The electronic download of the Windows-compatible PG Music Band-in-a-Box 2020 MegaPAK is automatic accompaniment and music creation software designed to provide a virtual backing band for songwriters, musicians, and composers. It can help you generate rhythm tracks, chords, melodies, and solos in a variety of musical genres from jazz to dubstep. Band-in-a-Box 2020 includes 64-bit and 32-bit application versions and can operate as a standalone app or as a VST plug-in within your DAW.
Band-in-a-Box includes a variety of features to simplify your song creation process including notation and lyrics, piano roll, 16-channel MIDI multitrack, harmonization, the style-maker and style-picker, a live performance conductor window, medley maker, and 24 multi-styles.
The Soloist and the Melodist are popular intelligent features that generate professional solos or even create whole new songs from scratch. RealDrums adds the human element of a live drummer while RealTracks add even more live session musicians, bringing the entire Band-in-a-Box arrangement to life.
The Audio Chord Wizard can analyze, extract, and show the chords from audio recordings onscreen, and then write them to the Band-in-a-Box chord sheet. The inclusion of digital audio features makes Band-in-a-Box a great tool for playing, creating, and recording your music with MIDI, vocals, and acoustic instruments. Band-in-a-Box for Windows can also record an acoustic instrument or voice to add to the composition, with processing through its own DirectX audio effects. It has built-in TC Helicon audio harmonies that will turn your audio track into multiple harmony parts or adjust its pitch, vibrato and scooping effects for realistic vocal styles, and up to sixteen choral parts.
Band-in-a-Box 2020 includes RealBand 2020, a full-featured music arranger, sequencer, and recording program for an all-in-one sequencing program with automatic accompaniment. With RealBand, you can create an arrangement with Band-in-a-Box tracks: type in the chords, add RealTracks and RealDrums that follow the chord changes, add your own tracks, and then edit and produce the finished song, without ever leaving the program. RealBand has a powerful feature set that makes it easy to produce your own song arrangements as if you were in the recording studio with top session musicians. You are provided with expanded tracks of performances by noted studio musicians and a plethora of MIDI loops and phrases to inspire and enhance creativity.
New to 2020 Version
2020 Features and Additions at a Glance
- Over 50 new features in Band-in-a-Box 2020.
- Enhancements to RealTracks (Smoother Sounding Vocal RealTracks, RealTracks Thickening, Find-a-Sub, RealTracks, and MultiRiffs).
- Most RealDrums now have RealCharts (with accurate Drum Notation).
- RealTracks Artist Browser to find info/bios/links/lists of RealTracks on all the artists.
- Updated Feature Browser allows the user to easily find and use most features/hotkeys/docs from a single window.
- Equalize Tempo allows changing a recorded rubato song to a fixed tempo.
- Enhanced audio time/pitch stretching (Élastique) included.
- SongPicker enhancements, Bass/Drums or Drums-only Auto-Intros, 3400 titles added, MusicXML enhancements, Left-Handed and Student View guitar, Drag-and-Drop enhancements, Audio Chord Wizard Multi-Window Display, and more.
Band-in-a-Box 2020 DAW Plugin
- Over 40 enhancements to the Band-in-a-Box DAW Plugin, including Audio Harmonies (apply to any DAW audio track, 1-4 voices, using intelligent BIAB-file harmonies with passing tones).
- Updated features allow customizing Tracks, Bar, and Song settings.
- RealTracks and RealDrums sound improvements (gap filling, thickening), enhancements for reading/writing more data types to/from BIAB song files, and much more.
- Over 20 additions to RealBand, including intelligent Audio-Harmonies (1-4 voice), Scrub mode, mixer enhancements, open MusicXML and XML, easier transpose, RealTracks, RealDrums sound improvements, and more.
- The Band-in-a-Box program, DAW Plugin, and RealBand can all use the latest RealTracks, RealDrums, MIDI, and style content.
