Perfect for traveling beatmakers and mobile producers, this B&H Kit includes the teenage engineering OP-Z synthesizer, the teenage engineering oplab module, and a PVC roll-up bag. With a 16-track multimedia sequencer, sample- and synthesis-based sounds, wireless communication, and wired connectivity for MIDI I/O, CV/gate outputs, and more, this kit presents a powerful standalone system that also integrates tightly with other hardware and software.
teenage engineering OP-Z Synthesizer and Multimedia Sequencer
Building upon the success of the OP-1, the Teenage Engineering OP-Z is a portable all-in-one synthesizer and 16-track multimedia sequencer. The device can not only produce complete music tracks and sound effects, but is also capable of MIDI, CV, & trigger track sequencing, image & 3D graphic sequencing, and DMX light sequencing.
All 16 tracks can run independently, allowing for individual track speed and length. What's more, each step of the sequencer offers component sequencing, which adds variations per cycle, note variations, micro-sequencing, direction, parameter changes, re-triggers, and more. There are 14 different components, and each has 10 values and behavior programs, which totals 140 ways to alter a single step.
All keys are backlit with multicolor LEDs with instant machine feedback, a convenient feature for dark stages and poorly lit environments. Even the print on the unit uses a special glow-in-the-dark paint to keep you on point during a performance. There is no built-in LED screen. Instead, the OP-Z connects to your iOS device and takes advantage of its high-resolution retina display. A free iOS application pairs the two devices and further expands the feature set. Photomatic allows you to capture and arrange photographs into synchronized stop-motion photography with effects or import custom graphics and animate them in pace with your music. Media can easily be imported into the system via Dropbox. To eliminate any latency between image and sound, the OP-Z sound engine is ported to run simultaneously on your iOS device, which enables dual-domain synthesis.
Teenage Engineering have worked closely with Keijiro Takahashi and the Unity Tokyo Studio to fully integrate the OP-Z with the Unity Game Engine, allowing for stunning 3D graphics that run at full speed on an iPhone or iPad. The included toolset allows you to create your own graphics and 3D animation projects that can be integrated into the OP-Z performance platform.
An updated tape feature secretly records everything that is programmed into the sequencer in real time. With its own dedicated track, it is possible to sequence the tape and trigger the in-point, length, and speed. There are several different tape reels with different characters, which allow you to scrub, scratch, wind-up, and mess-up any programming. The OP-Z ships with a USB charging and control cable.
- Advanced multispeed, 16-track sequencer
- Step-component composing
- Endless sequencing steps
- Track independent length
- Track independent speed
- Parameter locks
- Step recording
- Live recording
- MIDI, CV, and trig track sequencing
- Image and 3D graphics sequencing
- DMX light sequencing
- 16 individual and independent synthesis, sampler, and control tracks
- FX slot 1
- FX slot 2
- CV & trig
- Patterns: 160 user-programmable patterns with endless pattern-chaining
- Effects: Upgradeable modular effects architecture including delay, reverb, filters, tremolo, and more
- Step Components: 14 multi-program step components for advanced step sequencing
- Screen: When paired, or connected to an iOS device, the device will act as a screen for OP-Z
- iOS App: OP-Z iOS app will be free to download from app store
- Compatibility: Compatible with any iOS device that is Apple metal graphics specified
- Dual-Domain Synthesis: For extreme low-latency performance
- Analog Devices Blackfin 70X DSP
- Cirrus Logic audio coprocessor
- 1250 MMACS
- 48 kHz/24-bit DAC
- 115 dB dynamic range
- Sensors: 6 axis motion sensors (g-force) assignable to any synthesizer parameter
- Tactile Input
- 2 octaves of musical keys
- 51 mechanical keys in total
- Pressure-sensitive pitch bend
- 4 x multipurpose, color-coded, high-resolution encoders
- Volume knob / on switch
- Pairing button
- Encoder Design: Floating ball bearing, hall-sensor encoders for minimal stacking height and wear
- UI: 53 LED indicators
- Microphone: Integrated MEMS microphone
- Wireless: Bluetooth 5.0 LE
- Battery: 2 years standby time
- USB Type-C
- 3.5mm 4-pole jack
- Durable Design: Ultra-rigid engineering plastic
- Housing: IXEF 1022 PARA + 50% glassfiber
teenage engineering oplab Module for the OP-Z Synthesizer
The teenage engineering oplab Module is a hardware expansion for the OP-Z synthesizer featuring MIDI I/O, CV/Gate outputs, and trigger outputs for connecting analog modular synthesizers, MIDI drum pads, MIDI keyboards, MIDI synthesizers, Pocket Operators, and more.
The module is easily installed by removing the base plate from the OP-Z and snapping into place. The first 3.5mm connector features a 3-way switch for MIDI, Trig, or PO outputs, while the second offers a 2-way switch for MIDI or Trig inputs. The third 3.5mm connector offers CV 3 and Gate outputs, while the fourth provides CV 1 and CV 2. The oplab module includes a 3.5mm to MIDI DIN adapter.
teenage engineering PVC Roll Up Bag (Green)
The green PVC Roll Up Bag from teenage engineering is designed to carry the OP-Z multimedia synthesizer and sequencer (sold separately) and made of a Polyvinyl Chloride material (PVC) which is a synthetic plastic polymer. The roll up bag is built with two touch-tab fasteners to keep the bag securely closed. This bag can be used for transport or storage and protects the instrument from dust and dirt.