The Modal Electronics ARGON8X is a monotimbral 8-voice polyphonic wavetable synthesizer with a 61-note keyboard and a true 8-voice architecture that combines the best elements of the 002, Craft, and Skulpt series instruments into a powerful, yet affordable synth with professional features well suited for musicians, producers, sound designers, and more.
The 120 carefully crafted wavetables are split into 24 banks of 5 morphable waveform sets, covering classic virtual analog waveforms through modern waveforms suitable for EDM. Many of the original Modal 002 waveforms are included as well as a whole range of mathematically generated tables. There are 32 static wavetable processors including de-rez, wave folders, wave shapers, phase shapers, and rectify that can be applied to any of the 120 wavetables for a remarkable array of permutations and new wave shapes.
The two-pole morphing resonating filter offers low-pass, band-pass, and high-pass. The powerful Mod Matrix has eight assignable slots with four fixed routes, 11 mod sources, and 52 destinations. What's more, there's a fully assignable 4-axis joystick that can be assigned to a huge range of modulation destinations and virtually locked when desired. The ARGON8X rounds out its modulation with three dedicated envelope generators for Amp, Filter, and Mod that can be addressed independently or simultaneously including negative (reverse) versions, as well as two audio rate LFOs with tempo sync (one poly, one global). Polyphonic LFO can sync to frequency divisions.
The FATAR TP9/S is a full-sized 61-note keybed with both velocity and aftertouch. The integrated 1.54" OLED display provides visual feedback of your playing and editing at all times. There are multiple keyboard modes including Mono, Poly, Unison 2, Unison, 4, Unison 8, Stack 2, and Stack 4, plus glide/portamento with both legato and staccato modes.
The built-in programmable arpeggiator of 32 steps with rest capability with up to 2048 steps before repeating, making for highly customizable pattern generation. The real-time sequencer can record up to 512 steps with input quantize and features four recordable / editable parameter animations. What's more, all time-based effects, LFO's, sequencer, and arpeggiator can be clocked internally or externally.
The rear panel offers a pair of 1/4" main outputs, a dedicated 1/4" headphone output, and two 1/4" controller inputs for expression and sustain. Additionally, there is a 3.5mm stereo input for effects processing of external signals, plus two 3.5mm analog sync I/Os for connecting to other hardware gear. The ARGON8X features several onboard effects including delays, reverbs, choruses, flangers, and phasers. A free software editor is available for download, and is compatible with macOS, Windows, iOS, Android, as well as VST3 and Audio Units. The ARGON8X includes a power cord.
- True 8-voice polyphony, mono-timbral
- 120 wavetables split into 24-banks of 5 morphable waveforms sets
- Waveforms offered include virtual analog classic, modern EDM, and several from the original Modal 002, plus a wide range of mathematically generated tables, PWM bank, four noise/modulation banks accessible on oscillator 2
- 32 static wavetable processors including de-rez, wave folders, wave shapers, phase shapers, and rectify that can be applied to the 120 static wavetables.
- 32 high-resolution wavetable oscillators, 4 per voice, with 8 types of oscillator modifiers
- Voice Drift and Width controls help to create massive stereo soundscapes
- 500 patch memories, all fully editable and ships with 300 factory programs and 200 user patch spaces
- 100 sequencer presets and 100 FX presets
- Quick Recalls accessible from the panel for quickly loading your favorite 8 patches
- FM, ring modulator, PWM
- Four fixed modulation slots plus eight assignable with 11 mod sources and 52 destinations
- Mod assignable 4-axis joystick with lock
- Three dedicated envelope generators for filter, amplitude, and modulation
- Two audio rate LFOs, one global and one polyphonic (Poly LFO can sync to frequency divisions)
- 2-pole resonant VCF, which can be morphed from low-pass, through band-pass, to high-pass
- Monophonic, duophonic, and polyphonic modes available
- Unison/stack options to detune the oscillators for a huge sound
- Waveshaping distortion FX
- MIDI clock sync for LFOs and delay
- Fully programmable arpeggiator with division, direction, octave, swing, and sustain controls
- Sequencer with real-time polyphonic note input
- Real-time sequencer with 512 notes. Includes input quantize and four animation tracks for recording knob movements, etc.
- 100 sequencer presets and 100 FX presets
- FATAR TP9/S Full size 61-note keybed with both velocity and aftertouch
- 29 front-panel encoders with shift mode for further access to functions
- Front panel transmits MIDI CC's, enabling control of external software and hardware
- MIDI I/O with 5-pin DIN sockets
- Class-compliant MIDI over USB
- Analog clock sync I/O on 3.5mm sockets
- Dedicated headphone output
- Master output on 2 x 1/4"
- Powered by 9 VDC power supply
- MODALapp editor (free download available separately) provides complete visual access and control to all ARGON8X's features—Mac, Windows, iOS, Android