Providing a respectable entryway to the Leica M System, the M-E (Typ 240) is a well-rounded digital camera offering the classic rangefinder shooting experience along with an intuitive and minimalist camera design. Featuring a full-frame 24MP CMOS sensor and Maestro image processor, the M-E realizes rich image quality with low noise levels and smooth color and tonal gradations. The sensor and processor combine to avail a sensitivity range from ISO 200-6400, Full HD 1080p movie recording, and 3 fps continuous shooting along with a 2GB internal buffer. Unique among digital cameras, the M-E maintains Leica's preference for a rangefinder design and incorporates a 0.68x optical viewfinder with split and superimposed manual focusing, and automatic parallax correction. Conversely, the camera also features a 3.0" 920k-dot LCD with Gorilla Glass covering to maintain the overall durability of the magnesium alloy and brass body. The rugged metal body also integrates rubber seals throughout its design to render it dust- and weather-resistant for use in trying conditions. Also distinguishing the M-E from the rest of the M System is a unique anthracite gray paint finish along with a genuine black leather wrap.
In addition to stills, Full HD 1080p and HD 720p video recording is supported, in both 24 and 25 fps frame rates. VGA 480p recording at 30 fps is supported, too. A monaural microphone is incorporated into the body's design, features manual audio level control during recording, and an optional external microphone port is available for greater audio recording capabilities.
The rangefinder mechanism displays split or superimposed bright field images within the center of the viewfinder to benefit accurate manual focusing control. The effective rangefinder metering basis is 47.1mm (mechanical metering basis 69.25mm x viewfinder magnification of 0.68x).
- Rear 3.0" 920k-dot LCD provides a bright, clear means for image playback as well as live view shooting.
- Rear LCD monitor has a Corning Gorilla Glass cover to protect it against scratching and impacts.
- Built-in level gauge aids in achieving perfectly level horizons.
- Top and bottom plates are machined from solid blocks of brass and the chassis is built from magnesium alloy for a truly durable, hard-wearing physical construction.
- Reminiscent of classic Leica designs, the M-E features an anthracite gray paint finish, which is accentuated by a genuine black cowhide leather wrap.
- Rubber seals are used to prevent the entrance of light rain and dust to enable working in inclement conditions.
- Designed to accept all M-mount lenses, Leica R-mount lenses are also compatible through the use of an optional R to M adapter.
- Compatible with the optional EVF-2 accessory electronic viewfinder for manually focusing adapted lenses.