Capture 42MP photos and UHD 4K video beneath the surface with this Ikelite 200DL Underwater Housing and Sony Alpha a7R II Mirrorless Digital Camera Body Kit from B&H. The housing is depth-rated to 200', employs mechanical controls, accepts sync cords for external strobes and can accommodate TTL flash with an optional hot shoe and converter. The camera features built-in 5-axis image stabilization and a 5-fps continuous-shooting rate. Grab your favorite lens, the appropriate lens port, and a strobe or video light, and you'll be ready to capture remarkable images and video.
Ikelite 200DL Underwater Housing for Sony Alpha A7 II, A7R II, or A7S II with Dry Lock Port Mount
Capture brilliant images of the aquatic world with your Sony Alpha A7 II, A7R II, or A7S II Mirrorless Camera in Ikelite's 200DL Underwater Housing with Dry Lock Port Mount, which has a depth rating of 200'. An Ikelite bulkhead with a manual hot-shoe connection enables reliable electrical triggering of optional external strobes via sync cords. The use of an optional TTL hot shoe and converter will allow for TTL operation with compatible Ikelite DS strobes; non-Ikelite strobes will still work in manual mode only.
Ergonomic, mechanical push-buttons, dials, and levers afford access to all important camera functions. Built for durability, the enclosure is made in the USA from a corrosion-resistant ABS plastic and polycarbonate blend. It is white on the front, top, sides, and bottom, but clear in the back to allow you to monitor the O-ring seal and maintain your view of the camera's rear controls. The supplied aluminum tray with a left-hand quick-release grip affords improved balance and handling, while offering an attachment point for an optional lighting arm.
This housing ships without a required lens port, and accepts various, interchangeable dome and flat ports for an array of lenses. For complete compatibility information, see the port chart. The Dry Lock (DL) port system accommodates lenses with large diameters, and provides added security against leaks at the surface, thanks in large part to the included vacuum valve for checking watertight integrity before the dive. You'll need to pick up the required pump to remove excess air and actually create a vacuum.
- Depth rating of 200'
- Housing is made in the USA from a corrosion-resistant ABS plastic and polycarbonate blend
- White on the front, top, sides, and bottom to reflect sunlight and keep the camera cool when shooting on or above the water's surface
- Clear in the back to allow you to monitor the O-ring seal and maintain your view of the camera's rear controls
- Double-passivated stainless steel latches are virtually unbreakable
Housing alone has nearly neutral buoyancy in fresh water, though your choice of lens and port may change the overall buoyancy of the system
- Rear seal design makes maintenance easier and prevents accidental twisting or stretching of O-ring
- Front-loading mounting plate enables quick camera installation, and does not need to be removed in order for you to gain access to the battery or memory card
- Mounting plate has a 1/4"-20 threaded hole on the bottom for connection to an optional tripod
Strobe Connection and Operation
- Use of an optional external strobe is highly recommended for color correction and adequate brightness, and basically essential once you descend deeper than 15-20' underwater
- Strobe restores hues that are absorbed by the water, ensuring that your images are vibrant and accurate
- Try to stay no more than 3-4' away from your subject to preserve natural colors in images
- Ikelite ICS-5 bulkhead with a manual hot-shoe connection enables reliable electrical triggering of strobes via sync cords
- Optional TTL hot shoe and converter, such as Ikelite's ST1K Sony Alpha Kit, will enable TTL operation with compatible Ikelite DS strobes
- Non-Ikelite strobes, such as those from Sea & Sea, INON, and Retra, will still work in manual mode only
- Older non-digital strobes can be used in manual mode
- Housing ships without a required sync cord for a strobe
- Bulkhead is located on top of the enclosure to keep the cord out of your way and reduce strain on the ends
- Ikelite's #4403 Optical Slave Converter and Aquatica's Water Wizard system are available options that will let you trigger wireless slave strobes
- Exposure compensation is available via the camera's controls
Controls and Handling
- Sensitive shutter and AF/MF/AEL levers are curved and extendable to increase comfort when using the optional right-hand grip
- Push-buttons have been modified to reduce weight and salt buildup
- Soft-touch knobs allow for a better, more comfortable grip with or without gloves
- Ergonomic, mechanical push-buttons, knobs, and levers afford access to all camera controls except for diopter adjustment dial, AF/MF/AEL switch lever, and control wheel
- Control symbols are etched into the back of the housing with lasers, so they won't fade or fall off with time
- Super-Eye Viewfinder enhances your view through the camera's OVF when you're wearing a mask
- You can remove the Super-Eye quickly if you'd like to attach the optional Straight or 45° Magnified Viewfinder instead
- Camera's LCD can be tilted during installation to give you a better viewing angle
- Ships without a required lens port
- Accepts various, interchangeable dome and flat ports for lenses
- For complete compatibility information, see the port chart linked above
- Dry Lock (DL) port system accommodates lenses with large diameters
- System also provides added security against leaks at the surface, thanks in large part to the included vacuum valve for checking watertight integrity before the dive
- Removing excess air and actually creating a vacuum will require the purchase of a pump
- DL mount can be removed and replaced by the older FL port locks, though this change would be irreversible unless you sent the housing back to Ikelite to have the DL mount installed again
Sony Alpha a7R II Mirrorless Digital Camera (Body Only)
With a world's first full-frame 42.4-megapixel Exmor R back-illuminated structure CMOS sensor, the Alpha a7R II Mirrorless Digital Camera from Sony is prepared to take mirrorless imaging to another level. This sensor design both improves low-light operation and speeds up data throughout, enabling fast high-resolution stills and UHD 4K video recording. Working with the BIONZ X image processor, these images can be produced at sensitivities up to ISO 102,400 and at a continuous 5 fps shooting rate. Five-axis SteadyShot INSIDE image stabilization has also been implemented, compensating for vertical, horizontal, pitch, yaw, and roll movements.
