Peak Performance Super-Telephoto
Impressive reach and capable speed, the Sony FE 600mm f/4 GM OSS is a refined super-telephoto characterized by its G Master optics, durable construction, and surprisingly lightweight design for increased shooting versatility. As a super-telephoto prime, this lens is at home with sports and wildlife subjects, and fast AF performance, apt OSS, and intuitive handling further round out the professional feature-set.
Innovative Optical Design
- As part of Sony's esteemed G Master series, this lens is designed to achieve a balance of impressive resolution and sharpness along with distinctive and pleasing bokeh.
- Bright f/4 maximum aperture enables working in difficult lighting conditions and also provides extremely shallow depth of field for isolating subjects from busy backgrounds.
- Three fluorite elements and two extra-low dispersion element minimize axial and lateral chromatic aberrations, as well as color fringing, for high clarity and color accuracy.
- Nano AR coating has been applied to interior lens surfaces to suppress reflections that cause flare and ghosting.
- G Master optical design includes one large-diameter XA (Extreme Aspherical) element to reduce spherical aberrations and achieve for high sharpness, and this design, along with a rounded 11-blade diaphragm, also contributes to a pleasing bokeh quality.
Fast Focusing and Reliable OSS
- XD (Extreme Dynamic) Linear Motor System quietly and quickly focuses on fast-moving subjects while shooting at high speeds.
- High-precision XD motor system is also complemented by updated AF algorithms for improved responsiveness and quieter operation, further benefitting sports and wildlife applications.
- Power Focus functionality for smooth focus during video recording.
- Full-time DMF supports manually adjusting focus simply by turning the focusing ring, regardless of the focusing mode, and Linear Response MF provides a natural and responsive focus feeling for more precise manual control.
- Focus range limiter switch and preset focus functions increase focusing efficiency either within a certain constrained range or immediately to a specified focusing point.
- Optical SteadyShot image stabilization compensates for the effects of camera shake to better enable making sharp shots when working handheld.
- When used on a camera body featuring in-body image stabilization, 5-axis stabilization is available for more robust support.
- Three difference stabilization modes can be used depending on the shooting situation: Mode 1 for general shooting, Mode 2 for panning shooting, and Mode 3 prioritizes accurate framing when photographing and tracking fast and erratically moving subjects.
Professional Durability and Intuitive Handling
- Weather-sealed construction to protect against dust, dirt, and moisture.
- Fluorine-coated front element resists dirt and fingerprints and is also easier to clean.
- Weighing just 6.7 lb, this lens is notably portable for a 600mm f/4 super-telephoto. The weight of the lens is also distributed toward the back, where it would sit over a monopod, making tracking subjects and panning easier.
- In addition to the weight-saving use of fluorite elements in the optical design, the external barrel design makes extensive use of magnesium alloy to contribute to the lightweight-yet-durable construction.
- Increased mount strength for ensured rigidity that will withstand professional use.
- Function ring near the front of the lens can be set to control a preset focus position or can be assigned to power focus or other selectable features via an in-camera menu.
- Four separate focus hold buttons can be customized to adjust or activate a variety of settings, such as Eye AF.
- The rear of the lens features a drop-in filter slot that accepts 40.5mm round filters.
- Rotating tripod collar features ball bearings for smooth movements along with detents at each 90° position for intuitive handling. These clicks can also be deactivated.
- As an additional weight-saving element, the included lens hood is made from carbon fiber.
- Compatible with optional FE 1.4x and 2.0x teleconverters.