202 New RealTracks in Sets 329-352
- 69 Jazz, Blues, Funk, and Latin RealTracks (Sets 329-336): The Jazz, Blues, Funk, and Latin collection this year feature a vast assortment of new RealTracks.
- Added more amazing funk and fusion styles from legendary favorites Alex Acuna, Jeff Lorber, Sput Searight, and more (33).
- RealTracks firsts such as marimba and steel drum, playing over Latin island grooves. A smokin' rhythm section of jazz-and-Latin drummer Wes Little and bassist Brian Allen playing over these and other Latin grooves such as Soca and Merengue (13).
- Added blues from long-time RealTracks artist Sol Philcox among others.
- For jazz students or any musician who wants to improve their jazz chops, there are two special sets of RealTracks which were specifically designed to work great over rhythm changes and jazz blues, respectively. These sets feature superb musicians such as PJ Perry on sax, Oliver Gannon on guitar, Neil Swainson on bass, and Miles Black on piano. And, you get sophisticated new bossa horn section styles with options for a simple, elegant trio, or a melodic lounge horn section style.
- 66 Pop, Rock, and World RealTracks (Sets 337-344): Some amazing new pop, rock, and world styles with Band-in-a-Box 2020.
- Classic rock guitar styles, both soloing and rhythm, and we've provided with three distinct sets, including blues-infused classic rock, hazy 60s hard rock, and psychedelic 70s & 80s guitar styles.
- Cinematic Metal set with both rhythm styles and a soloist.
- Added collection of vocal RealTracks with exciting gospel vocals. Vocals have a 6-voice choir, with an improvised gospel part singing over the whole thing. Set also includes new RealDrums and piano RealTracks to go along with the choir.
- Set of ska styles with drums, percussion, bass and electric playing over a variety of ska tempos and feels.
- Singer-songwriter set with lots of contemplative acoustic guitar and mellow banjo from Quinn Bachand as well as mandola, 5-string fiddle, and drums.
- Down-and-dirty blues-inspired baritone guitar from RealTracks favorite Brent Mason.
- 67 Country, Americana & Celtic RealTracks (Sets 345-352): Country, Americana, and Celtic collection with an added variety of RealTracks.
- Two sets of Country Pollwinner RealTracks, featuring musicians who have been awarded some of the most prestigious awards in the industry, such as the Academy of Country Music (ACM) Awards.
- Includes RealTracks from guitarists Danny Rader and Brent Mason, who have both won the CMA guitarist of the year. Drummers Miles McPherson and Fred Eltrington who have won CMA drummers of the year, as well as renown bassists Steve Mackey and Jimmy Carter, who are some of the busiest first-call bassists in Nashville, plus country soloist RealTracks from Nashville greats.
- Celtic Tracks: Jaw harp adds a colorful addition to previous Celtic styles and also works equally well with Bluegrass and folk styles.
- Played by Canadian Celtic master guitarist Quinn Bachand, there are excellent new guitar and bodhran styles from him, which include 12-string guitars and nylon guitars.
- Several sets of Old Time Americana RealTracks, with mandolin, and fiddle.
- Banjo Guitar or Ganjo: Built like a banjo, but has 6 strings and is tuned like a guitar. It also has a softer, more mellow tone, which gives you great versatility in Band-in-a-Box.
- Old Time styles were created with Nashville fiddle/banjo/mandolin great Andy Leftwich, Quinn Bachand on guitar, and Neil Swainson on bass.
RealTracks Thickening and Panning
- RealTracks can be the same but will play differently on each sub-track.
- You can set the stereo panning (-64 to +64) for each sub-track.
Panning added for Multiple RealTracks on a Track (Medley) for Songs, Styles and RealTracks
- Some demo songs, styles, and RealTracks have multiple RealTracks on the same track with panning in each sub-track.
Left-Handed and Student View Guitar Window
Equalize Audio Tempo
Built-in Audio Chord Wizard Enhancements
- The built-in Audio Chord Wizard is now accessible from the Audio Chord Wizard button.