Speed has received a major boost with a 40% increase in speed over its predecessor. The AF system received its own massive upgrade with the use of 399 phase-detect points and 25 contrast-detect points for a speedy Fast Hybrid AF system which will offer extremely accurate tracking. The phase-detection points even extend to A-mount lenses when used with the LA-EA1 and LA-EA3 adapter.
Designed to last, the updated magnesium alloy body has improved weather sealing and a robust lens mount for working with large lenses. Also, the shutter has a reduced-vibration design, cutting down shutter vibrations by about 50%. Also, it now uses an electronic front curtain shutter and is rated for 500,000 cycles. Silent shooting is also available for a quiet shooting experience when needed.
Onto video, the major addition is internal UHD 4K 3840 x 2160p recording at 30 or 24 fps with the XAVC S format at 100 Mbps. This is possible using either the Super 35 crop mode, with no pixel binning, or the full-frame readout. Full HD 1920 x 1080p is still readily available at up to 60 fps and HD 1280 x 720p is possible at up to 120 fps. Additionally, the a7R II benefits from the inclusion of the S-Log2 Gamma and S-Gamut settings as well as fully customizable picture profiles.
Composing and reviewing your images as you work is handled with either the 0.5" 2.36M-dot XGA OLED Tru-Finder electronic viewfinder or the 3.0" 1,228.8k-dot tilting LCD monitor. The viewfinder offers 0.78x magnification and a 4-lens system with double-sided aspherical elements for comfortable viewing. The monitor helps in odd positions by tilting up 107° and down 41°. And, to stay connected, the a7R II packs in Wi-Fi connectivity with NFC for remote operation and transfer of images to a smartphone, tablet, or computer.
42.4 MP Exmor R BSI CMOS Sensor and BIONZ X Image Processor
5-Axis SteadyShot INSIDE Image Stabilization
For long focal lengths, the system will correct for pitch and yaw adjustments. Macro and high magnification imagery on the other hand will benefit from the inclusion of horizontal and vertical shift compensation. And, all shooting styles will get usage out of the roll compensation. All 5 axes of stabilization will function at all times, even when used with third-party lenses and adapters or lenses with built-in optical stabilization.
When using lenses that do not transmit imaging data to the camera, manual settings can be used to input the correct focal length and ensure proper stabilization. Also, the viewfinder can be used to preview the amount of compensation by pressing the shutter release button halfway or magnifying the image.
Fast Hybrid AF with 399 Phase-Detect Points
Another feature available with this AF system is a Lock-on AF tracking that will analyze more information from the scene to provide dramatically improved accuracy and stability. Eye AF is also available which will prioritize a subject's pupil for excellent portraits even with a shallow depth of field.
UHD 4K Video Recording in XAVC S Format
When recording internally, users will record video with a 4:2:0 sampling at 8-bit, however, to even further improve image quality the a7R II has clean HDMI output for use with an external recorder. This allows users to capture 4:2:2 uncompressed video and save in an edit-ready format.
Timecode and User Bit Settings
Customizable Picture Profiles and S-Log2 Gamma
3.0" 1,228.8k-Dot Tilting LCD Monitor
0.5" 2.36M-Dot XGA OLED Tru-Finder Electronic Viewfinder
Redesigned Grip, Shutter Release Button, and Controls
Magnesium Alloy Construction and Robust Lens Mount
Reduced-Vibration Shutter & Silent Shooting
Audio Input & Headphone Jack
Built-In Wi-Fi Connectivity with NFC
Additionally, PlayMemories Camera Apps are also supported via the built-in Wi-Fi connection, and allow you to personalize the camera's features depending on specific shooting styles. Apps are available to suit creating portraits, detailed close-ups, sports, time lapse, motion shot, and other specific types of imagery.
Other Camera Features
- Picture Effect modes: Posterization (Color, B&W), Pop Color, Retro Photo, Partial Color (R/G/B/Y), High Contrast Monochrome, Toy Camera, Soft High-Key, Soft Focus, HDR Painting, Rich-Tone Monochrome, Miniature, Watercolor, and Illustration.
- Creative Style settings: Standard, Vivid, Neutral, Clear, Deep, Light, Portrait, Landscape, Sunset, Night Scene, Autumn Leaves, Black & White, and Sepia (all with +/- 3 step contrast, saturation, and sharpness adjustment).
- Color space: sRGB standard (with sYCC gamut) and Adobe RGB standard compatible with TRILUMINOS Color.
- Picture Profile parameters: Black Level, Gamma (Movie, Still, Cine 1-4, ITU709, ITU709 [800%], S-Log2), Black Gamma, Knee, Color Mode, Color Level, Color Phase, Color Depth, Detail, Copy, and Reset.
- Scene Selection modes: Portrait, Landscape, Macro, Sports Action, Sunset, Night Portrait, Night Scene, Hand-held Twilight, and Anti Motion Blur.
- Face Detection is available to base exposure and focus on up to eight recognized faces. Furthermore, Eye AF can be used for even greater precision by maintaining critical focus on a subject's eye.
- 2x Clear Image Zoom can be used to effectively double the magnification afforded by any lens in use with minimal image degradation. For even greater magnification, 1.5x and 2x Smart zoom is available, as well as 4x digital zoom.
- Pre-flash TTL control with flash bracketing available and a variety of flash modes, including: Flash off, auto, fill-flash, rear sync, slow sync, red-eye reduction, hi-speed sync, and wireless control.