The sensor and processor combination also avails fast continuous shooting at up to 10 fps at full resolution, for up to 76 consecutive frames, and with full-time AF/AE when working with either a mechanical shutter or an electronic shutter. If shooting in live view mode, a continuous shooting rate of up to 8 fps is also possible.
- Lock-on AF maintains focus on moving subjects throughout the use of a configurable frame that is set over the desired moving subject
- Expand Flexible Spot employs neighboring focus points to retain focus on moving subjects even if the originally selected point loses focus
- Eye AF can be used to base focus on recognized human subjects' eyes for portraits and is available in both AF-S and AF-C modes, for both stills and video. Eye AF can be used when photographing animal subjects, too, with any focusing mode when shooting stills
- Focus Magnifier function can be used for critical focus when homing in on minute subject details
- Rear touchscreen can also be used for Touch Focus control, and a Touchpad Focus Control mode lets you use the rear screen intuitively while keeping your eye to the viewfinder
- For more personalized control over focus, and benefitting working in either vertical or horizontal shooting orientation, the AF area can be switched in orientation to better suit your subject matter
- AF tracking sensitivity can also be customized in five steps to match how a subject is moving
- Frequently used focus point settings can be memorized and recalled with a custom button for faster switching between focus settings
For long focal lengths, the system will correct for pitch and yaw adjustments. Macro and high-magnification imagery, on the other hand, will benefit from the inclusion of horizontal and vertical shift compensation. All shooting styles will get usage out of the roll compensation. All 5 axes of stabilization will function at all times, even when used with third-party lenses and adapters or lenses with built-in optical stabilization.
- Internal recording of UHD 4K video is possible in multiple frame rates up to 30 fps using the full width of the sensor with 8-bit 4:2:0 color sampling using the 100Mbps XAVC S codec.
- Oversampled 4K recording is also possible, which uses a 5K capture area with a Super 35 crop for greater detail. This full pixel readout is void of pixel binning for higher quality imagery with reduced moiré and aliasing.
- Full HD 1080p recording is also supported in frame rates up to 120 fps. The high-speed, 120 fps recording also enables 4x and 5x Slow& Quick Motion (S&Q) movie recording with the frame rate set to either 30p or 24p.
- In addition to high-resolution internal recording, uncompressed HDMI output also enables the use of an optional external recorder for clean 4K recording with 4:2:2 sampling.
- 4K video recording also avails the ability to produce 8MP stills during playback by taking a frame grab from a movie and storing it as a separate file.
- HLG (Hybrid Log-Gamma) support permits recording within a wide color gamut for producing HDR-ready content directly from the camera.
- S-Log3 is also available for producing a 14+-stop dynamic range with increased grading control in the shadow to mid-tone regions of the image.
- An updated Quad-VGA OLED Tru-Finder EVF is featured and has a 3.69m-dot resolution for bright, clear viewing in high detail. Both Standard and High-quality settings can be used, depending on the shooting situation, in order to optimize the viewing experience.
- In addition to the EVF, a 3.0" 2.36m-dot rear LCD is also available, which has a touch panel design for intuitive operation and focusing control. The screen also tilts upward 107° and downward 41° to benefit working from high and low angles.
- Magnesium alloy chassis assures rigidity, durability, and stability while remaining lightweight. The lens mount has also been improved to better support heavy lenses and the grip rigidity has been improved for more comfortable handholding.
- A durable shutter unit incorporates a coreless motor and brake system that reduces vibrations to better control shutter shock as well as extend its rated lifespan to approximately 500,000 actuations.
- Weather-sealing has been employed to resist dust and moisture for reliable operation in harsh weather conditions.
- Using the same NP-FZ100 battery as the a9, the a7R IIIA has improved battery life and is now rated for approximately 530 shots per charge with the EVF or 640 shots with the rear LCD.
- Dual SD memory card slots allow for flexible file saving and handling and can be configured to partition raw and JPEG files or can be used for overflow recording. One of the card slots is rated to support UHS-II memory cards.
- Integrated PC sync terminal for wired flash sync with strobe packs or wireless radio remotes.
- A USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-C port has been added, in addition to a micro-USB port, for faster, more reliable tethering support. The USB Type-C connection allows the camera to be charged from the host power source while connected.
