The SF3 Series RED MINI-MAG Card Reader from Sonnet offloads up to two RED MINI-MAG media cards at the same time over a single Thunderbolt 3 port. The ingest speed is up to a very fast 1060 Mb/s from each card. The reader has two 40 Gb/s Thunderbolt 3 ports, the second one for daisy-chaining up to five additional Thunderbolt peripheral devices or a total of three RED MINI-MAG Card Readers. The Card Reader has a robust aluminum and stackable design, so you can daisy-chain three units in the same footprint and offload six cards at the same time over a single Thunderbolt 3 cable.
The dual card reader is RED-approved and provides an efficient solution at a time when capture resolutions and file sizes are constantly increasing. Thanks to its portable and durable design, it can be used in the studio or on location to offload to any Mac, Windows, or Linux computer with Thunderbolt 3 support. Also, two units can be rack-mounted side by side in a 1 RU rack via dedicated threaded mounting points on the bottom of each. For those with older Macs, the Thunderbolt 3 connections are backward-compatible with Thunderbolt 2 and Thunderbolt if you use an optional Apple Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter.
The RED MINI-MAG Card Reader also includes 10 Gb/s USB 3.1 Gen 2 support. This allows you to connect a USB device to the second Thunderbolt port using the proper cable or adapter, sold separately. Furthermore, the Card Reader provides full support for connecting 4K and 5K 60 Hz displays. One 4K monitor is directly supported. Two 4K monitors require either a 4K monitor with multi-stream transport support (DisplayPort out) or a Thunderbolt 3 to Dual DisplayPort adapter. A 5K monitor requires a Thunderbolt 3 to Dual DisplayPort adapter. For connected devices requiring extra power, 15W is provided to bus-powered Thunderbolt 3 peripherals, such as the SF3 Series CFast 2.0 Pro Card Reader.
- Offloads two RED MINI-MAG cards at the same time over a single Thunderbolt 3 port to any supporting Mac, Windows, or Linux computer (see Specs tab)
- Two 40 Gb/s Thunderbolt 3 ports—the second one allows daisy-chaining up to three units in total and offloading six MINI-MAG cards over a single cable; otherwise, up to five additional Thunderbolt peripheral devices can be daisy-chained
- Robust aluminum, stackable design allows setting up in a small footprint on location or in the studio; also, two units can be rack-mounted in a 1 RU space via dedicated mounting threads
- Backward-compatible with Thunderbolt 2 and Thunderbolt with the proper adapters (see above or Specs tab)
- 10 Gb/s USB 3.1 Gen 2 support
- 4K/5K 60 Hz monitor support (optional adapters are required in certain cases; see more details above)