The Sony ECM-W2BT brings vloggers, YouTubers, journalists, and content creators using Sony cameras with digital MI interfaces a flexible and easy-to-use true-wireless microphone system featuring advanced Bluetooth technology for high-quality audio and reliable, low-latency performance.
The miniature clip-on transmitter with a built-in omnidirectional microphone makes it fast and easy to mic up your subject for a quick interview without having to worry about a cable. The transmitter also features a stereo 3.5mm audio input, allowing you to connect a smaller, more discreet lavalier such as the ECM-LV1 (available separately) if desired.
The compact receiver attaches directly to the MI shoe mount on compatible Sony cameras, giving the system up to 9 hours of shooting time, assisted by the camera's power. Both the transmitter and receiver are powered via built-in rechargeable lithium-ion batteries; without an MI connection the system will operate for up to 3 hours between charges. If the camera's MI shoe is also equipped with a digital interface, the direct connection allows the camera to record pristine sound with an ultra-low noise floor.
A smart feature is the addition of a built-in microphone on the receiver unit, along with a 3-setting switch allowing you to pick up audio from either the subject at the transmitter, the camera operator at the receiver, or both at the same time for interviews. The receiver also features a 3.5mm output for connection to traditional DSLR/mirrorless cameras and a 3.5mm TRS cable is supplied along with a USB cable and a windscreen for the transmitter/mic.
Fast and Easy Wireless Audio with High-Quality Advanced Bluetooth
- The small, clip-on transmitter features an internal microphone capsule that picks up sounds cleanly and clearly to deliver a high-quality audio stream. The microphone is also effective at suppressing extraneous noise.
- The omnidirectional microphone picks up sound from all directions. Use the clip to place the microphone near the speaker's mouth, without worrying about which direction it's facing.
- The Qualcomm aptX Low-Latency Bluetooth codec is used for transmission between the microphone and receiver on the camera, ensuring low latency and undiminished audio quality. The system's reliability helps you avoid the stress of having to re-record audio due to interruptions in the recorded sound, and low latency enables you to better match the audio track with the video imagery.
Cable-Free MI Digital Connection to Select Sony Cameras
- With the convenient power interface provided by Sony cameras with an MI shoe, you can record wirelessly for up to nine hours.
- You can also benefit from improved sound quality through use of the MI Digital Audio Interface (available on compatible cameras), ensuring pristine digital sound quality.
- Both the transmitter and receiver feature built-in rechargeable batteries.
- Battery life of the receiver will be up to three hours of use when paired with cameras that do not support power supply via the Multi Interface Shoe.
Adjustable Input Levels and Windscreen for Clearer Recordings
- The unit's sophisticated attenuator function allows you to record loud audio sources at a lower volume or amplify quieter sounds, so you can easily optimize recording levels depending on the circumstances.
- The windscreen that's included with the ECM-W2BT effectively reduces wind noise as well as excessive breath noise. This means you can record clear, stable sound even when shooting outdoors on windy days.
Stable, Uninterrupted Audio Recording
- Stable wireless performance provides solid connectivity and greatly reduces the risk of interruption to the audio stream, even in crowded settings with a lot of wireless activity.
- The system provides a 650' (200 m) operating distance in locations with good visibility.
Convenient Modes for Single- and Two-Person Shoots
- The ECM-W2BT can easily be used to record the voices of two people—the camera operator and the subject—at the same time.
- With microphones built into both the transmitter and receiver units, the ECM-W2BT is perfect for quick single-operator recording.
- The audio sources can be mixed and recorded together using the MIX mode.
- A single switch on the receiver makes it easy to select the pick-up mode needed for your shoot. There are three pickup modes to choose from: capturing audio from the microphone only, the receiver only, or a mix of both microphone and receiver.
- For multiperson shoots, use the provided connector protect holder as a microphone stand and set the mic in a central position; the 360° omnidirectional microphone will capture audio from all participants.
3.5mm Input on Transmitter for Smaller Lav Mic Option
- The 3.5mm input jack lets you attach a compact external lavalier microphone (available separately) for a more discreet visual appearance.
- The optional ECM-LV1 lavalier, for example, can be easily concealed in your subject's clothing, capturing up-close stereo audio that's then transmitted over the long-distance wireless range available to the ECM-W2BT.
Tough, Compact, and Lightweight Design for Superior Mobility
- With its moisture- and dust-resistant design, the ECM-W2BT is ready for dependable use in any environment. The components incorporate weather-sealed seams and port covers for reliable, interruption-free operation outdoors.
- The compact size of the system is perfect for shooting outdoors or on location. At just 0.95 oz for the microphone/transmitter unit and 0.99 oz for the receiver, it won't weigh you down during a shoot.
Use with a Wide Range of Devices
- An extensive range of cameras and other devices can be connected to the receiver unit.
- Equipment such as PCs and digital voice recorders that support audio input but don't have a Multi Interface Shoe can be connected via the 3.5mm stereo mini-jack output port.
Safeguards to Prevent Recording Failures
- To avoid accidental interruptions during audio recording, the ECM-W2BT is equipped with display lamps that confirm successful operation.
- The LINK lamp indicates the status of transmission between the microphone and the receiver, and the POWER lamp warns when the remaining battery charge is getting low.