Vienna Symphonic Library Big Bang Orchestra: Dorado is a virtual instrument with a library consisting of six percussionists playing together in the large hall at Synchron Stage Vienna. The performers used a wide assortment of skin and metal percussion instruments to record monster drum sounds, thunderous toms, and smashing crashes of epic size designed to lend power and drive to any track for film and game scoring, trailer music, or sound design.
The instruments were lined up at three main positions onstage (left, center, right). All positions, with one or two instruments each, were played at once and recorded with multiple microphones, including an overhead mic for every stage position and close mics for every instrument.
By combining and balancing the frequency spectrums of various instruments and experimenting with placement in the room, the team achieved powerful and fresh sounds that capture human liveliness and musicality—not only when striking in fortissimo, but also at softer, more subtle volumes.
The software is compatible with Mac and Windows and operates in AU, VST, and AAX formats.
Big Bang Orchestra: Dorado Instruments
- Huge Taiko (Odaiko Simonsen, 53"), Big Bass Drum (Kolberg), Big Surdo (Meinl)
- Big Taiko (36"), Small Bass Drum (Lefima), Small Surdo (Meinl)
- Medium Taiko (Original, 20"), Small Bass Drum (Lefima), Medium Concert Tom (Yamaha, 12")
- Big Taiko (Original, 36"), Big Bass Drum (Kolberg), Big Concert Tom (Yamaha, 16")
- Small Concert Tom (Yamaha, 8"), Medium Concert Tom (Yamaha, 12"), Big Concert Tom (Yamaha, 14")
- Small Concert Tom (Yamaha, 10"), Medium Concert Tom (Yamaha, 13"), Big Concert Tom (Yamaha, 16")
- Big Surdo (Meinl), Big Temple Block (Original), Log Drum (Kolberg)
- Medium Taiko (Original, 20"), Mridangam (Original), Small Surdo (Meinl)
- Snare Drum (Aural), Field Drum (Aural), Snare Drum (Kolberg)
- Medium Suspended Cymbal (Zildjian, 16"), Small Suspended Cymbal (Zildjian, 12"), Big Suspended Cymbal (Zildjian, 18")
- Big Piatti (Meinl, 22"), Medium Piatti (Zildjian, 20"), Small Piatti (Zildjian, 16")
- Big Tam-tam (Wuhan, 120 cm), Low Plate Bell - C2 (Kolberg), Big Suspended Cymbal (Zildjian, 18")
- Small Tam-tam (Wuhan, 50 cm), Medium Plate Bell in F#4 (Kolberg), Anvil (Kolberg)
- Big Triangle (Kolberg), Small Jingle Ring (Kolberg), Big Suspended Cymbal (Zildjian, 18")
- Small Triangle (Kolberg), Big Jingle Ring (Kolberg), Medium Suspended Cymbal (Zildjian, 16")
Modify Your Percussion Sound
- The close-mic positions of each percussion group can be independently adjusted in the integrated mixer of the Synchron Player, giving you more freedom to modify your overall percussion sound.
- 6 levels of reverberation and additional processed presets are offered for each microphone setup: Close, Classic, Wide, Distant, Ambient, and Wet.
- Change the level, panning, delay, and EQ settings for each channel. You can also insert any of the built-in FX plug-ins to further optimize your sound.
Wide Variety of Articulations
- You can select from a variety of articulations and their variations including ringing or secco (damped) single hits, played tightly or loosely between the musicians of the ensemble, with hard or soft beaters, one to four upbeats, and rolls, as well as crescendo rolls in various lengths.
- The included collection of MIDI loops can be played with the Synchron Player’s internal MIDI player.
- Room Mix Presets: Based on a room mix created from all available room microphones.
- Stereo Decca Tree Presets: The Decca Tree is the microphone tree that is the heart and soul of every orchestral recording. It consists of a main stereo channel and a mono center channel, which capture the details of the room from the conductor’s perspective.
- Surround-to-Stereo Presets: Offer the massive sound of all available room microphones, including the Decca Tree mics down-mixed to a stereo signal.
- Surround Presets: With your Synchron Player inserted as a surround plug-in in your DAW, these presets provide the starting point for your surround setup.
- Processed Presets: Use the integrated compressor to achieve an even more powerful sound.
- Main (Decca Tree stereo)
- Main (Decca Tree center)
- Main surround stereo
- High stereo
- High surround stereo
- Overhead center
- Overhead left
- Overhead right
- Percussion center close
- Percussion left close
- Percussion right close