This 72mm Magnetic Quick-Swap Neutral Density 3.0 Filter from Freewell is an ND filter with a 1000x filter factor that provides a 10-stop exposure reduction. The filter's 3.0 density darkens the entire image area without affecting the image's coloration, allowing the photograph to be made with a wider aperture or slower shutter speed than usually required. Widening the aperture allows for finer control over depth-of-field to help isolate the image subject or increase bokeh. Slowing the exposure time increases blur and conveys movement more easily.
Each surface of the filter is multicoated to help eliminate internal ghosting and reflections. In addition, it features a resistance coating to repel oil, dust, and scratches, offering greater protection to the filter when working on location in harsh environments. The coatings are also hydrophobic, resulting in an improved beading effect when in contact with water or oil for easier cleaning and maintenance. The aluminum filter ring also includes 72mm front threads, permitting the use of screw-on filters with 72mm rear threads.
Features at a Glance
- Magnetic solid neutral density filter
- 3.0 ND filter darkens the entire image, allowing the use of a longer shutter speed or wider aperture than usually required
- Provides a 10-stop exposure reduction for control over depth of field and to convey movement more easily
- Filter does not affect the overall coloration of the image
- Constructed from SCHOTT B270 glass for increased optical clarity and color fidelity
- Multicoated to prevent internal ghosting and reflections
- Coated for oil, static, dirt, and scratch resistance
- Improved beading effect with water and oil for more efficient cleaning
- 72mm front filter threads allow the use of traditional screw-on filters
- Includes magnetic adapter ring, storage case, lens cap, and a microfiber cloth for cleaning and maintenance