By B&H Photo's
Normal-Length Portable Prime
A classic focal length with an especially compact profile, the Sony FE 50mm f/2.5 G is an inherently versatile prime lens capable of handling subjects ranging from portraiture to street to landscapes. This G Series lens is characterized by a notably stylish build and sophisticated optics, making it a go-to single-lens choice for everyday walk-around shooting.
Matched Set of Compact Primes
Together with the FE 24mm f/2.8 and 40mm f/2.5 G lenses, these three lenses form a cohesive trio with similar styling, image quality, and ergonomics:
- All lenses prioritize a compact profile with an emphasis on intuitive handling; each features a manual aperture ring along with other tactile controls.
- The three lenses share the same 49mm filter ring diameter.
- Matched aluminum finish with stylish focal length and aperture engravings, both aperture and focusing rings, and matching metal lens hoods.
G Lens Series
- Two aspherical elements promote more uniform sharpness across the frame by suppressing spherical aberrations and distortions.
- One extra-low dispersion glass element controls color fringing and chromatic aberrations for improved clarity and color fidelity.
- Rounded 7-blade diaphragm contributes to a pleasing bokeh quality when employing selective focus techniques.
Focus Control for Stills and Video
- Two linear motors deliver quick and accurate autofocus performance, along with capable subject tracking for working with fast-moving subjects. This AF system is also especially quiet to suit its use for cine applications.
- Internal focusing design limits the overall length of the lens for faster, more responsive focusing.
- Linear Response manual focus control offers more natural handling and an AF/MF switch is located on the lens barrel for tactile control over this setting.
- Customizable focus hold buttons are present on the lens barrel for intuitive tactile control and rapid access to select settings.
- Impressive close-up performance for working with close-up subjects; this lens has a minimum focusing distance of 12.2" with MF (13.8" with AF), which results in a 0.21x maximum magnification.
- Physical aperture ring can be de-clicked for smooth, silent aperture switching to benefit video applications.
- Lens measures 1.8" and weighs 6.2 oz, making it a great portable choice that's well-suited to both full-frame and APS-C bodies.
- Dust- and moisture-sealed design better permits working in inclement conditions.
- Fluorine-coated front element is easy to clean and resists dust, moisture, and fingerprints.