Intended for guitarists, the BOSS OD-200 is a drive and distortion pedal offering many familiar BOSS tones in a relatively compact footprint. The pedal offers 12 different types of distortion from overdrive to metal tones to contoured drive. You can control these effects with a three-knob tone stack, level, and drive knobs. You'll also note a Parameter knob, whose function changes depending on the effect you select.
In addition to the 12 distortions, there are 15 switchable boost types. You can place the effect in parallel or in series. With series, you can fashion stacked drives, complete with post-gain level controls. In parallel, you can achieve side-by-side blends, which can result in eccentric tones.
The effects provided herein are achieved by means of a 96 kHz, 32-bit signal path to achieve a high-quality sound in every instance. The bypass path is buffered to preserve your tone, even across long cable runs. There are four memory slots provided to save combinations of parameters and recall them when you desire.
A control/expression input allows you to continuously control parameters using a separately available expression pedal. It also works as a control input for external switches. MIDI connectivity is possible via two 3.5mm jacks for the input and output.
The pedal can be powered by three supplied AA batteries. Alternatively, you can purchase a separately available power supply.
Key Features at a Glance
- Hybrid design with analog and digital circuitry for a huge range of drive tones
- 12 primary drive modes plus 15 boost types with independent pre/post gain controls
- Selectable series or parallel boost structures for gain shaping
- Advanced gate section for eliminating noise and tightening high-gain tones
- 32-bit AD/DA, 32-bit floating point processing, and 96 kHz sampling rate
- Real-time panel setting and four memories for storing favorite sounds
- Panel Lock function disables controls to prevent unwanted changes
- Customizable multifunction footswitches for bypass, boost, memory selection, and more
- Support for expanded control via external footswitches, an expression pedal, or MIDI
- Full MIDI I/O provided with mini TRS jacks (BMIDI-5-35 adaptor cable available separately)
- Micro-USB jack for firmware updates
- Runs on PSA-series AC adapter or three AA-size batteries