Bundled together by B&H for your convenience, the Sound Devices MixPre-3 II Audio Recorder/Mixer Kit provides the aforementioned recorder/interface as well as a Strut STR-MP3 carry case for transporting the MixPre-3 II in the field.
The recorder sports several upgrades over the previous model, including 32-bit recording and 32-bit USB streaming to ensure audio that's virtually free of distortion as well as a built-in timecode generator. The relatively compact recorder also doubles as a USB interface, giving you Kashmir microphone preamplifiers, timecode compatibility, advanced and basic navigation modes, and more.
The bag, on the other hand, offers a removable rain top, clear vinyl window, padded main compartment, and room for four G3 (or similar) receivers. The case also includes belt loop and harness attachment points as well as an HAR-2 audio harness and support for sleds that house four or eight AA batteries.
For independent filmmakers, field recordists, and podcasters who need pristine audio capture of up to three microphones, the Sound Devices MixPre-3 II multitrack field recorder is an ideal tool. Record up to three tracks of external sources plus a stereo mix at up to 32-bit / 192 kHz while monitoring your audio headphones. If you choose to use the MixPre-3 II as your studio interface, you'll be able to achieve sample rates up to 96 kHz
The MixPre-3 II offers many upgrades over its predecessor. Chief among these features is the ability to record at 32-bit floating point to an internal SD card. The unit also functions as an audio interface capable of 32-bit floating point streaming over USB to a Mac computer. This makes it nearly impossible for you to clip (distort) audio on the way in. Whether you're recording hot or making use of the unit's astounding 142 dB dynamic range, you'll only be handicapped by the quality of your microphone.
Other improvements include the ability to auto-copy recorded tracks to USB thumb drives, making file transfers a breeze. Lovers of sync will revel in a handy new feature: a full-fledged, built-in timecode generator, accurate to better than 0.2 ppm (0.5 frames in 24 hours). Even when powered off, the MixPre-3 II maintains accurate timecode for up to four hours.
All of this is available in a three-channel package that can be powered from wall chargers, computers, AA batteries, or Sony L-series batteries. Whether you use the device in an advanced or basic capacity, the MixPre-3 II will suit any intimate, field-based production.
The unit can send a complete 32-bit float audio signal over USB when connected to a Mac computer running macOS Catalina (version 10.15 or later).
- Kashmir microphone preamps with 48V phantom power
- Internal timecode generator
- Sample rates up to 192 kHz
- Bit depths up to 32-bit float
- Adjustable limiters
- SD card recording and reading
- Backup to USB drive
- 10 seconds of pre-roll at 48 kHz
- USB control surface support
- Customize with plugins
- Add low cut, high pass, delay, polarity invert, and panning
- Simultaneous recording, mixing, and USB audio streaming
- Trigger record via timecode or HDMI timecode
- Bluetooth for wireless control via Wingman app
- Basic, advanced, and custom modes
- High-fidelity headphone amplifier
The STR-MP3 Custom-Fit Field Case for Sound Devices MixPre-3, from Strut, is a small-footprint, lightweight protective case that can be used for easy access to all MixPre-3 features. It has a removable rain top with a clear vinyl window that can also function as a sunshade or double as a travel cover.
In addition to the padded main compartment, the front padded pocket has eight clip-on points for wireless receivers, and is built to hold up to four wireless Sennheiser G3 or similar-sized receivers. This case can accommodate 4 and 8 x AA sleds, all L-Series sled options, plus NP-1, Remote Audio, and various USB-C type power options. The case features belt loop and harness attachment points for most audio harness systems, and includes an HAR-2 audio harness.
- Removable rain top is offered as a clear vinyl window or sunshade, and doubles as a travel cover
- Padded main compartment
- Front padded pocket has eight potential clip-on points for wireless RX or Comtek, and full stow-away cover; it holds up to four Sennheiser G3 or similar-sized receivers inside, and has two clip-on options outside
- Cable boot zippered for easy on-the-run access for XLR or headphone jack adjustment
- Multi-battery flexibility accommodates 4 and 8 x AA sleds, L-Series sled options, plus NP-1, Remote Audio, and various USB-C type power options
- Belt loop and harness attachment points for most audio harness systems
- Includes HAR-2 audio harness
- Made in the USA