low noise.
- Audio information such as RF level meter, audio-mute status, and low-battery alert for the transmitters is displayed on the camera's viewfinder.
- This cable-free configuration allows for fast setup in the field.
- Compatible models include the a7R IV mirrorless camera, the PXW-Z280 and PXW-Z190 XDCAM camcorders, and more.
Multiple Powering Options
- Two AA batteries (alkaline or NiMH rechargeable type) power the transmitter for up to 8 hours and the receiver for up to 6 hours.
- A battery count-up timer allows for accurate reading of battery running time to minute accuracy.
- >The transmitter and receiver can also be powered through their USB ports, allowing them to run for numerous hours on a USB power pack or indefinitely, if you have access to AC.
- With the SMAD-P5 Digital MI Shoe adapter, the receiver can get power directly from Sony cameras equipped with an MI Shoe.
- Cartridge-type battery cases allow for quick battery replacement on set.
Headphone Monitoring for Location Sound
If your camera doesn’t have a headphone jack, Phone mode lets you monitor your sound via the receiver’s headphone output while recording. When the receiver is used as a personal monitoring device by director or crew on set, Monitor mode lets you adjust the headphone volume on the fly with the +/- buttons.
- The RF output level on the transmitter has two settings: the 5mW option allows you to conserve battery life, while the 30mW setting gives you more power to overcome interference, great in busy RF environments.
- Switchable Mic/Line input level, so you can set the correct gain level for your sound source.
- Low-cut filter reduces noise caused by wind or machinery—Off / Low (100 Hz) / Mid (150 Hz) / High (200 Hz).
- The receiver provides a variable output level control of ±12 dB, useful when working with cameras without manual input level control.
- Simple menus make navigation easy. Advanced menus for in-depth control are also available.
- The variable mute button on the transmitter can be programmed for latched or momentary muting. It can also be used as a momentary talk button.
- You can operate up to 16 mics in one location.
Configure Your System to Do More
With this set, you can add the UTX-M40 handheld wireless mic with a cardioid capsule, ideal in situations where you don't have time to position a lavalier mic or you need to quickly pass the mic between several people. Adding the UTX-P40 plug-on transmitter with 48V phantom allows you to connect any handheld microphone of your choice for man-on-the-street-style interviews or a shotgun mic for wireless booming. For clearer speech in noisy environments, you can substitute the included lav mic with an ECM-322BMP headset mic.
Compatibility with Other Sony Wireless Systems
The UWP-D transmitter can be used with a UWP Series or WL-800 Series receiver. A UWP Series or WL-800 Series transmitter can be used with a UWP-D receiver.