- The a7R IIIA features a 3.5mm microphone input jack for compatibility with external microphones. And for users needing more, the camera is also compatible with the Sony XLR-K2M XLR Adapter for recording professional balanced XLR audio signals with phantom power and adjustable mic/line inputs. For monitoring audio, a 3.5mm headphone jack is available as well as real time audio levels for a visual reference.
- Built-in Wi-Fi enables the a7R IIIA to instantly share imagery to mobile devices for direct sharing online to social networking, via email, and to cloud storage sites. NFC (Near Field Communication) is also supported, which allows for one-touch connection between the camera and compatible mobile devices; no complex set-up is required. Once connected, the linked mobile device can also display a live view image on its screen and remotely control the camera's shutter.
- Bluetooth connectivity allows for location data acquisition.
The Watson NP-FZ100 V2 Lithium-Ion Battery Pack is compatible with the same camera models as the Sony NP-FZ100 battery, and also supports the latest generation camera models. This replacement battery pack features a capacity of 2000mAh, 7.2V of output power, and 16.4 watt-hours. Small and lightweight, lithium-ion batteries can be charged or discharged at any time in their load cycle without developing memory effect.
Store, protect, and transport your Nikon D850 or similar-sized camera with attached 24-70mm lens, plus an additional 70-200mm lens, a flash, and related accessories in this lightweight Retrospective 7M Shoulder Bag from Think Tank Photo. Alternatively, you can fit a small drone, its controller, and accessories in place of your camera equipment.
This handsome minimalist bag is designed to blend in and doesn't look like a camera bag. Made of durable cotton canvas that has been treated for water resistance, it has a large flap with dual turn buckles to keep it securely closed and an interior nylon lining padded with closed-cell foam for protection. The main compartment has padded touch-fastening PE-reinforced dividers for organizing your gear. A large pocket under the flap will hold and organize memory cards, cables, your wallet, keys, and other smaller gear.
A pocket on the back of the bag holds papers and documents like boarding passes safely and securely with fast access to them. A water bottle/accessory pocket on the exterior can be collapsed and strapped tight to further minimize the profile. A simple webbing rail accommodates modular pouches or a carabineer, so you can further customize the bag to your needs and gear. Carry the Retrospective 7M by the padded removable top handle, or wear it with the adjustable padded shoulder strap. You can also attach it to the handle of a rolling carry-on bag. To further protect your valuable gear, your friends at Think Tank included a seam-sealed rain cover.
The 128GB SF-M Tough Series UHS-II SDXC Memory Card from Sony features a storage capacity of 128GB and takes advantage of the UHS-II bus to support advanced DSLR functions such as continuous shutter bursts and rapid shooting, as well as RAW and JPEG captures. This card is also well-suited for video capture, including 4K, Full HD, and 3D video. It can achieve maximum read speeds of up to 277 MB/s and maximum write speeds of up to 150 MB/s. Thanks to its V60 speed class rating, minimum write speeds are guaranteed not to drop below 60 MB/s.
To help facilitate card usage in almost any environment, as well as keeping your content safe, Sony has built the Tough Series with a rugged design that can withstand drops up to 16.4' / 5m, immersion in up to 16.4' / 5m of water for up to 72 hours, and is bend and dust proof, as well as able to withstand temperature extremes from -13 to 185°F. The Tough Series is also up to 18 times stronger than standard SD media (180N compared to 10N) and features a one-piece molded construction that is ribless with no write protect switch, helping to further guard against physical damage that can affect SD cards, such as a broken plastic casing, a broken data protection lock, and broken connector ribs. Should the card's data become compromised, you also benefit from the option to download File Rescue software for free to help recover deleted content.
UHS-II media achieves its speed through an extra row of pins and while this card has been designed for cameras that are UHS-II / V60 compatible, it may be used in devices that do not support UHS-II / V60. However, bear in mind that this card will then default to your device's speed class and bus rating, such as UHS-II and V30, which supports minimum write speeds of 30 MB/s, or UHS-I and U3, which also supports minimum write speeds of 30 MB/s. If your device does not support U3, this card is compatible with the U1 and Class 10 standards, each of which guarantees minimum write speeds of 10 MB/s. When used in a UHS-I device, this card delivers read speeds of up to 95 MB/s and write speeds of up to 90 MB/s.