For independent filmmakers, field recordists, and Ambisonic enthusiasts who need pristine audio capture of up to four microphones, the Sound Devices MixPre-6 II multitrack field recorder is an ideal tool. Record up to six tracks of external sources (four channels via XLR-1/4" combo jacks and two channels via a 3.5mm mini jack)—as well as a stereo mix—at sample rates and resolutions of up to 192 kHz / 32-bit, all while monitoring audio in headphones. If you choose to use the MixPre-6 II as your studio interface, you'll be able to achieve sample rates up to 96 kHz.
The MixPre-6 II offers many upgrades over its predecessor. Chief among these features is the ability to record at 32-bit floating point to an internal SD card. The unit also functions as an audio interface capable of 32-bit floating point streaming over USB to a Mac computer. This makes it nearly impossible for you to clip (distort) audio on the way in. Whether you're recording hot or making use of the unit's astounding 142 dB dynamic range, you'll only be handicapped by the quality of your microphone.
Other improvements include the ability to auto-copy recorded tracks to USB thumb drives, making file transfers a breeze. Lovers of sync will revel in a handy new feature: a full-fledged, built-in timecode generator, accurate to better than 0.2 ppm (0.5 frames in 24 hours). Even when powered off, the MixPre-6 II maintains accurate timecode for up to four hours.
All of this is available in a six-channel package that can be powered from wall chargers, computers, AA batteries, or Sony L-series batteries. Whether you use the device in an advanced or basic capacity, the MixPre-6 II will suit any intimate, field-based production.
The unit can send a complete 32-bit float audio signal over USB when connected to a Mac computer running macOS Catalina (version 10.15 or later).
- Kashmir microphone preamps with 48V phantom power
- Internal timecode generator
- Sample rates up to 192 kHz
- Bit depths up to 32-bit float
- Adjustable limiters
- SD card recording and reading
- Backup to USB drive
- 10 seconds of pre-roll at 48 kHz
- USB control surface support
- Customize with plugins
- Add low cut, high pass, delay, polarity invert, and panning
- Simultaneous recording, mixing, and USB audio streaming
- Trigger record via timecode or HDMI timecode
- Bluetooth for wireless control via Wingman app
- Basic, Advanced, and custom modes
- High-fidelity headphone amplifier