Built to be reliable and powerful, the Explore Scientific FirstLight 203mm f/4.9 Reflector Telescope has the capability to resolve deep-sky subjects such as galaxies and wispy nebulae and to split difficult binary stars.
Its large aperture and respectable focal length produce a fast f/4.9 focal ratio to improve resolution and sharpness while reducing exposure times during astrophotography, with the potential for high magnifications. It is outfitted with a sturdy rack-and-pinion focuser, placed at the front of the optical tube assembly (OTA), and adjustable mounting rings that allow users to place their eyepiece in the optimum position for viewing.
Offered here without a mount or tripod, this version of the FL 203mm reflector is ideal for users who already have a reliable support system and are looking to add to their observation arsenal or for those building an a la carte rig. The included cradle ring assembly has a standard Vixen-style dovetail bar that makes it compatible with a wide variety of mounts on the market. Explore Scientific includes several accessories, including a 25mm eyepiece that yields 40x magnification, a universal smartphone eyepiece adapter for easy astrophotography, and a wide-field unmagnified red-dot finderscope.
Optical Tube Assembly
- Large 203mm (8") primary mirror gathers a vast amount of light for deep-sky viewing without the weight of a complicated refractor lens system
- Fast f/5 focal ratio makes the scope an excellent platform for astrophotography
- 1000mm focal length helps to produce the fast focal ratio and provides a powerful magnification potential for detailed planetary and lunar observations
- Newtonian reflector design overcomes the aperture limitations of lens systems to provide a lightweight OTA that can gather copious amounts of light
- Fully multi-coated optics improve light transmission to limit loss and diffraction, delivering accurate colors and crisp resolution
- Sturdy rack-and-pinion focuser with tension control knob
- Circular drawtube with 1.25" holder
- Optical tube only; mount and tripod required for proper use
- Cradle ring assembly allows the orientation and position of the scope, relative to the mount, to be adjusted for proper balance and to prevent interference with equipment or cables
- Vixen-style dovetail bar is compatible with a wide variety of mounts on the market, including Alt-Az, EQ, and GoTo
- Integrated carry handle adds security and safe handling during setup and breakdown
- Weight of 22 pounds
- 1.25" 25mm eyepiece yields 40x magnification
- Universal smartphone adapter attaches over eyepiece for astrophotography
- Unmagnified red-dot finderscope allows for fast subject acquisition and star-hopping techniques; mounting bracket included