Continuing to take medium format out of the studio, the Hasselblad X1D II 50C is a sleek and exceptionally capable mirrorless camera, characterized by its thoughtful design and powerful imaging capabilities. This second-generation X System camera shows a revised and enhanced feature-set designed to quicken performance and make overall operation even more intuitive and streamlined. At the core of the X1D II remains the large 43.8 x 32.9mm 50MP CMOS sensor, which yields high-resolution imagery with a wide 14-stop dynamic range, 16-bit color depth, and an ISO 100-25600 sensitivity range. This sensor utilizes Hasselblad's Natural Color Solution, too, which delivers realistic, pleasing color tones for great consistency and smooth tonal transitions. An updated electronic platform also enables a faster 2.7 fps continuous shooting rate as well as a faster startup time, reduced shutter lag and blackout times, and more responsive autofocus performance.
Balancing the imaging capabilities, the X1D II is also distinguished by an updated body with a larger 3.6" 2.36m-dot touchscreen LCD and a 0.87x-magnification 3.39m-dot OLED electronic viewfinder. These work in concert to provide more comfortable and easy viewing means for shooting in a variety of conditions. The X1D II also retains the signature physical design, with an especially deep right-hand grip and smooth aluminum alloy body. The svelte overall form factor is due in part to the leaf shutter design of the XCD lenses, which obviates the need for a camera-based shutter system and affords full flash sync throughout the shutter speed range up to 1/2000 sec. Additionally, built-in Wi-Fi permits wireless remote control and file transferring via Phocus Mobile 2 and an integrated GPS module enables recording location data for geotagging.
Working with the spectacular image quality of the 50MP CMOS sensor, the Hasselblad Natural Color Solution is designed to deliver images with the most natural color without needing to delve into a variety of presets. This system is also capable of creating imagery with exceptionally smooth tonal transitions that are reminiscent of analog film capture, which is thanks in part to the X1D II's 16-bit color depth.
- Large 3.6" 2.36m-dot (1024 x 768) rear LCD features a touchscreen design for intuitive control, menu navigation, and playback. The updated screen also has a fast 60 fps refresh rate for more fluid playback and the screen also supports autofocus point drag and drop placement and autofocus point size changes with pinch/spread finger movement.
- Enhanced 3.69m-dot (1280 x 960) OLED electronic viewfinder features a high 0.87x magnification for bright and clear eye-level viewing. The increased resolution benefits manual focus accuracy and the menu system can also be viewed through the EVF for more intuitive adjustment when working in bright conditions.
- Dual SD memory card slots both support the UHS-II protocol for faster read/write speeds.
- Built-in Wi-Fi permits wireless sharing of files as well as remote camera control. Additionally, Phocus Mobile 2 allows for a rich tethered shooting experience from an iPad Pro or iPad Air (2019).
- USB 3.0 Type-C connector can be used for file transfer, tethered shooting from an iPad, or for in-camera battery charging via a computer, charger, or power bank.
- Integrated GPS module can be used for recording location details to image files for geotagging applications.
- Distinctly ergonomic and stylish body design uses a milled aluminum alloy chassis with a clean surface finish and minimal number of buttons and dials for a more streamlined user interface. Additionally, due to the inclusion leaf shutters within the lenses, the overall body's design can be significantly reduced for a more compact and lightweight form factor.
- Updated electronic platform realizes faster overall performance, including a 46% faster startup time, reduced shutter lag and blackout times, as well as more responsive autofocus compared to the first generation X1D.
- Optimized for use with XCD series of lenses, which offer an integrated central shutter system, capable of sync speeds up to 1/2000 sec.
- Phocus Mobile 2, available for iPad Pro and iPad Air (2019), permits importing, editing, and rating of raw images as well as importing and rating full-resolution JPEG images directly on a tablet. Additionally, Phocus Mobile 2 supports full-resolution image export, tethered shooting, and direct camera control.
- Conventional computer-based tethered shooting is supported via the desktop version of Phocus.