Designed to deliver research-grade performance for advanced amateur astronomers, the Meade Instruments LX850-ACF UHTC 14" f/8 Catadioptric GoTo EQ Telescope with StarLock utilizes their Advanced Coma-Free (ACF) catadioptric light path to reduce color fringing and off-axis comas, enabling it to clearly resolve deep-sky objects and easily split binary stars with tack-sharp clarity. Along with the optical tube, you get a motorized German equatorial mount that employs DC servo stepper motors on both axes to precisely track objects with virtually no vibrations, the AutoStar II hand computer to control the system, a heavy-duty stainless steel tripod with oversized 3" legs provide a solid observational platform, and an accessory kit specifically assembled for the 14" LX850.
Meade LX850-ACF UHTC 14" f/8 Catadioptric Telescope (OTA Only)
With a large oversized primary mirror, yet still portable enough to travel, the Meade Instruments LX850-ACF UHTC 14" f/8 Catadioptric Telescope utilizes their Advanced Coma-Free (ACF) catadioptric light path to reduce color fringing and off-axis comas, enabling it to clearly resolve deep-sky objects and easily split binary stars with tack-sharp clarity. Complementing the ACF system is their Ultra-High Transmission Coatings (UHTC) system that improves light transmission through the entire light path across the whole visible spectrum. A combination of high-transmittance lens coatings and highly reflective mirror coatings boost image brightness, while minimizing external light loss and internal diffraction.
Meade built this series for users who have a reliable mount and support system with all their favorite eyepieces and accessories, so this LX-850 is offered here as just the optical tube assembly (OTA)—other required accessories such as visual backs, finders, eyepieces, and diagonals are also not included. Meade only includes a large Losmandy-style dovetail plate, with sturdy and stable radius blocks for added strength, to make it easier to install on a mount out of the box, and a factory-installed dovetail finder saddle that will accept most Meade finder brackets.
Optical Tube Assembly
- Large 14" (356mm) aperture allows for detailed lunar and planetary viewing with the ability to resolve deep-sky objects
- Moderate f/8 focal ratio makes it a competent optic for astrophotography and imaging
- Long 2845mm focal length, despite compact form factor, provides a high magnification potential
- Advanced Coma-Free catadioptric design
- Ultra-High Transmission Coatings (UHTC) system
- Resolution: 0.326 arcsec, Dawes' Limit
- 7:1 dual-speed internal Crayford focuser enables fast coarse and precise fine focusing with zero backlash—especially useful for viewing deep-sky objects and splitting binary stars or clusters
- Standard Schmidt-Cassegrain visual back threads accept most screw-on backs and accessories
- Factory-installed finderscope dovetail saddle accepts compatible finders
- Reduces off-axis comas and astigmatism for sharper images
- Eliminates diffraction spikes for better resolution
- Aplanatic design produces flat, distortion-free images across the field of view—especially at the edges
- All corrector plate and mirror surfaces are fully multi-coated
- Engineered to optimize visual, photographic, and CCD imaging
- Improve light transmission across the entire visible spectrum through the optical path
- Corrector plate coatings made up of multiple layers of aluminum oxide (Al2O3), titanium dioxide (TiO2), and magnesium fluoride (MgF2)
- Mirror coatings consist of aluminum with multi-layer coatings of titanium dioxide (TiO2) and silicon dioxide (SiO2)
- Optical tube assembly only—mount and tripod required for proper use
- Large Losmandy-style dovetail plate for use on compatible saddles
- Radius blocks help provide strength and stability to rail
- Weight: 63 pounds
Meade 26 lb Stainless Steel Counterweight for LX850 Telescope
The Meade 26 lb Stainless Steel Counterweight is an extra counterweight for use when adding additional equipment such as cameras or heavy accessories to your Meade LX850 series telescope or mount. The counterweight features stainless steel construction, and is threaded for counterweight shaft on the telescope mount.
Meade Giant Field Tripod
Meade's Giant Field Tripod is a beefy, all-steel support for Meade's 12" and 14" LX200 mounts. Its height is adjustable from 40-50", and it dampens vibrations with great speed thanks to its large 3" segments and center bracing.
Six holes in the leg brace can accept 1.25" eyepieces for handy storage during observing. There's a single threaded rod with a big knob, and this holds the scope on the tripod and locks the legs simultaneously as you tighten it.
As the tripod originally supplied with Meade's larger LX200 scopes, this is offered here as a replacement for a lost or damaged tripod, but it can also be used upon the 10" Meade scope if you just wish to upgrade.