- The Audio Edit window now displays chords and tempos for each bar. They are shown when the Audio Chord Wizard mode is active, so that you can see the tempo for each bar as you set the bar lines.
- When you start entering bar lines, the program automatically sets the tempo to the tempo of the first bar.
- Once the tempo of the first bar is set, the program automatically moves the location of the first bar of audio over so that the visual space of the count-in bars is visible.
- After you've added the bar lines, if you adjust the first or second bar, and the tempo of the first bar changes accordingly, the program automatically changes the tempo of the song to match.
- Multi-window display. This gives the Audio Chord Wizard a multi-window view so that you can see and edit both the Audio Edit window and the Chords Sheet at the same time. This display is best viewed with a small toolbar mode. This allows you to see the chords as they are being interpreted by the wizard.
- The Audio Chord Wizard can send the transcribed MIDI notes to the Soloist track for further analysis by the user (via Piano Roll or Notation window). Note that this is a snapshot view of every 8th note of the pitches present, not an attempt at polyphonic transcription. To use this feature, enable the MIDI to Soloist check box.
Selectable Render Bit Depth and Sample Rate
- The Render to Audio File dialog now has settings for bit depth (16, 24, 32 bit) and sample rate (44.1, 48, 96 kHz).
- The settings are also accessible from the Drop Station via dragging and dropping to the [+] button.
Drag and Drop from Mixer
Drag and Drop Files to Band-in-a-Box
- Open SongPicker in Current Folder: This opens the SongPicker in the current folder of the last loaded song.
- Open SongPicker in Home Folder: This opens the SongPicker in the home folder, which is C:\bb\My Songs or as set in the SongPicker.Styles, and can be saved with information like a memo, examples, genres, and more. This will be displayed in the StylePicker.
- Open SongPicker in Favorite Folder: This launches the Favorite Folder dialog which allows you to choose any previously used folder where a song was loaded from, and then open the SongPicker in that folder.
- In the SongPicker, there is a new Open in Home option. If this is enabled, the SongPicker will always open in the home folder instead of the current folder, when you press the default [Song] button to open the SongPicker.
Searching for songs matching a chord progression or melody has been enhanced. There are three new checkboxes: Key must match exactly, Chord Extension must match exactly, and Time Signature must match.
Bass/Drums or Drums only Auto-Intros
Custom Style Settings Don't Interfere with Song Settings
Select Best RealTracks Dialog Enhancements
- The dialog can now change its list based on the type without leaving the dialog.
- RealTracks Subs filter is available.The chord density filter is available, and it's also displayed in the memo.
- Three filters have been added for Instrument, Instrument Family, and Custom Instrument Range. (These are present in all RealTracks selection dialogs.) The chord complexity filter is available.
- There is a new Artist Bio button. Pressing this button will open the Artist Browser, which shows more info for RealTracks artists.
Drums Quicklist Dialog Enhancements
- It lists all artists and the instruments they play.
- It shows the total number of artists.
- You can read the biography of the artist.
- A text filter if available.
- The [More Info] button will launch the PG Music web page.
- The OK - Show Artist RealTracks button will go back to the RealTracks/RealDrums selection dialog and list all the RealTracks/RealDrums that the selected artist plays.
Auto-Updating for New Content at Bootup
Enhanced Stretching and Audio Harmonies
Song Titles Browser has 3,400 more titles
Auto-set key signature option and reminder
- The N mode (keystroke notation entry) now has M to add a third note and R to insert a rest.
- The Section Text and Bar Lyrics layer display on the Lead Sheet and printout when the Fake Sheet mode is on.
- Additional file types are supported, such as .mxl (a compressed format) and .musicxml, in addition to the existing .xml support.
- When you load a MusicXML file, if the source track is drums, the track type of the destination track (Melody or Soloist) will be automatically set to Drums.
- Hammer-on / pull-off are now saved to MusicXML.