By B&H Photo's
Impressive Speed and Sharpness
Combining speed, versatility, and quality, the Sony FE 50mm f/1.2 GM is a normal-length prime that flexes a bright f/1.2 design and advanced optics while remaining portable and lightweight for everyday shooting. As a G Master lens, resolution and bokeh are top priorities, and this 50mm f/1.2 goes on to also include a sophisticated focusing system to suit both stills and video needs and a reliable physical design that's intuitive to use and durable enough for working in harsh environments.
G Master Resolution and Bokeh
G Master lenses prioritize sharpness and bokeh quality by featuring advanced optical designs and specialized elements.
- Three XA (extreme aspherical) elements effectively control astigmatism, field curvature, coma, distortion, and other spherical aberrations for a high degree of sharpness and accurate rendering.
- Nano AR Coating II has been applied to reduce surface reflections, flare, and ghosting for increased contrast and color rendering in strong lighting conditions. This updated coating is better suited for larger, curved elements and is especially adept at minimizing internal reflections.
- Floating focus mechanism helps to ensure optimum and consistent sharpness throughout the focusing range.
Exceptional Speed and Versatility
- Normal 50mm focal length suits a variety of subjects and shooting applications, ranging from portraiture and street shooting to landscapes, lifestyle, and architectural subjects.
- Truly impressive f/1.2 maximum aperture yields extremely shallow depth of field results for separating subjects from busy backgrounds using selective focus.
- Beyond depth of field control, the f/1.2 design also benefits shooting handheld and working with faster shutter speeds in low-light conditions.
- Rounded 11-blade diaphragm helps produce a smooth and circular bokeh quality.
Fast and Precise AF
Four XD Linear Motors provide quick, quiet, and precise autofocus and subject tracking performance. This design also contributes to more natural, intuitive Linear Response manual focus control and an AF/MF switch is located on the lens barrel for tactile control over this setting.
- XD (extreme dynamic) linear motors deliver high thrust to efficiently move larger, heavier elements and focus groups, such as those needed to produce an f/1.2 lens. This focusing system also achieves accurate focus when working with extremely shallow depth fo field effects.
- Internal focusing design offers more responsive focusing performance and maintains a consistent overall lens length during operation.
- Minimum focusing distance of 1.3' suits making dynamic close-up images.
- A close minimum focusing distance, maximum magnification of 0.17x, and bright f/1.2 aperture help create shallow depth of field imagery with a strong close-up subject and a soft background.
Compact and Durable Design
- Despite the wide f/1.2 maximum aperture, complex optical design, and inclusion of a high-performance AF system, this lens manages to still be relatively compact and lightweight for everyday handheld use, measuring 3.4 x 4.4" and weighing 1.7 lb.
- Two focus hold buttons are featured on the lens barrel for intuitive tactile control and rapid access to select settings.
- Physical aperture ring can be de-clicked for smooth, silent aperture switching to benefit video applications.
- Dust- and moisture-sealed design better permits working in inclement conditions and rubberized control rings benefit handling in colder temperatures.
- Fluorine-coated front element resists dust, moisture, and fingerprints and is easy to clean.