A high-resolution update to the original fp, the Sigma fp L is a compact and modular mirrorless camera featuring a new 61MP full-frame sensor, improved autofocus performance, and a versatile feature-set catering to both photography and cinematography applications.
Identical in form to the first fp, and maintaining accessories compatibility, the fp L is small enough to disappear into a rig for filmmaking uses or serve as a highly portable option for travel photography. The improved sensor and focusing greatly benefits photography use while also maintaining the same impressive video recording capabilities for a professional cinema workflow.
The new 61MP full-frame BSI CMOS sensor suits high-resolution stills shooting and up to UHD 4K video recording with 12-bit raw output when recording externally. The BSI design of the sensor achieves low noise and offers a sensitivity range up to ISO 25600 for working in low-light conditions. The sensor's design also now includes on-chip phase-detection autofocus, which greatly improves focusing speed and accuracy, especially when tracking moving subjects.
Beyond sensor upgrades, the fp L also introduces the ability to receive continuous power via USB-C to benefit extended recording times, such as when shooting time-lapses, extended clips, or when using the camera as a webcam. The sleek and minimal design of the camera body incorporates a rear 3.15" 2.1m-dot touchscreen LCD and the fp L is also compatible with the EVF-11 Electronic Viewfinder; an optional auxiliary EVF for clear eye-level monitoring. A single SD card slot is available for internal file saving and the fp L also supports recording directly to USB-C-connected hard drives, benefitting raw video recording and other large file size recording applications.
61MP Full-Frame BSI CMOS Sensor
- Despite the use of a more conventional Bayer array sensor, Sigma has used their experience working with Foveon sensors to inform their decision to include a low-pass filter in the sensor design to help to suppress moiré for accurate color rendering.
- Ultra-high resolution enables the Crop Zoom function, available for stills and video recording, which lets you crop into the image by up to 5x to simulate working with a longer focal length.
- Electronic shutter only design helps to achieve the compact camera size and reduces the number of moving mechanical parts. This design results in quiet and shake-free shooting with a top shutter speed of 1/8000 sec, however, only affords a top flash sync speed of 1/15 sec.
- Lossless compressed 14-bit raw stills are saved as DNG files for post-production flexibility.
- Continuous shooting at full resolution is supported at up to 10 fps.
- Various aspect ratios, ranging from the standard 3:2 to more unique 21:9, 7:6, and 2:1 ratios, can be used in-camera for help previsualize different output ratios.
Hybrid Autofocus System
UHD 4K Video, 12-Bit Raw Output
- Camera body has an internal stereo microphone, suitable for scratch audio recording, and a 3.5mm microphone port for working with an external mic. If working with the EVF-11 Electronic Viewfinder, that accessory incorporates a 3.5mm headphone port for audio monitoring.
- Making the fp L a unique tool for filmmakers working with other cameras in production environments, the camera can be used with a Director's Viewfinder mode to simulate the shooting range, frame guide, and field of view of other cinema cameras. This feature has been updated with the fp L with wider camera compatibility, and now includes ARRI ARRICAM, ARRIFLEX, ALEXA LF, ALEXA Mini LF, ALEXA SXT, ALEXA Mini, AMIRA, ALEXA65, ALEXA XT; Sony VENICE; and RED MONSTRO 8K, HELIUM 8K, DRAGON 6K, EPIC MX 5K, GEMINI 5K, and KOMODO 6K camera options.
- For in-camera adjustment over color and tone, Color Modes can be applied and adjusted directly to footage. Two new Color Modes have been added with the fp L: Powder Blue and Duotone.
- Electronic image stabilization helps to reduce camera shake when recording video.
- Camera movement control is compatible with select gimbal models.
- The fp L can be used as a webcam by simply plugging the camera into a computer via USB-C to send both video and audio signals to the computer.
- Integrated Cinemagraph function for producing unique hybrid images that blend the movement of video with a still image.
- Support for still capture during live view and movie shooting in Cine mode, as well as the ability to pull still frames from CinemaDNG and MOV movie files.
Modular Camera Design
- Compatible with accessory hand grips, viewfinders, plates, and a hot shoe unit to create a camera form factor that suits a variety of intended uses. The plain rectangular camera body shape also promotes easier compatibility with third-party cages and other rigging accessories.
- Used in conjunction with other members of the L-Mount Alliance, the L lens mount is a versatile interface with a mount diameter of 51.6mm and a flange distance of 20mm for working with a broad range of optics.
- USB Type-C port supports continuous power, and in-camera battery charging, via an accessory power bank for extended shooting times, time-lapse recording, or other instances when longer battery life is required.
- Included BP-51 lithium-ion battery pack provides approximately 240 shots per charge.
- HDMI Type-D and 3.5mm microphone ports are also integrated in the body's design.
- Integrated 3.15" 2.1m-dot LCD has a touchscreen design for intuitive handling.
- Compatible with optional EVF-11 Electronic viewfinder, which attaches to the left side of the camera body, for eye-level monitoring.
- Intuitive top switch for changing between CINE and STILL menu and user interface modes to suit different recording methods.
- Benefitting working with multiple fp L cameras, custom settings can be saved and shared to other bodies via a QR code. Also, screenshots can be taken of the rear LCD and saved for review.
- The body features three 1/4"-20 threaded mounts—two on the sides and one on the bottom—for connecting accessory grips, viewfinders, and even the camera strap, as well as the bottom mount for attaching the camera to a tripod or other mount.
- Included HU-11 Hot Shoe Unit for external flash use or for working with other shoe-mounted accessories.
- Large heat sink between LCD and camera body helps to efficiently dissipate heat and promote longer continuous recording times.
- Dust- and splash-resistant body design promotes working in inclement weather conditions.